Tips & Tricks for buying used vehicle at a dealership

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Hey boys and girls. After a loooong hiatus from this, I'm likely going to be buying a used vehicle from a dealership in the next short time period. I'm wondering what tips you all could give me for getting the absolute lowest price from these sales people? Any and all little tricks you could give me for wheeling and dealing are MUCH appreciated.

In case it matters, this will be a cash deal in the 27 - 30K neighbourhood.

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think sometimes, with any vehicle, buying at the end of the month when they're trying to make quotas doesn't hurt. Then of course, always check the book value of the vehicle, and car fax. Advice from the states. I actually haven't bought a used vehicle for a long time. Son and DIL just bought a slightly used Dodge. They should have bought new, IMO.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always ask for the price up front, lots of dealers will up the price if they think you can afford it. I personally stay away from dealers without the price in the window. And just like a women, don't take home the first one you see.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned above price up front.
They don't like cash deals.
They make more on finance as they get money from finance company as quota amount financed a month.

Get an inspection.

Walk out a few times and the price will drop.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Like mentioned above price up front.
They make more on finance as they get money from finance company as quota amount financed a month.

Get an inspection.

What about telling them it's gonna be financed until the deal is made, an THEN telling them I'm gonna pay cash?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
like mentioned above price up front.

Get an inspection.

yup, get there best price and tell them it still seems high, and tell them you'll think about it overnight and that you'll call them first thing in the morning.... But don't.... Let them sweat it out, and gauranteed, they'll call you no later than noon, following up on what you've decided... And probably improved on their price ;)

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I literally have no experience in this (- I'm a kept woman haha) but here's what I'd say, being in the business of selling vehicles

* know what you're looking to buy, doesn't need to be exact but a few preferred models and year ranges helps
* familiarize yourself with potential problems of the desired vehicles, most vehicles have little niggles - find out what they are so you can check or ask about them
* know a fair price range, find out blackbook price, see what comparables are selling for on kijiji, autotrader etc.
* also, realize that you may pay more buying through a dealership (including the tax) - they need to make money to pay the bills - this is something often overlooked

FWIW, if the interest rates stay low, I might look at financing and using the bank's money. If you got an opened ended loan (meaning no early payout penalty), through your bank or the dealership that might be the way to go and keep the money in your bank account for now.

woof that was a novel - sorry

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck I sent my saleman a couple adds of identically specd trucks from kiijji in alberta, they were priced 4-7k less. I sent him these adds while I was in camp and sure enough got a phone call my first day back on t/a, made a deal the next day and they dropped 10k. This was on a used 13 fx4

I can't find the AB dealer on kiiji anymore, maybe the dealership went bellyup with such low prices? But I can do some digging for an email or phone # if you'd like

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look around, hit all the dealers close to you, and internet the rest.
A friend of mine got a quote from spruce grove dodge on a new loaded up 1/2 ton, played the wait game with them to bring price down, didnt move much, bought the same truck 2hrs away for 10g less.

Note: "Contents of this forum have been read by the CIA, FBI, IRS, BATF, DHS, NSA, TSA, EPA, BLM, MSNBC, CrTC, FEDS, ADMINS &MODS. There is absolutely NO expectation of privacy."

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I start here, whether I'm buying used from dealer or private.

Canadian Used Car Values

When I use this, they're already priced 1K below the retail.

I was kinda hoping to pay 2500 - 3000 less than their asking price. Tax IN! Is it unreasonable to want/expect 10-15% off their asking price?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I use this, they're already priced 1K below the retail.

I was kinda hoping to pay 2500 - 3000 less than their asking price. Tax IN! Is it unreasonable to want/expect 10-15% off their asking price?
Nope I think that is reasonable on a used vehicle.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard used trucks are tough to deal on due to the US buying with their strong dollar

Note: "Contents of this forum have been read by the CIA, FBI, IRS, BATF, DHS, NSA, TSA, EPA, BLM, MSNBC, CrTC, FEDS, ADMINS &MODS. There is absolutely NO expectation of privacy."

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard used trucks are tough to deal on due to the US buying with their strong dollar

I bought one last January and negotiated the guy down a bit. When he told his boss he threatened to fire him as he was already selling it for less than he could get exporting it. Only reason it was still on the lot was because I had a deposit down on it.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Our 2011 (50,000km) 4runner was listed at $37,900 + + + so $41,500-ish we ended up at $37,300 out the door.... pretty much comparable to private kijiji sellers

It has the 84 month 200,000 km warranty THAT was the main selling feature for us. If they won't move much on price go after the extras....

Top Bottom