track speed when climbing

c.wilson07

Reaction score
I am curious what guys are seeing for track speed when climbing in the steep and deep. track size, gearing and clutch setup would be usefull info to have listed as well. My
2014 163 summit X stock was getting 58km/h when climbing in the deep snow after the RB clutch kit with 20 tooth gear (im a bigger guy 270ish with the gear on) seeing 63km/h. Ive heard guys talking about 70km/h + speeds out of stockers when climbing just trying to find out if thats in the deep stuff or just when climbing on the tracked up hills.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last ride on the hills with great snow on a climb I made an effort to watch my speedo.
2013 XM 154, roosterbuilt clutch kit (including his taller top gear), powder wedges, 2600km odo: 68-71 km/h.

summitX3"

Reaction score
I have a 2013 XM 164 with 3" track, 7 tooth driver, Geared 21/51, DJ clutch kit, 15.1-15.6 grams pin weight depending on snow condition, clicker 3, getting 70-73 km/h all day long. I also probably weigh close to 260 with gear on. What clicker are you on? Every time you go up a clicker, you lose track speed.

summitX3"

Reaction score
Go down in pin weight I would say, then go to clicker three.Calibrate on clicker three, (add or remove weight from flywheel to maintain 7900 RPM) you get the most trackspeed with the best backshift. Maybe try that? I'm no expert, but I bet your trackspeed will increase when you run on clicker three.

c.wilson07

Reaction score
Thanks for advice should mention I am happy with the way it climbs I was just surprised to here all the higher speed numbers mine and guy I ride with are close to the same he's a couple km higher but he's lighter. maybe I am leaving some performance on the table though if others are seeing nearly 10km/h more track speed

Ives

Reaction score
I have a 2013 XM 164 with 3" track, 7 tooth driver, Geared 21/51, DJ clutch kit, 15.1-15.6 grams pin weight depending on snow condition, clicker 3, getting 70-73 km/h all day long. I also probably weigh close to 260 with gear on. What clicker are you on? Every time you go up a clicker, you lose track speed.

With a 7 tooth, your speedo is out 10%, your reading 7 km/h faster than your going

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to stay on clicker 3-4. Climbing track speed is one of those things that everyone judges a little different. Some guys just hit "max recall", other look for the highest number, I try to look for the lowest sustainable speed or speed right before turnout. Snow conditions have an effect, is it 3ft of heavy wet of a foot of fluff....is the rider 150 or 280...etc....its just physics and it all makes a difference.
I generally see mid 40's mph (75-ish km/h) sustained with a 163, 20/51 gears. Max recall will show over 50, but just flashing occasionally to the higher numbers doesnt mean much (to me).
I have been messing with a different ramp that can be added to our existing setups, just need to get more test time on them but so far they are very promising.
Sometimes a small change in pin weight or finding the clicker/pin weight combination that works best for a particular sled or rider can make a big difference in how it performs. A guy can experiment with gearing also, 19-20-21 all work well but lower gear seems to work better banging the hills and taller better all-around....trees, racing your buddy or whatever.

c.wilson07

Reaction score
The 63 is my sustainable speed and it was deep snow. If it ever snows again might try a little less pin weight and lower clicker. I ride trees mostly anyway and the responsiveness with the way its set up seems very good for me

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14' XM SP 163, stock track and gearing, with some minor clutching from Racer's Edge. Shockwave in Secondary, ramps, spring and weights in Primary and still in break in mode…. seeing constant 67-70kph at 7900. Clicker 3.

RN

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious what guys are seeing for track speed when climbing in the steep and deep. track size, gearing and clutch setup would be usefull info to have listed as well. My
2014 163 summit X stock was getting 58km/h when climbing in the deep snow after the RB clutch kit with 20 tooth gear (im a bigger guy 270ish with the gear on) seeing 63km/h. Ive heard guys talking about 70km/h + speeds out of stockers when climbing just trying to find out if thats in the deep stuff or just when climbing on the tracked up hills.

Id say that's pretty respectable considering how much you weigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Respectable yes I agree. So how is your track speed

The way I judge my track speed Is on turnout. My last ride I was seeing 39-41 turnout track speed,or start up a steep hill in a fresh track, back right out if it slow down till you almost stop and pin it. See where your track speed recovers to, usually the same as turnout speed. I'm only 175 without gear. Average sustained on a climb, 45-47mph. Top speed varies on traction and other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.wilson07

Reaction score
I judge my track speed in a similar way and with the weight diff I can believe those numbers. maybe doubling up trips to the gym will have to be my answer. Cheaper that way anyhow

Top Bottom