tj check engine light

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. After gently washing the engine compartment of my jeep with some low pressure, my check engine light came on. It also idols low at only 750 rpm. I put a rag in the air intake so no water would get in the air box. And I also tried my best to keep water away from any electric business and the battery. Anybody know what might be ailing my poor tj?

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. After gently washing the engine compartment of my jeep with some low pressure, my check engine light came on. It also idols low at only 750 rpm. I put a rag in the air intake so no water would get in the air box. And I also tried my best to keep water away from any electric business and the battery. Anybody know what might be ailing my poor tj?
yep......it's a dodge.... and they don't like water......or baths.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
my titan did that, well didnt idle low but check engine light came on, i took it out on the highways gave her a good run and it went off the next day....mechanic said probably just a wet harness.....and it will usually take a vehicle a day or to to reset the code itself

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You need to get it scanned and read the fault code...... The check engine lite coming on tells you there is a fault code in the system and it is in default mode when the lite is on....... Possibly a throttle position sensor.... We just had a '97 jeep tj in today and it was the tps......... Jus' sayin' ;)

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Something got wet the supposed to be dry let it dry out a bit... if you can drive it a bit the air blowing around and the engine temp will help dry it.... disconnect the battery let sit 10 min reconnect should clear the light.....if it comes back on get it scanned

Also check make sure the gas cap is tight before you disconnect the battery....if you have forgotten to put on your gas cap before it will throw a code for the check engine light ....easy money maker for the shops

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If it is a newer jeep you can cycle the key 3 times and it will check give you the code numbers in the mileage area usually start with "P" if older hold the trip reset and turn the key ahead and the gauges will do a self diagnostic and will sometimes give you a code...works for all mopar

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is a newer jeep you can cycle the key 3 times and it will check give you the code numbers in the mileage area usually start with "P" if older hold the trip reset and turn the key ahead and the gauges will do a self diagnostic and will sometimes give you a code...works for all mopar

its a 2000... that new enough?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Did it look like this before you washed it? This was on Sunday. 3rd time it's looked like this and still no check engine light!lol

Attachments

• flopped rubicon.jpg
    flopped rubicon.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom