Tires won't hold air.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 27" Bear Claws. Two of them keep going flat within a couple weeks. I've heard reports that Bear Claws are infamous for that. I did put some flat fixer stuff in one tire and that did nothing. Anybody have some ideas how to fix this?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I used to run bear claws back in the day and never ever had any problems with them. It sounds to me like you might have a beed leaking problem. Take em down to Fountain Tire and have Kelvin reinstall them with that black beed lock glue. Good Luck. :beer: :beer:

W

woodies

i have same kind of problem, not a quad but my truck. take the rim and tire get soapy water solution and start spraying, might help to increase your tire pressure to. spray around every where and you might find like mine its the aluminum rim is poruse enough to let air out. not much i can do about it junk after market winter rims. 2 out of 4 NICE

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fill the bath tub with nice warm water..(when the wife is not home..trust me) then submurse the tire and look for the bubbles..you might have pourus rims or even a slight crack in the rim..or a pin hole in the bead..you will find out quick once the bubbles start:beer:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know the rims could be porous and leak air. They are ITP rims. I thought they were good quality.

I think I'll take them down to Fountain Tire and check them out in their bath tub. :)

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing with my honda factory rims, I have mudbugs tires on them, one always leaks over two weeks. If nothing works might have to go with a tube.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run bear claws back in the day and never ever had any problems with them. It sounds to me like you might have a beed leaking problem. Take em down to Fountain Tire and have Kelvin reinstall them with that black beed lock glue. Good Luck. :beer: :beer:

I agree, usually it's the beads, you need to clean them real good and I have used Ultra Black silicone on the beads when I mounted them and that fixed it. It might be the rims but that is not very common.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem on my stock arctic cat tires. Took them apart and was surprised how much mud gets in the bead. Btw when you need to check the bead where submersion of the tire is not possible I found that pouring a small amount of beer on the rim will usually find it well as it really starts to foam. Remember just a small amount ..... don't want to waste after all. lol :beer::beer::d:beer::beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Had the same problem on my stock arctic cat tires. Took them apart and was surprised how much mud gets in the bead. Btw when you need to check the bead where submersion of the tire is not possible I found that pouring a small amount of beer on the rim will usually find it well as it really starts to foam. Remember just a small amount ..... don't want to waste after all. lol :beer::beer::d:beer::beer:

Thats alcohol abuse right there!!!! Supposed to drink all the beer first then pizz on the tire :d

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Is the valve core tight? Is the valve stem leaking or no? When u go plowin thru the pudding, you shove alot of $hit into to outer beads,sometimes inner, thus creating a slooooooooooooow leak. just take the tire off get some soapy water in a bottle and cover inner/outer beads, then take the valve cap off and squirt a little water over the valvecore and around valve stem. If still no bubbs try the tread, each lug and look very closely, the bubbles will be small but they will be there.:common001::drink4:

PS: do you have 2008 air in your tires? better swap it out with 09 air, supposed to do wonders for ya! lol:beer::d:beer:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Captjack. What is ultra Black silicone? I've never heard of it. What properties does it have that makes it better for this application.

Hey munhoez, you might be onto something with your suggestion to swap out the air. After all we are cleaning up our environment lately and the old air probably has more acid and stuff in it right. :)

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fist check the tire in water as above mentioned . you could have bad valve stems common problem can happen during tire mounting as well bend them too far they will leak , loose valve core . or just a bead leak. some tires just don't seat well on a bead and leak.

Bead leaks are quite common when i was younger i worked in a tire shop it happens alot.

take a soft copper wire brush to the rim and clean it really well .. take a wet rag and wipe it clean.also wipe the tires bead's clean. get some tire sealant and do the bead's with it. all the way around both sides don't miss any and then re inflate the tires. the tar type sealant should block any small seal leaks that the bead had and your tires should be leak free.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fill the bath tub with nice warm water..(when the wife is not home..trust me) then submerse the tire and look for the bubbles..you might have pourus rims or even a slight crack in the rim..or a pin hole in the bead..you will find out quick once the bubbles start:beer:

Okay I just finished sniffing that Ultra Black Silicone..:eek:.. Now if your gonna sit in the bath tub with the tire looking for bubbles be careful not to fart cause then you will have trouble distinguishing where them bubbles are coming from..:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Okay I just finished sniffing that Ultra Black Silicone..:eek:.. Now if your gonna sit in the bath tub with the tire looking for bubbles be careful not to fart cause then you will have trouble distinguishing where them bubbles are coming from..:d

Careful if you sniff too much and trace the wrong bubbles you just might end up siliconing your A$$ shut

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run tubes in all my tires now too! too many dings in the rims, just small ones, but they still leak! tubes are just easier and i don't have to worry about them leaking in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya tubes does make to much sense doesn't it. I took them down to Fountain Tire and it was the beads they said. I did notice the one that leaked the most did have a nasty ding on it like Buck50 says.

I will definitely be looking for tubes if they leak again. Where do you guys get tubes? Tire store, Crappy tire...

Top Bottom