Trailer Tires

Finkster

Reaction score
Hey There,

Not sure if Im posting in the right place. I am looking to buy a 2 place trailer (not enclosed) and I understand the difference between steel and aluminum - however some of the aluminum ones come with 8" wheels and I heard that these may not be sufficient for long hauls (too small, heat up, dont last??) . is there any truth to this?

8612saltshield1.jpg

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember that smaller tires will spin a lot faster then bigger tires will which will in turn put more stress and heat on your wheel bearings. Also smaller tires cannot handle weight and wear like the big tires can but if you are only hauling two sleds they should be completely safe with that weight. IMO I would just go with a bigger tire with a higher ply. ex A Carlilse 8 or 10 ply would be a very good tire to put on because they have excellent wear and weight ratings. I run them on my 24" enclosed and have never had an issue with them. hope this helps.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a reason the small tires are called bearing burners. If you're doing long trips - trailer with 15" rims is well worth the extra $$

jaredvh

Reaction score
As well, If you spend any time off road the bigger tires will be a lot better over rough terrain. I had a Triton with 8" tires and got rid of it for a bigger one with 15". My new trailer tows much nicer.

Top Bottom