Track speed

stonycat

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new cat/yam turbo as a second sled. 260 hp sounds fun My doo 800 174x3 track speed is about 60km in the steep and deep. What are these turbos getting. Remember steep and deep only. 24in or deeper. Not hill climb bs.

facebook.com/ridevalemount

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
No buls%!t my sidewinder was showing 82 kms/hr track speed with my 174 3 inch track and I was down 500 rpm, so at 8500 rpm that is. I suspect with my clutching dialed in again I will be back to my 89 km/hr track speed that I had with my 162 stock track. My sled is bone stock with a straight pipe. I know it doesn't sound like much but with the torque this thing makes it hauls the mail!!!!

stonycat

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know what boost does at elevation. With the extra weight of a 4stroke, how does it compare with a 800 174x3. In the steep and deep. And if I'm going this way, it will be all the way. Lol. what do you think 250 hp will get you for speed.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know what boost does at elevation. With the extra weight of a 4stroke, how does it compare with a 800 174x3. In the steep and deep. And if I'm going this way, it will be all the way. Lol. what do you think 250 hp will get you for speed.

You realize that what your trying to compared don't really compare. One is not really better then the other just do it differently. A 4strokes comes at a penalty of WEIGHT, nearly 100lbs. But at the benefit of other things like big tracks with big track speeds. A 250hp 4stroke will exceed 100km/hr track speed, but considering it has well over 100hp more then an equivalent 2stroke 800 with the same track at elevation its no comparison.

The track speed your seeing with your 800 is pretty much average for the track size and power output, some will see a little more through gearing and clutching or power add on's but it will not be huge.
The new SideWinders at about 200-210 are seeing speeds in the high 80, low 90km/hr. While big power 250+ Vipers, Nytro's and Nypex can exceed 100km/hr well into the 120 mark.
My Nytro can lay a track speed of over 100km/hr in the deep stuff while climbing and I suspect my Side Winder will be mid 90km/hr when I am done with it. Which confirms what Catman is saying.

stonycat

Reaction score
Everything stated makes sense. I just don't ride with any yams. Some turbo 2strokes, I was there. I had way to many issues. I like the factory reliability. Might have to demo one.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this. My 2 Nytros are 50 to 75 pounds heavier than stock 2 strokes ( I weighed them with a pro 163 all RTR), but in the steep and deep there is no comparison. I routinely double of triple high mark better riders on T3s or Axys in those conditions. Track speed is 120kph or more. I have 7000 boosted km on it and last ride wore out the drivers and before that blew my first belt.

I had a chance to play with a Sidewinder last week. Great sled. Lots of fun and easy to ride. Pulls good but not like the Nytro. 70 horse is still 70 horse.

Thanks to Dean from Alpine Motorsports for the opportunity and even more for taking the time to help my little buddy with his boosted Pro. Great Guy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this. My 2 Nytros are 50 to 75 pounds heavier than stock 2 strokes ( I weighed them with a pro 163 all RTR), but in the steep and deep there is no comparison. I routinely double of triple high mark better riders on T3s or Axys in those conditions. Track speed is 120kph or more. I have 7000 boosted km on it and last ride wore out the drivers and before that blew my first belt.

Holy hell!!! You must have really stepped up your riding game, and your maintenance game.... the Yamamagic must have been sprinkled on extra thick to make all this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Evo Cats are the ticket....big power and built right. They turn some insane numbers 162 or 174 I have both and they are amazing in the steep and deep. To the point that they are built weight doesn't matter when you have that much power flying up a hill or rock'in and roll'in in 3' of powder. Until you ride a mid 3's 4s sled you won't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a buddy that built a nitro, 320hp turbo kit with a 2.5-163 track under it.. I drove it a few times back in 2010 when he built it and it's crazy fast, had to be not far from 90mph track speeds.. Absolute crazy feel till you let off the throttle.. Just comming down a hill was so much faster from extra motor weight..

Now with the two stroke turbos Its not track speeds like that but it's fairly common to be in the 60s to 70mphs but we also run 174 3 inch tracks

heard some g4s were up to 44mph, t3s in the 40 range

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a Nytro turbo 240 hp cat 1100 turbo 205hp and last turbo was an rmk/boondocker hp don't know, all with 163x3 tracks my experience was 55-60mph is where the fun really starts (nytro and rmk would pull 60). The two stroke was by far the easiest to ride but always in the back of my mind wondered if was going to blow, 4 strokes are 80-100lbs heavier depending how you compare them regardless of how much weight people claim they removed, you have the extra weight over the skis, they are all effectively the same from the bars back. Nice thing is the 4 strokes are bullet proof and actually make the hp they say. I ride a T3 174 now, love it just slower climbing but goes anywhere I need to.

