Trail Clearing

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To all you Whitecourt sledders lurking out there....and anyone else that would like to come out.
Trailblazers are commencing the trail clearing season. We estimate it will take 1000 - 1500 volunteer hours to get this task done.

Saturday November 03, 2007 - 7:00 AM - Breakfast at the Roadhouse Restaurant - 8:00 AM Leave for Trail Cleaning
Sunday November 04, 2007 - 7:00 AM - Breakfast at the Roadhouse Restaurant - 8:00 AM Leave for Trail Cleaning

Saturday November 10, 2007 - 7:00 AM - Breakfast at the Roadhouse Restaurant - 8:00 AM Leave for Trail Cleaning
Sunday November 11, 2007 - 7:00 AM - Breakfast at the Roadhouse
Restaurant - 8:00 AM Leave for Trail Cleaning

Group Leaders & Trail Section Assignments will be given out at Breakfast by Trail Boss - Randy Mathews.
Safety overview by Safety Director - Tom Pickard.

Beverages of choice and plenty of B.S. to follow at locations yet to be decided.:beerchug:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do we need to bring? I have a quad but no chainsaw.

Bring whatever you have. For every guy with a chainsaw we need one or two more to throw. A lot of guys bring those folding pruning saws to cut the smaller 'hangers'. (Handy to carry in the sled during the season too)
instead of firing up a power saw every time. I find a machete works pretty good for willows. Steel toed boots and helmets are the dress of the day as well (the insulated steel toed rubber boots work really well).

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do i need my quad?
There are a usually couple of guys with Rhinos or Rangers that can take passengers but if you want to be sure you don't have to double with someone you'll want to bring your quad. It all depends on who shows up. Sometimes 20 guys show up and a bunch can be passengers, sometimes 8 guys show up and everyone has their own ride. The trouble is that you never know 'till the morning of. I'm guessing from your signature that you'd rather ride than passenge.(if that's even a word).

We would certainly appreciate your help, with or without your quad.

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This gives me an excuse to visit my parents and help out in a sport i love. For now It looks like i can definitely make it, i hope that doesnt change.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
We should be able to cover alot of ground this year with 1500 hrs as the trail is in great shape right now as far as deadfall. As long as we don't get hit with a quick two feet of wet stuff, mind you that would be alright too.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully we get enough guys to show up next weekend that we'll be finished so we don't have to go out on sleds clearing like last year.(chainsaws are hard on tunnel extensions).

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open to anyone? .......sounds like it could be fun
Absolutely open to anyone, All the guys I know that have participated in the past have had a blast. Good way to meet good people and learn the trail system a bit. Theres something fun about doing (sometimes hard) work with a group of people that are there because they want to be, not because they have to be or are there for the money.
P.S. Nice to meet you at the show, Murray.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should be able to cover alot of ground this year with 1500 hrs as the trail is in great shape right now as far as deadfall. As long as we don't get hit with a quick two feet of wet stuff, mind you that would be alright too.
Will you be able to make it out for a day?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Will you be able to make it out for a day?

I will be out next Saturday after 11:00 and all day Sunday with my quad and chainsaw. We went out last weekend and made trail passible from Carson cabin till probably 5 km north of the Blue Ridge haul road. It was a fun day and got to get my limit of chickens too...good supper. I will talk to Randy and see where he wants me at noon Saturday.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be out next Saturday after 11:00 and all day Sunday with my quad and chainsaw. We went out last weekend and made trail passible from Carson cabin till probably 5 km north of the Blue Ridge haul road. It was a fun day and got to get my limit of chickens too...good supper. I will talk to Randy and see where he wants me at noon Saturday.
If you're lucky he'll want you at Laprises Garage.....fridge FULL of booze.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on man. Keep track of your hours....Alex gets owly if we forget to record any

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything is locked and loaded......................let's get R done!!!!! See you @ 7:00AM

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 25 guys showed up on Saturday, a dozen or so on Sunday, got just over half done. Need guys on Saturday next weekend to clear the Silver Summit trail and finish the north leg of the triangle from the Blue Ridge haul road to the Freeman river.
Big thanks to all that came out and to Conrads Shop in Whitecourt for supplying 2 Huskavarna side by sidesfor free and sharpening members chains at a discount. Hopefully we can finish the job this coming weekend.

Top Bottom