Trailer Questions

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 28' aluminum enclosed with 7000 lb axles. It's completely finished inside which is nice, but makes it kinda heavy. I'm pulling it with a 2017 Dodge 2500 with a 6.4 which has plenty of power, but is waggling its tail too much for my liking. It has stabilizer bars which helps, but is there anything else I can do? Maybe air bags to lift and firm up the rear coils?

Last edited:

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 28' aluminum enclosed with 7000 lb axles. It's completely finished inside which is nice, but makes it kinda heavy. I'm pulling it with a 2017 Dodge 2500 with a 6.4 which has plenty of power to pull it, but is waggling its tail too much for my liking. It has stabilizer bars which helps, but is there anything else I can do? Maybe air bags to lift and firm up the rear coils?
Have you tried with weight in the front of trailer. Check the video.

https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO the truck has some to do with it. Obviously weight distribution is a major factor but honestly when I swapped out my ram 3500 hemi it was a totally different towing experience. Now I went to a duramax so power was better but the chassis on the dodge sucked compared to the Chev. I used stabilizer bars on it and it wasn't a heavy load. I was never comfortable towing with that truck. The first time I towed the exact same trailer loaded the exact same way with the Chev I forgot it was there a few times. I can drive with a couple fingers on the steering wheel instead of my hand, sometimes two with the dodge. I hope you find a cheap solution as mine solution was to get a different truck.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 28' aluminum enclosed with 7000 lb axles. It's completely finished inside which is nice, but makes it kinda heavy. I'm pulling it with a 2017 Dodge 2500 with a 6.4 which has plenty of power, but is waggling its tail too much for my liking. It has stabilizer bars which helps, but is there anything else I can do? Maybe air bags to lift and firm up the rear coils?

I have air bags on my Dodge 2500. It does make a difference.

cat925

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a little 2 place aluminum trailer
Get a proper truck way to light duty for that

hope I don’t see you in the ditch upside down

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think rsaruk is correct, if the trailer is back end heavy, it will sway more. Put some weight up front of the trailer and see if that changes things

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy there big shoots I think he is way more equiped then alot of stuff i see on the highway not everyone can justify a diesel for a hobby or for pulling something twice a year. Or fork out that kind of cash this is the next best option. I agree airbags would keep your truck sitting the way it should to help handle the load but def load the trailer a few dif ways and just see what works the best for you. I have ran bags on my 12 3500 dodge and again on my 17 f350 cant stand a squating truck. That truck will easily handle that aluminum trailer

QUOTE=cat925;2438385]Sounds like you need a little 2 place aluminum trailer

hope I don’t see you in the ditch upside down[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a little 2 place aluminum trailer

hope I don’t see you in the ditch upside down
You don't think a 2500 can handle a 7000# trailer safely?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the trailer weighs? Does it look like one axle is carrying more load than the other? Just off the cuff I’d say check the tongue weight maybe run it over the scales and see how the weight distribution is and go from there.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is when the trailer just about weights what the truck does it pushes it around, where a 3500 diesel weights more

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't think a 2500 can handle a 7000# trailer safely?

lol thats what i was gettin at with my post are the f150s not rated for 11000 to 12000? Some people think only diesels can tow i mean common sense is dont pull something that will push u off the road

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He said it had 7000 pound axles so could have a 14K GVW. That’s a big load for a bumper pull for any truck, particularly so for a coil spring rear end. Add wind loading and maybe weight distribution problems you can see how it might be a bit squirrelly

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is when the trailer just about weights what the truck does it pushes it around, where a 3500 diesel weights more

I dont think weight the issue. Braking power is the issue. Lots of tractor units with heavy weight of pintle hitches. Look at the tandem 57' trailer units on the roads now a days

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. GVW is 14000 lbs. Not sure what the weight of the trailer is, but I will find out. A one ton diesel is not an option for me, so either I get this figured out or sell the trailer and get a smaller one.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailer shouldn’t wag if it’s loaded front heavy.

If it feels like your steering is wandering, check your shocks and front end components. Shatty or blown shocks make it handle terrible when towing.

Are the trailer tires wearing evenly?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 2500 and a 3500 single axle weigh pretty much exactly the same. The difference in weight between a diesel engine and a gas engine is hundreds of pounds, not thousands. They have the same brakes and axles. The only difference is engine and tranny which is why the towing numbers are different. I think max is 12,600lb for the 6.4 gas and 17,200 with the diesel.

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The truck is brand new. The trailer tires appear to be wearing evenly. I wouldn't say it's excessive sway, but it certainly keeps both hands on the steering wheel.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have you only towed it once, maybe you just had a crosswind making it seem worse than it might normally be. Relatively light and big surface area trailer will get blown around.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the same size trailer but it is steel not aluminum. He had the same issue. His truck was squat down a lot on the back and it was all over the road. He put airbags in his truck so the truck set straight and made sure it was loaded properly and his problems were fixed. Hope you get it figured out.

Top Bottom