Toronto-based EV retailer aims to make EV ownership accessible for everyone

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope all that wind energy does better than texas.

I hope you realize that the Texas outages were mostly caused by natural gas power plants failing to start, management of these facilities decided that anti-freeze in the plants cooling systems was an optional expense they could skimp on, we all know how that worked out.

The wind turbines there were the same concept, most turbines come with de-icing equipment as a standard option, again someone in Texas decided to not have the de-icing equipment installed just to save a few bucks.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always interesting to me that every EV thread pivots into the whole fear mongering of not enough power available. If you were to purchase a hot tub, air conditioner, electric welder, electric infloor heating, oven, aeration fan, etc, there would not be one single person who would chime in about the grid not being able to handle the additional load OR question how the electricity required would be generated. I would just say that you should take the opportunity to try an EV if you have one. Most of the people on here that have an extreme dislike for EV have never even sat in one before.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have ALOT of EV charging stations here in Kelowna, they are popping up everywhere and not one at a time but half a dozen or more in one location at a time.
Most of them are being setup in mall parking lots and are reserved for EV vehicles only. There are also gas stations along Highway 97 through Kelowna now setup with charging stations and the other day i saw a hotel, don't remember the name of it but in its parking lot it had atleast 6 charging station for EV vehicles.
So face it you old dino, its the future and fossil fuels are going the way of the dodo bird.
Probably not in my time frame but if sledding remains a sport in the future, it won't be gas powered i'm betting.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have zero problem with EV, and they are definitely way more popular in BC.

Fossil fuels are here to stay until the fall of civilization though.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe "EVs" are the future but i disagree where they get the power from.....there is a much bigger discussion about that but we can leave it there.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always interesting to me that every EV thread pivots into the whole fear mongering of not enough power available. If you were to purchase a hot tub, air conditioner, electric welder, electric infloor heating, oven, aeration fan, etc, there would not be one single person who would chime in about the grid not being able to handle the additional load OR question how the electricity required would be generated. I would just say that you should take the opportunity to try an EV if you have one. Most of the people on here that have an extreme dislike for EV have never even sat in one before.

Agreed , lots of pushback from uninformed and most likely the EV market will continue to grow rapidly. But I believe one Of the biggest reasons for much of the negativity is the blatant hypocrisy and self congratulatory back slapping re the true impact on Mother Earth . In so many ways it sorta seems like replacing one impactful industry with another ?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope that if i ever end up buying an "EV sled" that it comes with an optional 2stroke/4stroke LOUD sound system connected to the throttle because i'm sure going to miss that.

Maybe we could get a menu setting to select, pipe, no pipe, single or twin pipes, even a turbo whine LOL.

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope that if i ever end up buying an "EV sled" that it comes with an optional 2stroke/4stroke LOUD sound system connected to the throttle because i'm sure going to miss that.

Maybe we could get a menu setting to select, pipe, no pipe, single or twin pipes, even a turbo whine LOL.

I would miss my Sled Shed Cooker can.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's try to explore a near worst case scenario to examine this:

There's about 3.5 million registered vehicles in Alberta. Lets assume every one of those vehicles are driving an average 50km per day commute. Lets also assume those cars are similar to a Model Y and consume 10kwh to make that commute. Let's also assume those vehicles are charged over an 8hr period all at the same time during the night.

3,500,000 x 10kwh = 35,000MWh. Total daily energy use for all cars.
35,000MWh / 8h = 4375MW additional charging power consumption added to the grid during that 8hr charging period.

This time of year the nighttime power consumption for the province of Alberta is between 8,000 and 9,000MW. So if the entire province went to all electric cars this would increase total nighttime electrical demand about 50%. The peak day time power load in summer is around 12,000MW, so most of the infrastructure to handle this load mostly already exists. Would this require some grid improvements and new power plants to be built? Absolutely. Would it instantly cripple the grid, or be an insurmountable task to achieve? No.

Where the issue comes from is from the increase in localized demand. Many neighborhoods wouldn't have enough capacity to support charging an EV or 2 at every house, so upgrades would be needed in many distribution systems. Again not an insurmountable task, but it would be a cost that would be past on to consumers in the form of higher transmission and distributions fees on their power bills.

Lets not let facts get in the way of the same old emotionally driven and easily debunked talking points.

Also, vehicle to grid technology will likely add to grid stability in the future and reduce the necessity for infrastructure upgrades.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The difference is not everyone will add those electrical devices, nor be mandated by or forced into getting one by the government at the threat of increased taxation. I’ve demonstrated several times the huge environmental costs that the renewable energy industry glosses over or deliberately hides. When the worn out batteries start piling up and the wind and solar farms reach the end of their lives and have to be dealt with at taxpayer expense reality will smack everyone in the face. Just because it’s cool to get into a Tesla and zip around doesn’t mean it’s for everybody. When the government removes the subsidies for EV’s, and people start finding out that it costs several thousand dollars to upgrade their house electrical service to get something that takes less than a day to charge their putt-putt car, and that their electricity bill just quadrupled, the push for battery EV’s will wane….if however someone comes up with a small, mobile, cost effective and reliable way of generating electricity, that’s a totally different story

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference is not everyone will add those electrical devices, nor be mandated by or forced into getting one by the government at the threat of increased taxation. I’ve demonstrated several times the huge environmental costs that the renewable energy industry glosses over or deliberately hides. When the worn out batteries start piling up and the wind and solar farms reach the end of their lives and have to be dealt with at taxpayer expense reality will smack everyone in the face. Just because it’s cool to get into a Tesla and zip around doesn’t mean it’s for everybody. When the government removes the subsidies for EV’s, and people start finding out that it costs several thousand dollars to upgrade their house electrical service to get something that takes less than a day to charge their putt-putt car, and that their electricity bill just quadrupled, the push for battery EV’s will wane….if however someone comes up with a small, mobile, cost effective and reliable way of generating electricity, that’s a totally different story

I would say almost no one needs to upgrade their house service to accommodate an EV. Charging off 120V works (not great in the winter when it's outside but would work in a heated garage) and even 16amps @ 240V does a pretty good job. Your clothes dryer uses a 30A breaker, and your oven is usually a 50A breaker. If you want to to run your a/c, hot tub, cook a turkey in the oven, and do laundry all at the same time, then it would be an issue. 10 kWh ($2.00 electricity all in after fees) will give you 62km of city driving (140wh/km) or 52km of highway driving (170wh/km @120km/h). These numbers factor in 88% charging efficiency as well. Would $60/month additional electricity consumption really be a deal breaker?

And if we want to talk about all the problems of solar panel recycling and windmill blade disposal I think we should also acknowledge there there is a lot of clean up and reclamation work that needs to be done by the oil industry in Alberta that will likely get passed on to the tax payer.

Anyways, EV's are not some miracle unicorn transportation that use no resources or create no pollution. They definitely do, but are better than what's currently out there.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago Danielle Smith had an expert on and he said only 3% of cars in North America were EV. Long ways to go

Kenny are you going to buy an ELECTRIC TRACTOR for the FARM.........LMAO:nono:

Top Bottom