Trail bikes

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I want to buy a newer 250 or 450f type of bike but I want it for riding technical moubtain terrain. Is there a different type of bike u should be looking at? I will not be on a race track with it. I have owned street bikes in the past but never dirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And what kind of rider are you too? If you are very aggressive then a 250 may not have the jam but the bigger bikes can be more work.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know only a few guys that can ride a 450 fast in technical terrain and they are all masters level offroad racers. My recommendations are a 250 or 300 2 stroke (KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas, Husqvarna), or smaller ~350cc 4 stroke from one of the same manufacturers. Personally I ride a yz250 that I have setup for offroad and it works ok but the track bike ergos really hold me back, that's why I recommend an offroad bike not a motocrosser. I don't ride much any more or I would be on a 300.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forget about buying a bike so you can save your money for your real favorite sport. lol. I have seen you ride many times so I speak the truth lol

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am short, maybe 5'9 or 10. How reliable are the Ktm 300 or 350's we don't have a dealer nearby. What years to stay away from? How are the street legal Ktm's on the trail? Street legal isn't a huge concern as we have a great trail system in elkford

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Street legal bikes are no different then the off road only bikes. I have a 530 exc. same bike as the xcw but with blinkers horn different tail light and plate holder. Oh and a key switch. I have been very happy with the bike except lately been having issues with the license plate. The previous owner hacked the rear fender so there isn't much to mount there

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so you guys are pointing me towards a 250 or 350 Ktm, for technical rocky type trails

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option for you is to get an older kdx 300 or similar for cheap and ride that. Your skills will improve and you can see if biking is for you with very little investment.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option for you is to get an older kdx 300 or similar for cheap and ride that. Your skills will improve and you can see if biking is for you with very little investment.

X2

At 5'9 any of the bikes mentioned are fine unless you are over 200 pounds then I would stay away from a 250 four stroke or anything under a 200 2 stroke.

A good reason to stick with something like a KTM XC is they are already designed to ride technical terrain. The 250 2 stroke in a XC or XCW would be a good bike to look for that you likely won't be wishing for more. I am around 150 pounds and ride a 200xcw. I only like riding gnarly technical stuff. Ktms typically hold their value well.

Every once in awhile an older KDX 200 or larger pops up on kijiji. They are bullet proof and there is still a good demand for them. Just stay away from MX bikes. You will find they over heat if lugged, the suspension will not ride as well as an off road bike, not that their aren't guys out there that can fly in single track with them, they just aren't as good for the average joe.

If you can find a decent Ktm 350 XCW I would go for it. Some of the XC's don't have kick starters. Just estart. Oh, and estart, if wanting to use it in nothing but technical terrain I can't suggest the little red button enough if you have short legs.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I am 230ish, and short legged lol! So I should be looking for xcw's Kdx's what about the Yamaha wr's or Suzuki drZ ?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into the wrs and would get a klx or kdx over one. Raced a kdx 220 years ago. Was a good bike

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The WR's are decent. Heavy but decent. If you were looking at WR and DR I would look for a decent CRFX.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How reliable are the Ktm 300 or 350's we don't have a dealer nearby.

Peak Performance in Cranbrook is a KTM dealer now. Personally I'd buy in Alberta to beat the PST, but that'll change soon with the new registration scheme coming to BC this fall.

mitchmahar

Reaction score
Ya 450s can make real technical riding pretty difficult at times, It all really depends on your sprockets and proper gearing, i have never ridden a 450x so they could be diffrent but take my word for it a 450r is not a trail bike lol

Top Bottom