Tire blow out damage

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So coming home from whitecourt on sunday, I felt a small and unusual vibration. Caught a glimse of some rubber out the side mirror and thought " not again!". Pulled over and foind the tread of the tire separated like a retread. Caught it before it blew oit completly but not before the treads shredded all the wires under the slide to power the lights.
Took it to a dealer for a damage estimate, camebout to about 750. They dont make the big spring system anymore to retract the wires as the slides move. Its now a big plastic band that flexes. I did some research and they seem to break on a regular basis too.
Looks like im going to fab my own wire support system and wire it up. Ill post shots as I progress....

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That's not good at all, a guy at work had that happen to him on his 3/4 ton, he is deaf so he never heard anything, happened on a windy day just thought the wind was blowing the truck a little more, well the tire popped, separated and now the rear panel of the box, between the bumper and the fender is smashed up above the body line of his truck. I think he would have liked your $750 repair. Glad you never lost control of the unit while driving though.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fellow that did my estimate told me about anther wreck exactly like my trailer where the tire blew out on the passenger side and took out the furnace, fridge and the storage compartment under the lower bunk. $10000 in damage.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to anybog rig shop. they have the coiled line for power, and also have sprigs for holding tight

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of my new wire support. All aluminum with stainless steel hinges and plated bolts. Works just like a lateral arm awning..
uploadfromtaptalk1409505850510.jpg
Now I just have to re wire the lights and re loom the works and sjes good for the fall camping season

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here she is all wired up. Still have to get the loom for the wires on the bracket.
uploadfromtaptalk1409540686063.jpg
All in it was about $60 bucks in materials. Saved almost $700 from the dealers quote.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I had a cheapie tire blow out on my trailer and destroy the fender well. No change in the trailer handling per se, but what caught my eye were a couple frying pans bouncing and dishes bouncing down the hiway. The fender well was the bottom part of our cupboard where the frying pans belonged.
I had to rebuild the fender well with about $20 worth material and using a homemade tin brake(?).
Now I replace the tires every two years and never will buy WestLake trailer tires. They are crap.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only run maxxis radials on my trailer, had good luck so far. Check condition and pressure fairly regularly too.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
have goodyear marathons on the new to us trailer, and have read and heard nothing but good things about them, will be replacing them with the same tires next year.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Had the factory goodyear marathons on our 2002 27' travel trailer, and about 9 years ago blew one on the hiway out by sicamous.... Only felt a slight vibration and i thought it was a u-joint on the new truck... Pulled over to inspect, and found one of the trailer tires blew.... Shredded and tore through the trailer floor and made a hole in the wood and also damaged a metal brace and shattered the wheel skirt.... $50.00 in parts and repaired quite easily once we got home, but a pain in the butt.... Usng maxxiss 10ply tires now(load range "e") and no problems since

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing my research and found a set of gladiator 10 plys in town. Ive searched tons of reviews and cant find a bad thing about them. For the price I think thats the direction im going

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had anybody ever noticed that actual trailer tires come with 1/2 the tread of a standard truck tire? My boss pointed this out the other day. He has been running standard truck tires on his units for years with much better results then running trailer tires. Only real benefit to running a 10ply is puncture resistance on those back road. But then think about it ho many of us are running 10ply on our rigs? Im wishing i would not went with 10ply on my ATV trailer way to stiff of a tire. would have been better to go buy a lt truck tire for the amount of weight it ever sees

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ST tires are more flexible than truck tires. You need the flwx when taking corners. Just watch how much they bend its actually pretty neat. I have I back into my driveway at the end of a cul de sac and watching those rascals work its no wonder that it failed in the way it did.

Top Bottom