Reaction score
what do you mean my "attitude"

i have all the avy training you can get

i have all the equiptment and whatnot

i have all the backvountry intelligence needed

i sit back and watch idiots do stupid stuff

i play safe and can read the terrain

no need to boycott snowmobiling because of some bad avys

im not some redneck loose cannon on the mountain.

the avy rescuers said it themselves..why stop sledding?

I don't mean anything bad by this Maxwell,........ but so did Abert from the information I have heard. JUst something to think about.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you saying i have a lack of REGARD? come ride with me you might change ur mind

Sorry for being off topic - but Maxwell - I will never sled with you. ----------I am out

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's most likely to late this year to organize a sled tribute, but maybe next year we try to organize a ride from Stony Plain to Entwhistle or something along those lines. I'm sure we could get the RCMP involved for any traffic issues that may come along....any thoughts?

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I would imagine when everyone has had time to deal with their individual losses tributes will be made. I had never met Albert Beck but from reading the posts of family and freinds I can undertand why he was so loved and respected. By no means is any one life more valuable than any other however given Mr. Becks contribution and dedication to the sport I would be very surprised if Ron and his family did not organize an anual event in his honor and most likely honoring all fallen riders....In Occupational Health and safety we have the anual "Day of Mourning" to honor those who have lost thier lives in the course of employment, I would suggest that maybe in the future such an event facilitated by the ASA and local riding clubs could be organized to bring awareness to the dangers as well as bringing together all those who enjoy the sport.

Just my thoughts.....RIP to the Fallen, past and future.

Bogger:beer:

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
It's most likely to late this year to organize a sled tribute, but maybe next year we try to organize a ride from Stony Plain to Entwhistle or something along those lines. I'm sure we could get the RCMP involved for any traffic issues that may come along....any thoughts?

i like that and the idea of the plaques of the names of the fallen at the start of mountain trails

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many high powered sleds taking people into places they shouldn't be and too many people calling themselves "experienced" these days is leading up to the bad year. No one take this the wrong way, I'm not pointing fingers or laying blame, just throwing down my jumbled thoughts on the whole thing. I have typed most of this up at some point or another, only to delete my reply to a thread before submitting it. I feel that maybe now is as good a time as any to share this. Please don't critize me as a person, feel free to debate my thoughts if you feel so inclined. Sorry if its long-winded.

I don't know anyone here so I'm not going to comment on your abilities, but I see so many people out there thinking that they have a clue and they don't. I'm betting there were lots of "experienced" riders where we were last weekend, and we saw lots of stupid things being done. Some folks are exceptions to the rule like a tragedies we have had on this site, but for the others they need to get their EGO's in check. Go out and have a good time, stay off the hills if things are sliding. Riding in the hills 3-5 times a year does not make you experienced, regardless of how many trips around the yard you made on Dad's old 340 Panther when you were 9.

A big head on your shoulders and lots of HP in the hills with limited experience = prescription for disaster. I hear people say this is the one of the worst years we have seen, and this emphasizes a lack of experience as I have seen poor avy conditions like this before in my sledding career. Maybe for not as prolonged a period, but definitely avy conditions this bad. The issue is more people accessing the backcountry and more people in areas where they probably shouldn't be, but they can get there so why not go right?

I have had three friends die sledding in my almost 20 years of riding the hills, but I will not stop sledding because of it, nor will I stop sledding because of the good people that have died this year (RIP Mark, Kevin and Wayne). I have the gear, I have the training, I don't have a big ego and don't feel the need to highmark anyone, regardless of how much they brag up their sled and need someone to bring them down a peg or two. :) I know that the adrenaline rush of pulling a big chute will be there the next time, when its safe.

I started riding the hills when I was young (6 yrs old) on a 1978 440 Everest and I'm from southern BC, now living in AB and I ride the hills a lot each year. I usually spend at least two weeks at home in southern BC in the winter just riding, not including forays to Revy, Fernie, etc throughout the season. My dad (thanks for teaching me everything) has been riding those same mountains since 1970. Think you got experience now? I have never been buried or partially buried, I don't ride if I feel its not safe. I do not live life with a cavalier attitude, I promote safety in everything I do, my job, etc. I wear hearing and eye protection when working in my garage when grinding, drilling etc. Would you call me unsafe if you stopped reading at this point?

I have also raced cars on the oval track, sky dived, own a hillclimb motorcycle, etc etc

Yes, you need to modify your riding a bit in a year like this, go to different riding areas, but to get on the internet and tell people that they are being selfish and not thinking of their loved ones if they go to the hills is judgemental and unwarranted IMO. We are not all alike, even if people try and paint us all with the same brush. This will be a season or another day where maybe you just go out for a ride and sit on the meadows, have a beverage with the riding buddies and not climb any big hills, but still have the ability to go out and enjoy a day outside with friends or family and experience the awesome feeling of being in the thin mountain air.

