Trailer Lights & Heater

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HELP! ack frustrating

Headed to the mountains tomorrow morning and the interior lights & heater are not working in the trailer! Driving a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax. Trailer is a Rance, brand new. According to the fuse panel there is an option for trailer power, on post 1.. fuse is good, and wire is on the post. were not getting power from the truck to the trailer for the light/heat.. any suggestions/help be appreciated! I'll be bringing my laptop so there is a possibility of trying fixes on the trip.

TIA

Hitchguy

Reaction score
if you open your hood and look down by the steering column half way down there will be a wire taped up that is red with a black stripe on it, it will have a round butt connector attached to it, break it away from the tape and connect it to the post closest to the fender after you pull the cover off the fuse box studs are located at the front of the fuse box. that should cure your problem :) that is the charge wire feeding into your trailer plug.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THANKS!!!! dad found it as i began reading your reply lol
so that fixed the lighting but didnt give us heater power ?? There is an auxillary power 2? but not sure.. lights is more important

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem with my durmax but my new superduty has that wire hook already:d

Hitchguy

Reaction score
That will give you 12v power to your trailer there isn't another wire that goes to the rear. The other post is for your brake controller if it doesn't have the factory one installed.:d Someone at GM was sleeping when they installed all of these pretty simple to add a nut and tighten the damn thing would of solved a lot of head aches but guess they were trying to save .02 cents per truck:):d:d:d

234blair

Reaction score
You have to push the tow/haul button on the transmission shifter to get aux power to the trailer plug.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to push the tow/haul button on the transmission shifter to get aux power to the trailer plug.

Pushing the tow haul just bumps up the voltage. My 07 duramax had the same problem, there is a fues panel under the hood drivers side you'll see when you open the fuse panel on the top row left hand side you will see there is a dummy fuse in this location, go to Canadian tire get a 40 amp fuse trow it in and walla you will have power back to your trailer(as long as your brake controller is wired correct). I killed a batterie on my enclosed last year assuming I was charging while driving.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do know the easiest way is to use a voltage tester at the 1 oclock prong on the trailer/hitch connection on the truck should be the 12v charge to your trailer.

Top Bottom