Travel trailer quality

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About trailers how often do people maintain the rubber roofs? my trailer is 2007 and doesn't leak but some guys will treat the rubber

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 Fleetwoood was junk. My 05 Desert Fox was good quality and my 08 Jayco seems to be very compatible just need to check the roof seems yearly to avoid any leaks.

It’s sad looking at the new ones when everyone that buys is back at the dealers at least once to fix stupid stuff that often the owners just fixes it right themselves.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decent quality trailers are hard to come by, even the newer higher priced stuff. I’ve a 2004 Gulfstream I purchased new, and after modifying it for my needs, it has been a great trailer, but I did put new heavier axles in it. If I were in the market, I’d be looking for a used Travelaire, vanguard, Custom Coach, Arctic Fox, or a Cardinal, but not a toy hauler, and with minimal slides. They are all pretty on the outside, but have a VERY good look at the frame and running gear before you buy...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Jayco makes a good solid unit anything before 2016 was decent I like older units in the 90s was when they we’re made to last, anything like mallard or fleetwood is junk I’m sure now a days most are, but they sure look good hitched up to that 1 ton diesel

we have a 2016 Mallard, there's lots I don't like about it, but lots that I do like, when we bought it the price was right, overall its a good trailer but there are little things I'd like to change.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jayco makes a good solid unit anything before 2016 was decent I like older units in the 90s was when they we’re made to last, anything like mallard or fleetwood is junk I’m sure now a days most are, but they sure look good hitched up to that 1 ton diesel

I have a 2006 Jayflight 27.5 BHS fifth wheel hardwall.
When I bough it new I PL Premium the furniture together on the inside.
This trailer has been from Edmonton to North Sydney and back and to 3 trips to Tafino and that crap road right to Horne Lake Caves, all over Alberta and some bush camping.
Has a kazillion redneck stickers on the back wall from across Canada and has been towed an easy 40,000 km, original lino and rug.
Fixed one axle but would recommend a Jayco for sure but they do have minimal axles like the rest.
Research the year for specs of what ever you buy.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 and no issues, recently purchased a Rockwood Mini lite 2511S and am happy so far with the construction and layout. Rockwood uses a 6 sided aluminum framing, 5/8" tongue and groove plywood flooring, Dexter torflex axles and all the appliances are name brand. Time will tell.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 hideout, single slide love the layout of the trailer. Minimal issues dealer has been decent to me. A 22 ft that is not half ton towable. It's been salmon fishing northwest of Smithers, to Ft st James, to Dawson city all over northern ab.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About trailers how often do people maintain the rubber roofs? my trailer is 2007 and doesn't leak but some guys will treat the rubber
Last trailer was an ‘09 with a rubber roof. Outside of redoing the caulk around the ladder on top I never did anything to the rubber roof and it was in good shape still when traded in.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Vengeance ToyHauler built by Forest River.. Both have been great units and the dealer we have is excellent to deal with.. No issues with any leaks or structural problems with the body.. Last unit the springs must have been weak as the trailer sacked out...that or going to fast fully loaded..

Build quality is poor to avg at best on all units so i picked one that i felt i could do a majority of the work myself.. I crawl underneath with a can of rust paint, spray foam, zip ties and some wire loom - paint what i can, fill any holes and tied back the wiring.. I keep an eye on the roof and if any of the seal looks like its getting dry i lay some cock in there to prevent leaks.

Crown mouldings are heavy and fall off, residential fridges and fancy lighting drains your batteries - a good hitch and axles make a difference on long road trips.

Matt at RaceTrack in Airdrie has been great to deal with..

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 and no issues, recently purchased a Rockwood Mini lite 2511S and am happy so far with the construction and layout. Rockwood uses a 6 sided aluminum framing, 5/8" tongue and groove plywood flooring, Dexter torflex axles and all the appliances are name brand. Time will tell.
when i worked at the polaris dealership they were also an rv dealership and repair facility. in 8 years i saw the guys tear into quite a few different trailers and motorhomes.
the build quality on most trailers is almost enough to make you vomit. after what i saw the only one i would think about is a rockwood. well build chassis and aluminum framework in the walls and ceiling.
nicely done inside also. triple E is actually an extremely well built unit also. too bad they no longer exist.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The words quality and rv shouldn’t be used in the same sentence.....!!! For what a person pays....They’re all junk!!!

I did a ton of research back in 2013-14. Ended up with a Tesla, made by evergreen rv. The features were what set it apart. At 37.5’, it was the shortest toy hauler 5th wheel that still had the 12 ft garage (some are less, but that’s not what I wanted). Evergreen has a different manufacturing process for their hard wall siding, supposedly better for not delaminating. I think they stopped making TH’s, then closed it’s doors in 2016...?!
They’re built on the Lippert chassis, including the 6pt level up system (AMAZING !!). It also has the largest fresh and holding tanks I’ve ever seen. 175gal fresh...!

I looked at all the others, and most are made in one way or another by the same parent companies, and there’s really only two! Thor and Forest River ....https://campaddict.com/rv-manufacturers/

My second best choice was going to be the Momentum made by Grand Design ( owned by Winnebago ). I think they’re very well built, but a bit heavier than I was interested in, and the price tag was also heavier..!!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too had this question when I was looking for a ‘tiny home’ a couple years ago. I ended up getting a coachman Santara 28’ my half ton (at the time) could pull it.

Besides going down to sechelt mine just sat at a park, as far as fit and finish. I like the rubber roof idea, I cleaned the small gutters every weekend or sooner if windy. I taped over the front and rear with eterna bond b/c I was super paranoid of leaks. I also washed my roof every 6 months. That being said I saw other trailers in that park that looked like they sat for 20 years unmaintained, ppl still lived in them....I’m sure they had mold/leak issues. Moral of the story, I feel of a guy maintains the thing like a person with high functioning ADHD you’ll be gold lol

The inside was another story, I found the blinds a huge pain all the time. A few of my light switches would need to be taken apart and cleaned once in awhile. I hated the way it was wired, I could either have my toaster oven (unit didn’t have an oven) on or my indoor heater and my dehumifier. All the plugs were on a 15a circuit, microwave was on its own circuit so i ended up putting it on a surge bar and having a heater plugged into it at half/750w. If I were you I’d go for a larger 50 amp main unit. I am not 100% how they are wired but it has to be better then mine was

While I was living in said trailer I’d be always looking and researching other brands, in case I had to ‘do it again’. I found arctic fox to be the best. Built tougher and a lot more $. But seemed like more quality with then and other four season units, they are just heavy af. That being said I’d steer clear of ‘half ton towable’ units

Hope that somewhat helps ya!

Top Bottom