Tips for building a skimmer

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have 4 homeschooled kids who would like to build a skimmer. We have one we purchased from Canadian tire for around 500.00. Works well for us. Do you guys have tips on design, suggested materials, and pitfalls to avoid when building a skimmer. My husband works at a mill, so we have access to wood. The kids have collected cross country skis, and thats about as far as we have gotten. This skimmer would be for stuff, (toboggans, snow boards etc) not kids.
thanks!
p.s. kids really enjoy this site. Lots of information. Thanks!

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well apparently we have 4 homeschooled kids too ...what do you think about that LOL

do you actualy want to pull behind a sled or otherwise ??

years ago we used culvurts straightened out ...new ones from crappy tire are the best really ...even used dogsleds...whateverplayform you do decide to use i can tell you that teflon 3 inch or 4 inch strip runners are where its at ...they track straight ..hold on side hills and are super fast ..good luck

if you have that kind of access to some good wood I would do what the Eskimoes do and slap the teflon under the runners then build sides of canvas and cable wire

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
If you can't find teflon get your hands on the old sliders off a sled they are super tough and slippery. I'm sure on a board like this someone is changing out a set.:)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hubby was wondering if you are talking metal culverts or plastic ones? Awesome ideas! Even if it never pulls anything, the kid learn geometry and other math, and have to get along for at least one hour which is good for me!
Thank you!

Top Bottom