Trail obstructions

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are quadding next summer and find yourself on a snowmobile trail where a tree is blocking your path, please cut the tree back to the treeline. I can't count the number of times that we've come across trees down on the trail with a section cut out just large enough to get the quads past. You have the saw out anyway, why not clear it all off the trail so someone else doesn't have to come along later to finish the job? Those folding pruning saws that you can get fit easily into your sled and make quick work of smaller trees that may end up on the trail as well.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm with you buddy! I know when one has a hand saw it may be a little difficult to cut out a 16' section but a lot of quad dudes have the chainsaw on board enyways. Sure helps the trail maintenance guys work load when it comes time for the groomer width.

Surely we have a few more months of fully loaded snow trails and maybe until the end of June this year!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This exact situation cost me an e module on my XP a few years ago. Traveling down a cutline at approx. 15-20 mph and wham over the bars I go.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of the worst things you can do is cut off an overhanging tree just at the trail line so that the stump is angled out at the next rider just to skewer them. Like you said you had the saw out anyway finish the job!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same deal with fences when guys open them, pull it all the way back to the fence line don't leave it laying oin the grass and snow to grab an unsupecting riders ski as he/ she goes by.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are quadding next summer and find yourself on a snowmobile trail where a tree is blocking your path, please cut the tree back to the treeline. I can't count the number of times that we've come across trees down on the trail with a section cut out just large enough to get the quads past. You have the saw out anyway, why not clear it all off the trail so someone else doesn't have to come along later to finish the job? Those folding pruning saws that you can get fit easily into your sled and make quick work of smaller trees that may end up on the trail as well.

I've never understood this either. Makes no sense but then again must of society doesn't make sense anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also cutting it wide makes it easier for a sxs in the summer. Team work if everyone helps a little summer or winter.

Top Bottom