Towing enclosed trailer through the rockies

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be towing a 8.5'x24' enclosed trailer to the Shuswap area and was wondering which route you guys would recommend. Coming through Calgary I can take the #1 or drop down to Lethbridge and take the #3 followed by #33. Time is not an issue so a slightly longer drive is ok.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hwy1 is an easy tow. Make sure your breaks are setup properly but it's an easy drive.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Route 3 is twisty, route 1 has more opportunities to pass. Both are nice and scenic. Maybe go out using route 1 and return on the #3?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Route 3 is twisty, route 1 has more opportunities to pass. Both are nice and scenic. Maybe go out using route 1 and return on the #3?
More passes and higher climbs on #3. TC will be faster and more enjoyable. You could use #3 to Cranbrook and then north to Golden and the TC the rest of the way.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing with a newer duramax one way only. Interesting... I read somewhere #3 is crossing less mountains. TransCanada it is I guess.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No question about it, #1. I have been going west of Calgary on both the #1 & #3 for over 20 years for work and play. It is not "slightly longer" but significantly longer - going north on either off of the #3 at Cranbrook, or Kelowna. Don't look at the distances on google maps as the roads are two lane, not four, and always slower than posted in the summer.

Top Bottom