Tire size A/T trail tire

atvottawa

Reaction score
I have asked this question on other sites. You never seem to get a real good response. Some say that you should go 28" other say stick to stock.

I have an 07 Brute force 650i, not the biggest, but definetly not the smallest. I want a good 'does everything tire' I do not run massive mud, but I am not afraid of it either if I come to it on the trail, and I am not rock climbing, but again if theres a rock in my way I will climb it. I like to have fun and run trails with just about everything on them. I also do some road running so the tire needs to be durable. The other stipilation? sp is that I want a radial tire.

Grim reaper (reviews?)
Reptile (durability?)
Terracross
XTR (weight?)
Outlaw Radial (price- high!)
maybe Bighorn (just wondering about mud performance)
I would like to have side bite to get out of the ruts.

These are the ones I am looking at in 9" fronts and 11" rears

My main question is this Do I really loose that much fun with say a 27 or 28" tire over a 25 or 26" tire? Would it be good to get same size widths front and rear? or stick with 9's and 11's?

thanks for the input guys/ gals

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Have you looked into Kenda Bear Claws, they have great site bite.

The XTR's will be a heavy tire, and last a long time,.. and that 650 won't have a problem, IMO I wouldn't go over a 27" tire without putting in a clutch kit.

atvottawa

Reaction score
The bear claws are a great tire, however I am kind of looking for a radial and the bearclaw EX radial is just too lack luster for me. It looks like you are ruuning stocks. Why not just make the bear claw into a radial instead of changing the tread...?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bear claws are a great tire, however I am kind of looking for a radial and the bearclaw EX radial is just too lack luster for me. It looks like you are ruuning stocks. Why not just make the bear claw into a radial instead of changing the tread...?

Because they were released for the UTV market that's why the radial.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Mud Wolf's , have 4000klm on mine and they are great in mud or on the trail.

atvottawa

Reaction score
mud wolfs are not a radial.
Still on the fence with tire selection.
in order of preference
Terras
XTR
reptiles
grims

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^yeah i looked at them, seem pretty decent. as far as size, 27s would be nice. would fit good, no mods (clutching etc needed) and if you have warranty it wont void it. Thats the size id get if i buy another set of tires.

atvottawa

Reaction score
Radial Bugs, they seem like an easy to turn simple tire. I think I need something more than that personally.

TGS

Reaction score
i have 27" ITP Mud Lite XTR on my grizz... and my dad runs them too... and all of our other riding friends.They ride excellent, great in mud, and awesome on snow and ice. No troubles with turning them at all and they wear very nicely. Another tire I've seen work very well is 'Swaplite''s by Interco... don't think they are radial though.

atvottawa

Reaction score
I have been definately considering the XTR's, a good buddy with the same bike has terracrosses, would be hard to get the same tire and be on the same bike....

TGS

Reaction score
You were also wondering about the Bighorn's? A friend had them on for 2 rides and sold them for next to nothing. Good on rocks but terrible in mud.

atvottawa

Reaction score
You were also wondering about the Bighorn's? A friend had them on for 2 rides and sold them for next to nothing. Good on rocks but terrible in mud.

Good to know, thx. I kind of thought that the horns would not be quite what I would need here in Ottawa. I think its gonna be the XTR's

now to decide between 12" and 14" and 26 or 27, ahh the dilema never ends....

atvottawa

Reaction score
Soon gonna have to decide what tires and rims :) Nothing like a decent tax return ;)

14" 26 or 27"
grims
reptiles
terras
xtr's
spartacus

Also need tie rods, front diff seals, belt, spring, clutch tool, a-arm bushings....

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 27" XTRs on 14" rims, they've been pretty good. They trail nice and chew through mud exelent.

menmysportsmn

Reaction score
id go with 12 inch rims 27 inch tires. thats my set up sept with silverbacks. i dont think you would like backs though. but 27 inch will be lighter and closer to stock and 12 inch rims are better you will get more bite and have a better ride with more rubber to absorb hard blows.

atvottawa

Reaction score
id go with 12 inch rims 27 inch tires. thats my set up sept with silverbacks. i dont think you would like backs though. but 27 inch will be lighter and closer to stock and 12 inch rims are better you will get more bite and have a better ride with more rubber to absorb hard blows.

27 closer to stock? I have 25's right now. Do you mean 27 on 12's closer to stock than 26 on 14's?

I still like them XTRs, but I know no one here has reptiles or grims reapers...

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iv got maxxis zillas on my 850 sportsman. i know they're not a radial but iv got 3000kms on mine and still have 75% left on the rears. im gonna swap them around , as i have the same size all the way around. should get 8000kms out of them. all my friends are switching to them and love them.

dony409

Reaction score
haha not to ruin your fun but radials were only truly intrduced to help in the utv market quadders did just fine without them and saved money and i would like to suggest just mud lites my dad runs 27'' lites on his 500 rubicon just fine

Top Bottom