Tri-County Snowmobile Club - Will NOT be at the 2011 ASA SHOW.............

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOTE: Tri-County will NOT be at the ASA Show this year, due to booth size and pricing conflicts with the ASA Office.
The 10x 10 booths are $393.75 for each club but even at that we lose money each year participating in the ASA Show while the ASA turns huge profits.
This is not right…..

PLEASE SUPPORT Tri-county by buying your membership and trail passes...

Also the TCSC Membership’s and ASA Trail Passes are now For Sale.
You can find a place close to you at

You can complete the attached MEMBERSHIP Form and mail back to me and I will mail out to you ASAP – Please PRINT clearly - thanks

If you have a VISA credit card, you can call Brian at 780-437-4706 to purchase memberships & trail passes over the phone and I will mail out to you ASAP

Trail Maintenance will start each Saturday & Sunday in November (5,6 --- 12,13 --- 19,20 --- 26,27)
If you would like to ride your quad/sled locally and clear some trees while riding call me.

Call Brian at 780-437-4706 to get on the Ministik Trails Maintenance LIST.

For more info check out

If you have any questions please call Brian at 780-437-4706

The October Newsletter should be out soon

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You OK Brian??? Show to full to fit your rig into?? Think of all $$$$ you saved by not trucking the groomer to the show and back.
You could just be like the rest of us poor clubs. 10x10 booth works not to bad.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shhot 400.00 is cheap if you want a booth for a shop like ours for a 10X10 booth after you pay for power you are at like 900.00 bucks and thats with out any extra's. Pricing of booths is exactly why i've heard alot of the big shops and such are downsizing there booths. There are booths that they were charging like 14,000.00 dolars for..

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
Show was amazing. Traffic through club area was very busy, and even the Calgary club took two booths. Northlands is an expensive venue to rent space in and the ASA looses money on the club space that is sold at half price to clubs, so if space was free to clubs as Brian wants the ASA would not even hold the show. You were offered space for your groomer outside, but I guess that wasn't good enough. Show space was SOLD OUT well in advance to the show, with a waiting list for full price space. This is basically the ASAs only fund raiser, so we need it to make money for our survival.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the Calgary club got 2 booths, since the ASA wanted the Calgary show so bad years ago then killed it, and now Calgary is emptied handed. just saying from my observation.

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
The Calgary venue was just too expensive and due to very small numbers through the doors compared to Edmonton the Manufacturers would not support a Calgary show, which killed it. Any shows in B.C? Without manufacturers booths a show will not fly. Both the Calgary club as well as Crow snow riders strongly supported the Edmonton show. I know many Calgary people are not happy but without manufactures support and the fact that about 80% of the sledders in Alberta are from North of Edmonton logic dictates that a single show format must be in Edmonton.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if peeps like me can drive 5.5 hours to go to Edmonton for the show and spend hundreds of dollars on fuel and hotel rooms, I don't see why Calgary riders would be bitching about driving 2.5....but hey, easier to complain I guess.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
friggin Calgarians.......

if peeps like me can drive 5.5 hours to go to Edmonton for the show and spend hundreds of dollars on fuel and hotel rooms, I don't see why Calgary riders would be bitching about driving 2.5....but hey, easier to complain I guess.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Show was amazing. Traffic through club area was very busy, and even the Calgary club took two booths. Northlands is an expensive venue to rent space in and the ASA looses money on the club space that is sold at half price to clubs, so if space was free to clubs as Brian wants the ASA would not even hold the show. You were offered space for your groomer outside, but I guess that wasn't good enough. Show space was SOLD OUT well in advance to the show, with a waiting list for full price space. This is basically the ASAs only fund raiser, so we need it to make money for our survival.

I was just wondering if the ASA uses this as a fundraiser why they hire an outside person to run the show for them thereby gobbling up more dollars. Don't they already have hired office staff that could do this job?

Jan

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
The ASA does have two full time staff in the office that are swamped doing regular ASA business for the clubs, so there is no way we could manage a show, which is also a full time job for the show management people. The ASA learned a long time ago to do what you do best and leave things like managing a show to people who do it for a living.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The SSA runs their own show with there staff and volunteers and does a bang up job of it. I understand the gal who was hired to run the show made a trip down there to talk to them to find out how to run a snow show.

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The SSA runs there own show with there staff and volunteers and does a bang up job of it. I understand the gal who was hired to run the show made a trip down there to talk to them to find out how to run a snow show.
How does the Sask show compare with Edmonton? Attendees, exhibitors etc.....

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Thumper-darryl;1249944]Show was amazing. Traffic through club area was very busy, and even the Calgary club took two booths. Northlands is an expensive venue to rent space in and the ASA looses money on the club space that is sold at half price to clubs, so if space was free to clubs as Brian wants the ASA would not even hold the show. You were offered space for your groomer outside, but I guess that wasn't good enough. Show space was SOLD OUT well in advance to the show, with a waiting list for full price space. This is basically the ASAs only fund raiser, so we need it to make money for our survival.[/QUOTE]"

SORRY - Darryl, but you guys have missed the WHOLE point of the problem
The ASA used to have 52 Alberta snowmobile Clubs they now have 32 clubs - you have lost 20 clubs now or you only have 61% of original clubs
I was told there was ONLY 7 ASA clubs participating at the 2011 ASA Show. That is only 21% turn out...
Clubs will not and can not participate in the show if they are to lose hundreds of dollars - They will not PARTICIPATE Period --- case in point 21% turn out.
You feel that the ASA has to make money off the backs of the clubs and call it profit???
Check your Financial Report... you make more profit now than ever!!!!
BUT when a club asks and submits the paper work for funding it is refused... and the clubs get $0.00 from the ASA
BUT you can host the ISCO international conference and lose your azz costing clubs Thousands of dollars...... explain that to the public....

