Tribute to lost sledders

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you all want to do a fitting tribute to all of the men who died this year on the mountains and all of the wives, children and families they left behind.
Why not stay away from the mountains for the rest of the year and conclude that the mountains didn't want us up there this year.
How many bricks have to fall on our heads to get this message through and to use the "how many people die every day on the hi-way" cliche as an excuse to still go, tells me even more that you should definetly not be up there.
I've been riding in the mountains for over twenty years and this is by far the worst year ever and I would think that the bigger and smarter man would realize that. Enough funerals already...damn it I used to love this sport but am slowly developing a dislike about it if this keeps up.

PS. If we don't govern ourselves in situations like this....the government will and we'll see complete closures.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of tribute is that. if any of my friend died in an avy that would be the last thing they would want. they would want me to be alot more aware that is all.

sorry but im gona be alot more pssd if i die on my way to work on our deadly roads than in an avy.

does this mean i shouldnt go to work!! sweet!

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you all want to do a fitting tribute to all of the men who died this year on the mountains and all of the wives, children and families they left behind.
Why not stay away from the mountains for the rest of the year and conclude that the mountains didn't want us up there this year.
How many bricks have to fall on our heads to get this message through and to use the "how many people die every day on the hi-way" cliche as an excuse to still go, tells me even more that you should definetly not be up there.
I've been riding in the mountains for over twenty years and this is by far the worst year ever and I would think that the bigger and smarter man would realize that. Enough funerals already...damn it I used to love this sport but am slowly developing a dislike about it if this keeps up.

PS. If we don't govern ourselves in situations like this....the government will and we'll see complete closures.

Here is my thought on the matter, to some it may seem wrong but its an opinion. As a tribute to all of the fallen sledders we should organize a trail ride in memory. I know the snow is melting but the ride does not have to be long or take all day. A place where people can show up and ride there sled with a large group. For example Westlock has a couple of trails that are groomed. I would not even know where to begin with such an event.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
Here is my thought on the matter, to some it may seem wrong but its an opinion. As a tribute to all of the fallen sledders we should organize a trail ride in memory. I know the snow is melting but the ride does not have to be long or take all day. A place where people can show up and ride there sled with a large group. For example Westlock has a couple of trails that are groomed. I would not even know where to begin with such an event.

excellent idea a tribute ride to our brothers who have fallen :beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well we are done with the mountains for this year, I'm not driving 5 hrs to go trail riding or lake riding. Reason we go there in the first place is to be challenged, unfortuneatly (spelled it wrong) this year is not a safe year for that type of riding. Not pleased about it but I do have family and friends to think about. Mountains will be there next year and so will I! :beer::d:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Trail ride is a great idea and if it can't happen soon I would do it on my quad even in the middle of summer .... don't care, great idea!! :beer::)

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guy's, maybe the word "Tribute" was used out of context. I agree it would be great to organize something more meaningful than not going to the mountains. Maybe some kind of a huge fundraiser or something along those lines would be a far more fitting tribute. The real point I was trying to get across was that this was and is a very bad year for the snowpack in the mountains. Just my advice and was not meant to disrespect anyone.
If you feel that you really have to go to the mountains just be aware that this is no ordinary year and use "extreme caution"

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A person could maybe even set up a donation box to help the families that have lost a loved one. Look at the donations that came in with the horse rescue.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of tribute is that. if any of my friend died in an avy that would be the last thing they would want. they would want me to be alot more aware that is all.

sorry but im gona be alot more pssd if i die on my way to work on our deadly roads than in an avy.

does this mean i shouldnt go to work!! sweet!

I read your posts on similar threads and with your attitutde - I hope you live long and don't hurt anyone along the way. Don't get me worng - I am not trying to start fight and I mean this with the best intentions - I never wish ill will on anyone. It's all about choices. :d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you mean my "attitude"

i have all the avy training you can get

i have all the equiptment and whatnot

i have all the backvountry intelligence needed

i sit back and watch idiots do stupid stuff

i play safe and can read the terrain

no need to boycott snowmobiling because of some bad avys

im not some redneck loose cannon on the mountain.

the avy rescuers said it themselves..why stop sledding?

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
I read your posts on similar threads and with your attitutde - I hope you live long and don't hurt anyone along the way. Don't get me worng - I am not trying to start fight and I mean this with the best intentions - I never wish ill will on anyone. It's all about choices. :d

Some of these posts should be saved... if and when it happens again we can look back at attitudes and see if they correlate with "accidents" due to lack of regard... there is something to be said for humble respect for mother nature... Enjoy the hills but RESPECT what they can do... don't be one of those knobs that we see in the hills poking at the most dangerous slope within 100 miles!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of these posts should be saved... if and when it happens again we can look back at attitudes and see if they correlate with "accidents" due to lack of regard... there is something to be said for humble respect for mother nature... Enjoy the hills but RESPECT what they can do... don't be one of those knobs that we see in the hills poking at the most dangerous slope within 100 miles!!!

you saying i have a lack of REGARD? come ride with me you might change ur mind

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
you guys are getting off topic now
i still say we should have a ride sumtime in the future for the boys in 08/09 that have passes away this season and it doesnt have to be anywhere far
there are tons of place around home that still have a buttload off snow
we need to have a few cheers and a few beers for them :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not off topic. i gave my idea. not everyone can get out for a tribute ride that would like to do something for these people (AKA ME) so maybe something we can do with donations but towards something not just to the familys kind of deal

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
you saying i have a lack of REGARD? come ride with me you might change ur mind

that is borderline getting off the topic
anyways why couldn't both happen a tribute ride and donations ??
im very busy as well and might not make it "IF" it happens to
but we will see what happens

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought on my part but what I think would be good is mamorial plaques or signs at the trail head of the areas people have passed away on,It would remind everyone goin up there of past freinds and how dangerous the mountains really are,lots of people take it lightly but I feel if they see the list of names they would atleast think about the danger,and if need be{and god I hope not}names could be added forever to it,the longer the list the more it will hit home.Just a thought
Jim

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought on my part but what I think would be good is mamorial plaques or signs at the trail head of the areas people have passed away on,It would remind everyone goin up there of past freinds and how dangerous the mountains really are,lots of people take it lightly but I feel if they see the list of names they would atleast think about the danger,and if need be{and god I hope not}names could be added forever to it,the longer the list the more it will hit home.Just a thought
Jim

thankyou! kind of like my idea but BETTER!

Top Bottom