Top End??

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
hey guys.
im new to sledding,learnt everything i know from reading forums...

well i was flying across the lake at about a buck twenty and my 05 summit 800 stopped. made a little back fire and that was her.
towed back to the cabin and pulled my plugs.
pto side spark plug has knicks on it and low compression.
im assuming i wrecked a ring??? and need a top end???
ive never ripped apart a motor before. is there any tricks to doing a top end.
should i be looking for anything else?

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is pretty safe to assume you wrecked more then a ring!! If you've never pulled apart a motor before you might want to call some help to do it the first time, or get a shop manual.... I've done my motor a few times (I know .... that doesn't sound good.. ) and I would recommend putting in new dual ringed pistons..... good luck!! :d:beer:

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
haha ya i was pretty sure more then just a ring..lol
trying to be optimistic..lol
whats it cost to do a top end usually. just curious on an average price??

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well..... at least your optimistic... and still smiling!! lol...
It's hard to give an estimate on the cost till you open it up and find out the damage. I just recently did my pistons due to low compression on one side, but I didn't have any cylinder damage.

These are the pistons I put in....

Ski Doo REV XP 800R DUAL RING piston kit on eBay.ca (item 280586447779 end time 07-Mar-11 22:56:09 EST)

... and if the cylinders are just lightly scarred you might want to just re-coat them....

If the cylinders are to scarred then you may have to replace them.... OUCH!!! I would think that is in the neighborhood of $1200.00

... and then depending on if there was any "shavings" that my have gone down into the crank you may want to clean that up and check that...

Sorry to be the bearrer of bad news.... let us know how it goes.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't done one before get a copy of the manual on ebay for 10 bucks.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that sux.
I went with MCB Dual rings and VForce III reeds. I bought them right from MCB and got it all for about $600.
If your planning on doing it yourself, one thing to note is that when you pull the wrist pin out and pull the piston, all the needle bearings are going to be loose in there. Make sure you stuff rags around the rod so none of the bearings can fall down inside. If they do, your splitting the case.

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
thanks for the info.
i was also curious. is there any special tools a guy needs to do a top end?
this will be next weekends project. just wanna make sure i have everything so im good to go.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
post some pics when you get it apart. Did you have any mods on it?

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info.
i was also curious. is there any special tools a guy needs to do a top end?
this will be next weekends project. just wanna make sure i have everything so im good to go.

Not really. Just a good assortment of metric wrenches and sockets, and allen wrenches for the Y-pipes. You may want to get some new Nordlock washers for the Y-Pipe to keep the bolts from backing out as well.

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
i have a mbrp can and an intake and k&n filters..
im thinking i was running a little lean....but my plugs were a nice brown color..

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that sux.
I went with MCB Dual rings and VForce III reeds. I bought them right from MCB and got it all for about $600.
If your planning on doing it yourself, one thing to note is that when you pull the wrist pin out and pull the piston, all the needle bearings are going to be loose in there. Make sure you stuff rags around the rod so none of the bearings can fall down inside. If they do, your splitting the case.

Ah, a little magnet magic will fish them babies right outta the case!!!:eek: Not that I had to do this, and then count them to make sure I had them:nono::d:d:d

jdawgtherigpig

Reaction score
you know what i realized reading over the thread. i forgot to mention i had a 670 in my rev. dont know why i posted in here. sorry guys. i really thought i put that in......

but anyways. thanks for all the info guys. helped me out a lot.
i ripped my motor apart by myself just by reading forums here and doo talk..

obviously my ring was shot. little wear on the piston. tiny little bit of damage to my cylinder.just a little scuffing. getting bored out and new pistons.
pretty easy to do i found.

i figure i was jetted low. i am running stock jets with twin pipe and k&n filters and a mountain magic intake.
so gonna jet up a couple sizes.

i hear there is lots of tweaking a guy can do.
as i said before. sorry for posting in the rev section and thanks for everythigng.

Top Bottom