Torque Limiter/Slip Clutch on Polaris 850 XP

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody out there has had the same problem as I have. My new Polaris 850 has a slip clutch/torque limiter of some kind in the transmission that is driving me nuts!! Does anybody have any input as to what needs to be done to eliminate the problem? I've heard welding the discs, bolting the discs together, is there a shaft kit that will replace the clutch/limiter that can be installed? It's a great quad, I have a 3" lift with 30" Maxxi Mudzilla's on it, but it won't hardly go anywhere. VERY frustrating!!!
Any and all input is very much appreciated;
Thanks Snow and Mud;

Rick

Sammy

Reaction score
Quad shop customs has a kit to help with this problem. Doesn't eliminate the load spike damper but raises its break point i believe. i purchased my clutch kit for my XP from him. Very stand up guy.
adam@quadshopcustoms.com

huk2

Reaction score
if you have sometime , call highlifter and they can send you what you need.They helped my buddy and now his machine will go threw anything.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its wierd because i have never hit mine on my 850 yet. but i do have a quad shop customs SLD mod ready to go in to make sure i never hit it. i would give them a shout. they have top quality products and adam is a great guy to deal with.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the QSC kit in mine. It is a must with big rubber.

OP- that's weird yours has not engaged yet. I've seen your vid's and I know mine when I first got hit it steady.

Ryan14

Reaction score
mine was slipping constantly with just 27 zillas on till i got the sld. knew i wouldnt be able to move with the 30s. once it happens it will happen more frequently

huk2

Reaction score
my friend has 31 outlaws and he called highlifter and they sent him the parts and we put them in and now his machine is a monster.No more clicking or racheting.

Sammy

Reaction score
its wierd because i have never hit mine on my 850 yet. but i do have a quad shop customs SLD mod ready to go in to make sure i never hit it. i would give them a shout. they have top quality products and adam is a great guy to deal with.

X2 on this!! I have very similar set up, 30" backs on black 212's and i am running the QSC clutch kit and have not had mine ratchet yet. I have not run in the heavy clay ( peanut butter ) with this set up yet and would suspect this will be the only time it would possibly slip.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i finally got to the part of taking apart the trany. i took apart the compensator shaft, removed 2 of the washers and installed the new one. Now when i go to put it back together i cannot get it to compress enough to get the snap ring back on. if i remove 2 of the little washers just under the snap ring i can get it to go on. Is it ok to remove these two washers or do i have to leave them in?

Ryan14

Reaction score
thats why i got a dealer to install it so i didnt get it all apart and not back together

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why i got a dealer to install it so i didnt get it all apart and not back together

haha. thats the only thing i am having troubles with. the rest of it went fine. i guess i could take it to work and see if the guys can get it to go.

Reaction score
HI All: I got the Kit from QSC, had a dealer install it for me, and my first real ride was to the Robb Ralley yesterday, and the kit worked GREAT.No slipping, ratcheting, of any kind. I do have to replace the front left spindle, a recall from the factory. When i'm done that, I'll be ready to rock again.
Where is there some ralley's in the next few weeks? i've been to Cold Lake, Bronson Lake, wonder if they still have them, with lots of mud!!
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks S & M::
Rick

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the reason they put that in when the quad is built?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so they tranny slips instead of breaking axles or belts. i took mine to work and we stuck it in the press and got it to compress enough. tranny is back together and ready to go back in the bike.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so they tranny slips instead of breaking axles or belts. i took mine to work and we stuck it in the press and got it to compress enough. tranny is back together and ready to go back in the bike.

Ok,,just wondering.

My spring I hope is done tomorrow.

I am putting maxxis bighorn tires on

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know a few guys that have bighorns and they are not happy at all. good for trail riding but thats about it. any mud or skeg and they were stuck.

Top Bottom