I'm not saying people have imposed their personal ideas on others on all the threads on thsi site, but it has happened on this site, quite blatantly by some people. They have no idea what my life is like or what each one of us goes through in life. My wife, parents, sister, niece and nephew and friends are all in the forefront of my mind when I hit the hills, when I'm driving, etc, I would not jeopardize one day of life with them for all the sledding days I have left. If I had to give up my life for anyone of them, I would without hesitation.

I'm not stupid, I know the risks better than most IMO, I have lost lots of good people to the white ghost and I surely don't want to lose anymore. Which is why I try and educate my "less experienced" buddies so that they will make the right choices as well. I say they are "less experienced" in relation to me, I'm not calling myself experienced.

That being said, I will continue to go out and ride, this year and the next, my family and friends trusting me to be safe and me being safe out there. I live life with the opinion that when I go, I want to leave the earth with no regrets. Its not a careless attitude, its my personal feeling on how much I want to get out of life. Not that I'm careless, but I like the saying: "I'd rather die trying to live than live trying not to die." There are things in my life that I feel are worth living for (i.e. more sledding, days at the lake with family) and I won't be careless to jeopardize those things, but I'm also going to live and enjoy life as much as possible while I'm here.

I think the biggest tribute to sledders that have died is to not let them die in vain, which we all have already done by ensuring that others think about their actions before they do it. They would also want us to go on (I know I would). By these actions, everyone we have lost has not died in vain.

To the many that are hanging it up for the year, you have honoured them with your personal choice. The ones that are continuing to ride, (the defiant ones that "will not go gently into the night"), you are honouring them by showing the same courage that they had, by not giving up your passion. I feel they would want us to each follow our hearts, down whichever path they lead us.

These are my words.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
what do you mean my "attitude"

i have all the avy training you can get

i have all the equiptment and whatnot

i have all the backvountry intelligence needed

i sit back and watch idiots do stupid stuff

i play safe and can read the terrain

no need to boycott snowmobiling because of some bad avys

im not some redneck loose cannon on the mountain.

the avy rescuers said it themselves..why stop sledding?

All the above may be true... all I am saying is that you should have some humble pie and approach your riding the same way... don't think that you can out smart mother nature... what I am afraid of is that mother nature still has a couple tricks up her sleeve and you will be to ignorant to the fact since you feel that youare perfectly set up to avoid all hazards...

I will take a pass on the offer to ride with you dude!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many high powered sleds taking people into places they shouldn't be and too many people calling themselves "experienced" these days is leading up to the bad year. No one take this the wrong way, I'm not pointing fingers or laying blame, just throwing down my jumbled thoughts on the whole thing. I have typed most of this up at some point or another, only to delete my reply to a thread before submitting it. I feel that maybe now is as good a time as any to share this. Please don't critize me as a person, feel free to debate my thoughts if you feel so inclined. Sorry if its long-winded.

I don't know anyone here so I'm not going to comment on your abilities, but I see so many people out there thinking that they have a clue and they don't. I'm betting there were lots of "experienced" riders where we were last weekend, and we saw lots of stupid things being done. Some folks are exceptions to the rule like a tragedies we have had on this site, but for the others they need to get their EGO's in check. Go out and have a good time, stay off the hills if things are sliding. Riding in the hills 3-5 times a year does not make you experienced, regardless of how many trips around the yard you made on Dad's old 340 Panther when you were 9.

A big head on your shoulders and lots of HP in the hills with limited experience = prescription for disaster. I hear people say this is the one of the worst years we have seen, and this emphasizes a lack of experience as I have seen poor avy conditions like this before in my sledding career. Maybe for not as prolonged a period, but definitely avy conditions this bad. The issue is more people accessing the backcountry and more people in areas where they probably shouldn't be, but they can get there so why not go right?

I have had three friends die sledding in my almost 20 years of riding the hills, but I will not stop sledding because of it, nor will I stop sledding because of the good people that have died this year (RIP Mark, Kevin and Wayne). I have the gear, I have the training, I don't have a big ego and don't feel the need to highmark anyone, regardless of how much they brag up their sled and need someone to bring them down a peg or two. :) I know that the adrenaline rush of pulling a big chute will be there the next time, when its safe.

I started riding the hills when I was young (6 yrs old) on a 1978 440 Everest and I'm from southern BC, now living in AB and I ride the hills a lot each year. I usually spend at least two weeks at home in southern BC in the winter just riding, not including forays to Revy, Fernie, etc throughout the season. My dad (thanks for teaching me everything) has been riding those same mountains since 1970. Think you got experience now? I have never been buried or partially buried, I don't ride if I feel its not safe. I do not live life with a cavalier attitude, I promote safety in everything I do, my job, etc. I wear hearing and eye protection when working in my garage when grinding, drilling etc. Would you call me unsafe if you stopped reading at this point?

