Tire chains for deep snow????

revy rocks

Reaction score
How well does an ATV go in deep snow with a set of good chains on all four corners. I will be putting them on an Polaris 800 and using them in sometimes, deep heavy wet snow this fall. We now drive a Ford ranger chained up in hunting season but would like to try the quad. Anyone have CV joint problems?

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as its not to deep or you will have the clearance problem and if you drop into the real deep stuff remember the shovel

Scottishpride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heh ya not much a person can do about high centering on hardpack surfaces.

god i hate that! i spent a few hours last year in the winter in wet snow stuck. when we where finally done we had three guys working it and a hole 10 feet long and 5-6 feet wide! 2 shovels a long stick. it was pure hell!!!!!:d:eek:

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be better off just going with a good set of aggresive tires. Went ridding one spring with a guy who put them on. We spent more time pulling him out and up hills, that we ended up cutting the day short because he could not make it anywhere

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may try studs like they use on dirt bikes for ice racing, would give traction on ice. may help? all you can do is give it a try. May lose a few studs if tires are spinning a lot. Tire chains will definitely dig down threw the snow getting you high centered and lots of stuck.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be carefull with chains,If you get aggresive you can break axels!
catmando!

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How deep snow are we talking about? Just hoping it'll be ok doesn't work. Tried the chain thing, didn't work. Bought tracks, problem solved.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get out the check book and dig real deep as expensive is the word. Tracks sure are expensive, seen a few out there, also seen a few for sale, not sure how they work, but for the expense, might just go without them.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the big diff. is "trying to go" vs "going". Expensive? Depends where you get them. I paid $3676.00 all taxes incl.:d

Buying from a Canadian Dealer is going to add $1,000/1,200.oo more:realmad:. I got my Canadian made E-Tatou tracks in Spokane Wa. and save more than a Grand$$$$.

Atv tracks for mud snow or sand. We carry XGEN, TJD tracks, E-tatou tracks, Commanders, Giants, and Traxions.

If you want to quad in the snow - try tracks;). If you like diggin',:rant: tires and chains are the way to go. I've done both and I threw the shovel away.

One other thing, Tracks are 35-55% slower than tires, depending on which quad you ride.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATV + Deep Snow (anything over a foot deep) = Tracks ........ or buy a sled ... :Snowmobile1:

So it comes down to what Mongrol wrote ... have fun ... :common001: work your ass off when ya get stuck :crying3: ... or stay home ... :sadbanana:

Well, that's my :twocents: worth anyway ..... :smilieicon_ford:

Later ...

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Digging your quad out of snow is NOT fun. As mentioned above, aggressive tires work well in hard pack snow, but not deep.

Personally, if I plan to be out that much in the snow....I'll be on a sled.

Holdeem

Reaction score
Get tracks, the only way to go. Couple of my friends have them and I've just ordered a set. If you can afford a quad you can a set of tracks which will let you go anywhere. They break trail for the sleds in tight spots.

Top Bottom