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a buddy that built a nitro, 320hp turbo kit with a 2.5-163 track under it.. I drove it a few times back in 2010 when he built it and it's crazy fast, had to be not far from 90mph track speeds.. Absolute crazy feel till you let off the throttle.. Just comming down a hill was so much faster from extra motor weight..

Now with the two stroke turbos Its not track speeds like that but it's fairly common to be in the 60s to 70mphs but we also run 174 3 inch tracks

heard some g4s were up to 44mph, t3s in the 40 range
That thing must do like 150 mph on the flat.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No clue but at 25 lbs boost it hauls that mail.. Just need to be a BRock Lessner to harness it

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is more noticeable with a sled that has the torque and hp to spin a big track at a high rate instantaneously is the ability to wheelie the sled around in 3ft of powder. If your skilled enough and know how to use that type of power you can actually turn it on itself in the tightest and deepest powder. Where pretty much anything else will probably bury it self or if it doesn't the fun factor just isn't there it will just tractor around.
Yes, that type of power comes at a cost and lots actually never are able to really use it to their advantage. In fact, most that get into a 4stroke ride them as if it was a 2stroke and find them self very disappointed.

I can spend an entire day pulling big climbs in 3ft of powder on the Nytro and never will it drop a track speed below 120km/hr if i choose too and never do i worry about blowing it. Like i have been told many times, the ski's on the sled never touch snow till it comes to a rest.
Fact is the sled comes out of the snow faster, accelerates faster, has a much higher ground speed and out pulls and out climbs not by a margin but more in a way that cannot be matched unless its a turbo. ZERO comparison......So track speed does dominate. Combine that track speed with big track and big lugs, all you need is the right rider. Otherwise, smile and wave.

I don't expect the same results out of the Sidewinder but it will be similar and completely capable of laying down some serious track speeds at a flip of the throttle. When you compare 200hp and 250hp, it is very noticeable. Now compare that with any 800 that is down 25-30hp because of elevation..

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That thing must do like 150 mph on the flat.

It doesn't mean it would be fast on the flats, most likely it wouldn't be much faster at top end. It just means that it has the power to shift the clutch and more importantly "MAINTAIN" the shift for better track speed under a load.

Clutch stall, its when the load applied by the track and the power generated by the motor is stalemate, the clutches no longer can shift.
The more power you have the higher your stalemate but that is highly depending on your track. Thus the big advantage of a 4stroke vs a 2stroke turbo. The torque is much higher making the clutch stall a lot higher, generating more track speed.

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished 3 days in Sicamous with my Sidewinder Btx. I changed tracks to. 2.6 powerclaw, 8 tooth drivers and mtx gearing. I consistently saw 50+mph track speed when climbing. Max I saw was 54mph. This is a stock sled.....no exhaust or ecu changes. I was impressed after coming off a 270mcx Viper and a stage 2 Alpine Nytro.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is more noticeable with a sled that has the torque and hp to spin a big track at a high rate instantaneously is the ability to wheelie the sled around in 3ft of powder. If your skilled enough and know how to use that type of power you can actually turn it on itself in the tightest and deepest powder. Where pretty much anything else will probably bury it self or if it doesn't the fun factor just isn't there it will just tractor around.
Yes, that type of power comes at a cost and lots actually never are able to really use it to their advantage. In fact, most that get into a 4stroke ride them as if it was a 2stroke and find them self very disappointed.

I can spend an entire day pulling big climbs in 3ft of powder on the Nytro and never will it drop a track speed below 120km/hr if i choose too and never do i worry about blowing it. Like i have been told many times, the ski's on the sled never touch snow till it comes to a rest.
Fact is the sled comes out of the snow faster, accelerates faster, has a much higher ground speed and out pulls and out climbs not by a margin but more in a way that cannot be matched unless its a turbo. ZERO comparison......So track speed does dominate. Combine that track speed with big track and big lugs, all you need is the right rider. Otherwise, smile and wave.

I don't expect the same results out of the Sidewinder but it will be similar and completely capable of laying down some serious track speeds at a flip of the throttle. When you compare 200hp and 250hp, it is very noticeable. Now compare that with any 800 that is down 25-30hp because of elevation..

A properly built sled should not wheelie anywhere even on hard packed snow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom