to clutch or not to clutch,,, info needed

jonyblade

Reaction score
i have a rzr s 800, 2010, and i want to put 28, possibly outlaws on it, there seems to be massive perception on clutching, some guys swear by it, other guys never do it and have no issues,, what do u think? and whats a popular tire for these razors,, 1st one, looking at swamp lites also, 28, whatever i get go on a 14 in rim

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much different the clutching is between my 13 and your 10 but i have maxxis zillas on mine and have had zero clutch issues, runs just as good as it did with stockers on. If you around in edmonton check out rapid revolutions they have a ton of tires in stock. i have swamp lites on my 850 and though they have been good and lasted 5000km i wont be putting them back on to heavy of a tire for what they are, i think i will go with a 28 or possibly a 31 zilla on the 850 much lighter and more aggressive and you really cant bet the price of them.

yamafam

Reaction score
You have to clutch. Think of it this way, if you put a longer heavier track on your sled would you do clutching or gearing? Of course. Its the same deal rzrs basically have sled clutches.

togo ripper

Reaction score
Clutching makes a huge difference with zillas you don't notice it much from stock because they are such a light tire but when you get into outlaws or anything similar it's going to be sluggish and heat the belt a lot from slippage because of the new weight and grip they have

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a rzr s 800, 2010, and i want to put 28, possibly outlaws on it, there seems to be massive perception on clutching, some guys swear by it, other guys never do it and have no issues,, what do u think? and whats a popular tire for these razors,, 1st one, looking at swamp lites also, 28, whatever i get go on a 14 in rim

a bud has the same rzr as you, runs 28 swamp lites, goes just about everywhere, no clutch kit. rides in low on the trails, and so far been a good ride. i'd suggest putting the tires on and give it a try, you can always do a clutch kit if you feel it needs it. my ranger runs fine with 30 inch mega mayhems, definitely don't need a clutch kit, unless you get into 32 inch tires.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol , you do not need a clutch kit for any 28 inch tire on a rzr....
You could run. 30 zillas all day with stock clutch set up....
It's not a canam set up
In there.....

jonyblade

Reaction score
sure are some mixed opinions about clutching, my tires go on tomorow, dalton clutch kit is 350 and usually in stock, and here in edmonton we are expecting 4 days of snow and a cold snap so the option of finding a mud hole is pretty slim, i am sure there would be a difference with it but i think i may try it stock and see how it performs, not a big deal to swap it out thats for sure

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure are some mixed opinions about clutching, my tires go on tomorow, dalton clutch kit is 350 and usually in stock, and here in edmonton we are expecting 4 days of snow and a cold snap so the option of finding a mud hole is pretty slim, i am sure there would be a difference with it but i think i may try it stock and see how it performs, not a big deal to swap it out thats for sure
Do your self a favor........spend the 350 on a 2inch lift and HL springs.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your self a favor........spend the 350 on a 2inch lift and HL springs.

Good recommendation

Op won't need a clutch kit unless going to 32 inch tires! This is for a rzr
Not a can am

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutching will be fine. don't forget to order a set of axles though....this is a RZR, not a Can Am.....

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk Dave's back ! Haha.
But in a serious note,the clutching will be fine. I run 28" silverbacks on my rzr 4 800. No issues turning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What tires did you end up going with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did he clutch? or still running stock

no, he is still running stock clutching, you won't need to reclutch eithe,r unless your into dragsters. polaris has clutching dialed in. you may need to if you go bigger than true 30 inch tires . I have heard more guys who put bigger tires on the can ams go to different clutching is all. try it out and see, if you think you lost a bunch down low you can always do a clutch upgrade. no one i have been riding with has ever done clutching on the rzr or 900 ranger, as far as i know.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will second spending the money on the 2 inch lift and springs. One the guys i ride with has a 10 and with the lift and springs it sits about the same as my 13, and any extra clearance wont hurt.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, he is still running stock clutching, you won't need to reclutch eithe,r unless your into dragsters. polaris has clutching dialed in. you may need to if you go bigger than true 30 inch tires . I have heard more guys who put bigger tires on the can ams go to different clutching is all. try it out and see, if you think you lost a bunch down low you can always do a clutch upgrade. no one i have been riding with has ever done clutching on the rzr or 900 ranger, as far as i know.

I did on both of mine. Not really necessary, I just like screwing with things.

Top Bottom