Too many fallen brothers

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should all take a long hard look at what is happening out on the mountain and just call it a season, how many families have to suffer, i've cancelled my last trip because the conditions are too unpredictable. The mountain will be there next year it's not going anywhere.........just take a minute and think of the other people that you would be hurting if you died in an avalache it's not worth it. This is just my :twocents::nono:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey scuba u hace a better chance dying on hiway 63 then on the mountains lol well iam from wandering river and i know the hyways are :d:d:d:d

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya Scuba I hear ya...I look forward to riding with ya next year again...we will see ya on the lake instead. I am making some calls tonight to check with everyone but so far two fo the group are okay with us cancelling. I will hafto make up with an extra stay at the Monishee next year.....I have a bad feeling about it as does my wife, parents, my work associates, etc...too many people worried..and for good reason..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll still be going up and playing in the hills.. But i will definitely be looking at where i play and how i do it for the rest of the season but it wont stop me from going totally. Just my opinion.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks glen i rent that m8 off u then i come home and buy an 09 hcr arctic cat :d:d:d:d:d:d

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also posted in McBride section "march conditions"

I have a question, and I welcome the opinion of anyone who has knowledge regarding avalanche safety.

It has been my understanding that the more common areas that get tracked out the most, after each and every snow fall, are significantly safer than the more remote, and less traveled areas, where the snow can build up for several days or weeks before a powder seeking group explores there way in there to ride fresh stuff. Am I way off base on this?, or am I on the right track to understanding how to ride safely in these current conditions?.

I ask this question on behalf of all the riders that get scared or guilted into canceling well planned trips because of broad brush comments that ALL mountain riding is a death wish right now. If the recent avy was WAAAY back behind renshaw, perhaps thats an eye opener to stay in the common areas, near the cabin, and enjoy them the best we can.

Dean

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also posted in McBride section "march conditions"

I have a question, and I welcome the opinion of anyone who has knowledge regarding avalanche safety.

It has been my understanding that the more common areas that get tracked out the most, after each and every snow fall, are significantly safer than the more remote, and less traveled areas, where the snow can build up for several days or weeks before a powder seeking group explores there way in there to ride fresh stuff. Am I way off base on this?, or am I on the right track to understanding how to ride safely in these current conditions?.

I ask this question on behalf of all the riders that get scared or guilted into canceling well planned trips because of broad brush comments that ALL mountain riding is a death wish right now. If the recent avy was WAAAY back behind renshaw, perhaps thats an eye opener to stay in the common areas, near the cabin, and enjoy them the best we can.

Dean

You are mostly right.. The area that the slide happened is the cushing area which is the area shortly after you go over the saddle at the renshaw and headed for winbergers bowl.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good.Will have the most up to datre avvy conditions available for you at the shop when you come in.
I will make another trip or two this year just have to watch out and play safe my condolences go out to all the families of the fallen

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself i plan on workin on startin a family this summer and i need to be around for that and to be around to help raise them so i'll play in the safe area's. Will also be having a convo with quadster this evening explaining my feelings on the situations goin on here right now. I can still go up and play and have a blast and burn all my gas without gettin myself into trouble area's. Might be an idea to get a tour from adrenaline tours if you dont know the area well.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i will be riding a couple more times this year, but i will be in the cut blocks and meadows, the ones that have fallen wouldnt want us to quit riding because of losing them, they would want us to keep on riding

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am not an expert and should probably just shut up. But everyone who is reading these threads are getting another tid-bit of information to process when accessing the dangers.

There are weak parts in the snow pack depending on Mother Nature and her overall plan. Hoar, sections of small trees, rocks and rock out croppings, convoluted hills, and of course wind blown snow are all some of the factors. The "packed" hill (it is not packed uniformally and there are many concepts at work within the unevenly "packed" snow) appears safe until a weak spot is cut or exposed (ie track going over rocks close to the surface or cutting through the patch of buried trees). In my experience, my teeth aren't the longest on the block, the highest percentage of cuts happen when doing a sidehill manover and/or turning to come down. The snow settles and the fracture line can travel a long distance exposing or intersecting more weak spots and down it comes. The snow is heavy and it is sitting on a sloped surface just sort of hanging on. The extra weight of a sled and rider, upwards of 700-800 lbs., can be the tipping factor.

Back in the days of riding the flatland we experienced the weight of the snow on the sloughs and lakes. After a heavy dump or a big wind event on a larger lake, there is over flow. Why? The weight of the snow is heavy on the ice and has forced the water out along the edges and the pressure cracks causing the overflow. Not really related to avalanches other than the fact that an accumulation of snow is heavy.

Another factor can be whether or not the new snow has bonded to the "packed" snow. Snow pits are great for revealing this concept but how many sledders dig snow pits. The back-country skiers have been digging snow pits for years and assessing the snow pack and we as sledders have to be more conscientious in this regard. This winter I have seen a lot of natural slab avalanches that have not gone to ground as the newer snow has not bonded well with the base.

The hill with the "packed" snow may have cornices or large areas of wind blown snow up above. They may still be loading from the alpine winds as you ride or warming with solar radiation and loading with water.

A lot of factors to consider besides the fact that this slope is "packed" or everyone has ridden it all day sort of thing and we rode that yesterday and it was safe. Did it load during the night with the wind, etc, etc.?

If you are riding, please ride safe. If you're staying home that might be a good thing.

ajay

Reaction score
This may be the first year in 21 since ridding the mountains that I may miss. It is hard to leave your family at home and heading off to go ridding after they hear all the news and reports on the avy activity. They would be just sick worrying even though you would try to do the right things equiped with your avy gear and stick to the safe areas you have got to know over the years. It seems back a few or more years ago we had fewer incidents and I know mother nature is unpredictable and won't give us consistent conditons every year. But these days you can go into a dealership and pick out a new sled that you can take to the mountains and point at pretty much any hill or head to any area you are willing to risk, things have changed over the years so much in alpine and back country ridding. We use to spend all day making trail just to the warm-up cabins. Now we can get back to the far end of an area and beyond in a few minutes. I am not sure the trend of incidents will go down or not, I hope they do. Maybe we need to be more aware and more educated in this high risk sport. I by no means would not go and ride again, I love this sport too much, maybe even next weekend if things settle down. Please be safe out there to ride again another day. I pass on my condolences to all of the families and friends of the lost sledders...they will be missed.

Ajay

Top Bottom