Toy gps tracking devices

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using 2 spot trace units for toy security as I got ripped off a few years ago, they work great but the subscription cost for 2 is almost $500 Canadian per year after exchange and the turds renewed my devices and never sent an invoice, email, nothing just a surprise on the credit card. I’m kind of fed up with spot. Anyone have suggestion for other tracking devices to put onto things for theft tracking?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using 2 spot trace units for toy security as I got ripped off a few years ago, they work great but the subscription cost for 2 is almost $500 Canadian per year after exchange and the turds renewed my devices and never sent an invoice, email, nothing just a surprise on the credit card. I’m kind of fed up with spot. Anyone have suggestion for other tracking devices to put onto things for theft tracking?
Cheap android cell phone.
Throw a tablet plan on it, or data only.
Use Google+ tracking or snapchat.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheap android cell phone.
Throw a tablet plan on it, or data only.
Use Google+ tracking or snapchat.

intertesting idea but how do you keep device charged? Wouldn’t it have to be powered on if something got stolen to see where it was?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
intertesting idea but how do you keep device charged? Wouldn’t it have to be powered on if something got stolen to see where it was?
I just tap a charger into 12v on my trailer and my truck. Plug the phone in and the walk away.

Can watch the location of my stuff in real time from my phone.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess google is always your friend I found a device called a trackimo that does same by the looks of it for $60 us per year.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following, have been thinking about getting the tracer, not happy to hear about the cost. Insurance being so expensive a decent alternative to track and recover would be nice. Battery time/charging is definitely the downfall. Interested to see the alternatives

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just tap a charger into 12v on my trailer and my truck. Plug the phone in and the walk away.

Can watch the location of my stuff in real time from my phone.

You’re into some James Bond type chit there man...pretty wizzy Mr Skegpro...pretty wizzy.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Spot Trace on my trailer and every year when the subscription comes due I call and say I will drop my subscription for it and my phone and they drop the rate to 99 cad for the trace and 450/ year for the phone,,, I really like that the trace e-mails and texts me when the asset moves.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are new to SPOT be aware of auto renewal, apparently in the terms and conditions it’s outlined... 2 spot theft tracking devices after exchange $472 for a 1 year renewal, they said no to reducing subscription cost on threat of cancellation and they said I can review my subscription terms next nov, this year is renewed to bad so sad...I maybe shouldn’t have mentioned there tracker competition Trackimo is $60us per year when thiers is $175.

I wish there was some sort of crackdown on auto renewals without notification, email, alert nothing.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are new to SPOT be aware of auto renewal, apparently in the terms and conditions it’s outlined... 2 spot theft tracking devices after exchange $472 for a 1 year renewal, they said no to reducing subscription cost on threat of cancellation and they said I can review my subscription terms next nov, this year is renewed to bad so sad...I maybe shouldn’t have mentioned there tracker competition Trackimo is $60us per year when thiers is $175.

I wish there was some sort of crackdown on auto renewals without notification, email, alert nothing.
I doubt it would hold up in court.
Tell your credit card company you didn't authorize it an let them fight it.
Bet they buckle.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year before the renewal comes up I contact then and get then to reduce there price on both my phone and spot trace,,,, I pay just under 100 for the trace,,, When you call and are talking to the renewal person ask to speak to the supervisor,, the supervisor can give discounts !!

Last edited:
Reactions: RGM

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I got caught, after the fact they said go fly a kite, I needed to contact before. Have put a calendar notification in my phone for 2 weeks before for next year... then I’ll have some power. Still surprised with the company response maybe will still call in and ask for a supervisor on this years.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to try,,, I wish they would let you sign a 3 year contract at the reduced price,,, But no you have to call every year,, On the phones I have talked to lots of people and that contract is ALL over the place.
Some people pay $1200 / 1500 min, some pay $700/ 1500 min I got mine for $450,, same price as old contract,,, Like the trace and the phone just hate the f^^^in around.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I got caught, after the fact they said go fly a kite, I needed to contact before. Have put a calendar notification in my phone for 2 weeks before for next year... then I’ll have some power. Still surprised with the company response maybe will still call in and ask for a supervisor on this years.
Are you monthly or annual payment?

Has it been billed yet?
Call MasterCard and tell them your card has been compromised and get a new number, don't give it to Spot.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Annual processed in Nov, never saw it until I got my statement in dec. I’m the customer they love, not paying attention and drilled me for another year. My comment to them was an email prior to renewal would be nice but the not so good English of the service rep didn’t care too much for that comment.

My point of the venting, just for others to be aware of the auto renewal and cranked up subscription price neither with notification so subscriber beware.

Top Bottom