To buy a sled?

polarischik

Reaction score
Need some advice. Very new to sledding, picked up my first sled this year, 2003 RMK 800 and I am addicted. Thinking about grabbing another one however not sure what to get. Budget is around 1500 which I realize is peanuts. But might be able to grab a rebuilt 1997 700 Mountain Max triple for 1500. Seems to be in good shape. Or a 2000 700 Summit, also rebuilt with unknown km, needs some tie rods and has an unknown oil leak, asking 2000. I don't have a ton of mechanical experience nor do I really know what I am looking for and would love some advice. Thanks!

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rmk 2003 is a nice pick-up, but Yamaha 1997 700 triple is too heavy and difficult to maintain (IMXO), though I know some people love them cuse these triples have some power. Anyway think you need little bit more experience to fix Yammy.
Summit is light and fan to drive, had one of those a long time ago. Got only disappointing with trailing arms - they were built from aluminium. Heard some other summits have trailing arms made from steel.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the incredibly addictive hobby of snowmobiling! If you have patience, your $1500 will buy more sled in April/May and again in September - October.
Summit 583's were an awesome sleds and reliable.

polarischik

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'm going to wait hold off and try and get a bit more cash together for a new more reliable machine. Maybe even think about financing one next year!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the RMK you have now? If it's reliable and seems to be working why not hang onto it until you can upgrade to a newer lighter and lower mile machine?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll sell you my 2015 Skidoo T3 in the spring for a good price! Perfect sled ski rig!

Dakine879

Reaction score
ya like LBZ asked : why do you need another sled? nothing wrong with honing your skills on the RMK...

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The longer you spend on that '03, the better rider you will become.
And besides, of all the sleds you mentioned, you already have the best. If needed, put a little back into the ol girl.
They were/are a great machine.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya like LBZ asked : why do you need another sled? nothing wrong with honing your skills on the RMK...

Not many people actually "need" a sled,,, its more of a want. Id say save up for, or finance a new sled. They are SOOO much more fun to ride than

that old junk(no offense)

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple schools of thought for buying sleds: Buy and pay cash for what you can afford. Buy and pay what you can afford per month.
In this forum you will see there are some threads about that financing and how you may get you 'upside' down on your sled. In other words you may owe more to the bank than what the market value of the sled.
If you got cash and a good job that you can depend on for a couple years and you have your heart set on a newer or new sled, then I would finance. Include in your budget the extra costs for insurance as you will need full coverage while the lien is against the sled.

Top Bottom