TCSC asked back in 2010 to have the ability to place the large groomer into the 2010 ASA Show for EYE CANDY - something to touch, see, talk about --- spark public interest. Floor space was sold for 2010 Show and Chris assured us he would do his best to get the groomer into the 2011 show - SOLD all floor space again.
YOU are wrong when you said "You were offered space for your groomer outside, but I guess that wasn't good enough." I was NEVER told anything like that...period...by anyone...

How many people at the ASA walked right past a 10x10 booth with a banner in it and never stopped to ask a question about the club, the ASA or trails - Like ZERO...
The large booth had tons of people walk up to it and ask questions --- that is what a show is about NOT just profit.... its people, volunteers and new members.

At the end of the ASA SHOW you saw record breaking PROFITS but unfortunatly that was the Alberta Snowmobile Show and you only had represntation of 7 snowmobile clubs....

That was and still is the show for the clubs not dealer or quads but snowmobile clubs..

The ASA will fold when it reachs the equilibrium of about 20 clubs as these 20 clubs can no longer support the cost of the ASA Office

SO i leave you with this
"There were clubs before the ASA, Clubs can survive without the ASA but the ASA can not survive without Clubs"

Drop your Profits some and build your Clubs back up to a sustainable level.

Remember that most clubs have less than $5,000.00 in their bank accounts and it only takes one big hit and they are broke/quit and usually never return.....

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still a little pissy Brian?? Our club had a banner and a table and we sold trail passes. How can a club like La Crete afford to come to Edmonton and have a hotel room,meals and mileage? Even if the booth was totally free they wont come. You think that all clubs have the time and volunteers to come to Edmonton? I think the ones that see the potential in attending and having a booth do already. Ask Alberta Beach how many Trail Passes they sold. They worked the booth and were active selling the passes around the show.
When you were told no inside space avaliable this year why didnt you ask for outside display area?
Have we ever had more than 7 or so clubs ever at the show? I have been to the Toronto Show where there are 50-75 clubs all lined up next to another and after 10 or so clubs it`s just the same oh same oh so there is no big deal to have all the ASA clubs at the show. JMHO

Brian all the clubs are trying to make it in this industry and having you always complaining about the ASA isnt making it any easier on any of us. Negative remarks towards the ASA and its clubs is not necessary.

Brian I don`t think that Daryl is responsible for the decrease in clubs. Since the mid 90s the clubs # have been decreasing. With the focus on trails the clubs that were more social than trail building moved out of the ASA. As you know it is a lot of responsibility to have a snowmobile club now compared to the early days when all clubs did was wiener roasts and ride.

Brian I sure hope that we all can continue to get along and support snowmobiling in this province with a healthy association with good clubs and a long future.
We all know the pressure that the "Green Team" is putting onto our recreation and how we all get frustrated with the slow moving workings of our governments but at this time we all need to work together to make this love of snowmobiling continue in Alberta. Something as simple as buying a Trail Pass from your local snowmobile club will make a positive change.

WE NEED SNOW !!!!

The ASA Guy

Reaction score
Website
www.altasnowmobile.ab.ca
Brian we are truly sorry that you feel this way, but if we are to have a public discussion on the matter lets put all the facts on the table for everyone to see.

“Floor space was sold for 2010 Show and Chris assured us he would do his best to get the groomer into the 2011 show - SOLD all floor space again.
YOU are wrong when you said "You were offered space for your groomer outside, but I guess that wasn't good enough." I was NEVER told anything like that...period...by
anyone.”

At the 2010 show we DID have your groomer and drag on display at the show(as everyone saw), at no cost to your club. This was several thousands of dollars of display space given to your club, as it has been for the years that I have been involved with the ASA. Tri-County has benefitted by tens of thousands of dollars of free display space at the show – far above and beyond what any other ASA club has received.

I can produce e-mails to yourself asking for your groomer dimensions so we could place it on display. Your response was that without it inside at the show, it was of no use, as you would sell no trail passes in a 10x10. These are your words.

The ASA is comprised of 34 clubs around Alberta. It was at 30 clubs when I began here, so club numbers are on the rise. Our membership numbers have risen every year that I have been here as well.

The ASA office in Edmonton administers all ASA funds and projects on behalf of the member clubs, and reports to the ASA Board, which is elected from the clubs. If Tri-County chooses not to participate in general meetings, or work with zone directors or elect members to the Board, then I’m afraid you are missing your opportunity to participate in the business of the ASA. These are your choices.

Reaction score
I purchased 3 trail passes from try-county last year at the ASA show, this year because of this guys attitude I think I'll but them directly from the ASA, heck maybe I will buy them from the Alberta Beach club!

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
Thanks superduperdave.
We all need to keep in mind that the ASA IS snowmobiling in Alberta. In the long run 100% of the funds the ASA gets from portions of trail pass funds the ASA keeps, all the Gov grants we procure, as well as all the profit from the Snowmobile and ATV show goes back into snowmobiling in Alberta. The various programs we run FOR our sledding community cost money. Every penny goes back to snowmobiling. Our clubs decide how it is spent, and the board and our hard working staff make it happen. Pretty simple. Without the work by the ASA over the last 40 years there would be NO sledding in Alberta. A simple fact.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who can help ya out with that ab beach purchase. good fella, rarely complains about anything, instead takes action and makes chit happen.......pm bogger

I purchased 3 trail passes from try-county last year at the ASA show, this year because of this guys attitude I think I'll but them directly from the ASA, heck maybe I will buy them from the Alberta Beach club!

Top Bottom