I have also raced cars on the oval track, sky dived, own a hillclimb motorcycle, etc etc

Yes, you need to modify your riding a bit in a year like this, go to different riding areas, but to get on the internet and tell people that they are being selfish and not thinking of their loved ones if they go to the hills is judgemental and unwarranted IMO. We are not all alike, even if people try and paint us all with the same brush. This will be a season or another day where maybe you just go out for a ride and sit on the meadows, have a beverage with the riding buddies and not climb any big hills, but still have the ability to go out and enjoy a day outside with friends or family and experience the awesome feeling of being in the thin mountain air.

I'm not saying people have imposed their personal ideas on others on all the threads on thsi site, but it has happened on this site, quite blatantly by some people. They have no idea what my life is like or what each one of us goes through in life. My wife, parents, sister, niece and nephew and friends are all in the forefront of my mind when I hit the hills, when I'm driving, etc, I would not jeopardize one day of life with them for all the sledding days I have left. If I had to give up my life for anyone of them, I would without hesitation.

I'm not stupid, I know the risks better than most IMO, I have lost lots of good people to the white ghost and I surely don't want to lose anymore. Which is why I try and educate my "less experienced" buddies so that they will make the right choices as well. I say they are "less experienced" in relation to me, I'm not calling myself experienced.

That being said, I will continue to go out and ride, this year and the next, my family and friends trusting me to be safe and me being safe out there. I live life with the opinion that when I go, I want to leave the earth with no regrets. Its not a careless attitude, its my personal feeling on how much I want to get out of life. Not that I'm careless, but I like the saying: "I'd rather die trying to live than live trying not to die." There are things in my life that I feel are worth living for (i.e. more sledding, days at the lake with family) and I won't be careless to jeopardize those things, but I'm also going to live and enjoy life as much as possible while I'm here.

I think the biggest tribute to sledders that have died is to not let them die in vain, which we all have already done by ensuring that others think about their actions before they do it. They would also want us to go on (I know I would). By these actions, everyone we have lost has not died in vain.

To the many that are hanging it up for the year, you have honoured them with your personal choice. The ones that are continuing to ride, (the defiant ones that "will not go gently into the night"), you are honouring them by showing the same courage that they had, by not giving up your passion. I feel they would want us to each follow our hearts, down whichever path they lead us.

These are my words.

MODMAN, well said, worth the read guys

couldnt agree more

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
x2 man that is very true everything you said alot of us do not know what to do..
i love sledding and will be 70 years old and still continue to do so

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im with you Mod man ,I personally am not going to stop riding this year or ever hopefully,as for those that our thats fine and maybe a good decision for you if your heads not in it and its not fun and exciting then why go.Ive lost friends do to motersports before and its hard to climb back in the drivers seat after that,but I no they would want me to keep feelin the rush that they loved to feel to,so take your time and think of those lost but remember we all do it for the rush and comrodery of being in the backcountry on fast machines,we try to be as safe as possible out there{well most of us}but part of mountain riding is danger.if we didnt like the rush we would just ride the groomed trails always,so if you are going to ride be as safe as you can but enjoy the ride as those we have lost would have.
Jim

700WFO

Reaction score
I would imagine when everyone has had time to deal with their individual losses tributes will be made. I had never met Albert Beck but from reading the posts of family and freinds I can undertand why he was so loved and respected. By no means is any one life more valuable than any other however given Mr. Becks contribution and dedication to the sport I would be very surprised if Ron and his family did not organize an anual event in his honor and most likely honoring all fallen riders....In Occupational Health and safety we have the anual "Day of Mourning" to honor those who have lost thier lives in the course of employment, I would suggest that maybe in the future such an event facilitated by the ASA and local riding clubs could be organized to bring awareness to the dangers as well as bringing together all those who enjoy the sport.

Just my thoughts.....RIP to the Fallen, past and future.

Bogger:beer:

Well said, I think the family and friends of all those involved have their plates very full at this time and need some time to just deal with what's going on at this time without trying to add anything else. Next year provides the opportunity for proper planning and allows people time to heal before attending something hastily put together. Give them support by allowing them their peace and time to greive.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was riding mount Luclie inside the warm up cabin there is small plaque
I don't remember guys name right now or exact what happen just he die up there
it just a small memorial but you what it works you just never forget it .it just idea
for Cory wagner and the other young guy Scheideman.I love riding Mcbride but
unfortualy I back out of ride up there this year i.am not that experience in the
mountain but enoungh to said it not safe out there maybe next year that my two cents

Sumit 600 HO

Reaction score
why dont we all go to Mcbride and have a ride on sleds or quads to remember those who passed in avys and if u want we can turn it into a fundraiser or make some plaques and put them on the mountian this is all about all of those who died in avys dont forget it;)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
why dont we all go to Mcbride and have a ride on sleds or quads to remember those who passed in avys and if u want we can turn it into a fundraiser or make some plaques and put them on the mountian this is all about all of those who died in avys dont forget it;)

In time i think this is a great Idea...but gotta give those involved/effected thier time and space...

Top Bottom