Travel trailer Tips??

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new travel trailer, so just woundering what everyone does.

-Do you lock up your weight disturbing bars. Was thinking of welding some short chunks of pipe on the frame for storage. Same for the hitch, chunk of square tubing on the frame.

-Do you put your awning in every night. My slide awning came out on the hi-way coming home, caught it in time.My fault.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I just bought a new travel trailer, so just woundering what everyone does.

-Do you lock up your weight disturbing bars. Was thinking of welding some short chunks of pipe on the frame for storage. Same for the hitch, chunk of square tubing on the frame.

I store mine in the front storage along with the hitch.

-Do you put your awning in every night. My slide awning came out on the hi-way coming home, caught it in time.My fault.

I put mine away all the time. Don't want to take any chances.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put mine away all the time. Don't want to take any chances.

I was thinking of doing this as well but it rules that bin out for anything else, due to the freaking grease that seams to get everywhere! But I was woundering if the little slim balls would steal thoses bars too.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awning is always stored when traveling, or parked when not in use, open when camping unless storming.

WD hitch bars are layed on hitch when camping in prov. parks,. stored and locked in unregulated areas with no supervision.

Beer is readily accessible, when unhitching and setting up camp site. Wife make's sure there is enough wood, and kids just hang around complaining.

rsrogersnt

Reaction score
I always check weather for the awning but if you do leave it out, make sure it is leaning toward one side so rain will run off - always leaning-even a little when it is not just so you don't get caught.

ksk223

Reaction score
We always put a tie wrap or two around the awning supports while travelling. I've witnessed a couple come out when driving.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I always leave my awning out unless really windy if it's going to rain drop 1 side a few inches on the side that slopes away from the trailer. Equalizer bars just lean against the hitch while camping hitch stays on the truck. For traveling I always put velco straps around the awning supports to hold them tight I don't trust plastic clips

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I always leave my awning out unless really windy if it's going to rain drop 1 side a few inches on the side that slopes away from the trailer. Equalizer bars just lean against the hitch while camping hitch stays on the truck. For traveling I always put velco straps around the awning supports to hold them tight I don't trust plastic clips

I would hate to see the guy that steals your stuff......scary :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would have never thought about using velcro straps, around the awning.

What a great idea :beer: :beer: :d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the velcro on the supports idea! The awning that came out on me was the slide awning. I think it had a fold in it when it when back in, the wind got under it and spooled it out. I saw another guy down there "Lethbridge" with his big awning spooled out, his supports were still clicked in place, she just un-spooled. It must have been a 40-50mph x-wind down there.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If you want to lock up you WD bars you can put a padlock through the chains to something on the trailer

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long found this

You could probably lock both bars on 1 side rather than 2 locks

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long found this

You could probably lock both bars on 1 side rather than 2 locks

You can also like I mentioned lay them across the hitch and do the same thing instead of drilling weakening holes into your frame.

Here is mine

Attachments

• WDlock.jpg
    WDlock.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
You can also like I mentioned lay them across the hitch and do the same thing instead of drilling weakening holes into your frame.

Here is mine

Yours are even easier to unbolt:d
Thief would need the brackets for the hitch also wouldn't he?

Top Bottom