Tipping

Big kid 33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do not mind giving a tip but some places in calgary have so bad of service that sometimes i just leave 2 pennies or give a tip to the hostess for the cook

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
servers are required to declare a specific percentage of their wage to Revenue Canada, so it doesn't matter if it's cash or credit/debit. I'd rather see the good server get cash than chance them not getting it.

IMHO: tips are a reward for someone going beyond to give you top notch service.

Any server who does the minimum: takes your order, brings your order and brings you the bill has just done their job... nothing more. The restaurant/bar already pays them a wage for this, why should they get more for doing the basics of their job?

Most servers expect a tip (according to family who are managers in the service industry), but when I ask if I can expect 15-20% off the bill if I get bad service, the conversation usually ends. Funny how this street only goes one way.

scorpio

Reaction score
Doing it via debit/credit card would make the money considered income, therefore taxable by the government would it not?

Its a tip, not a payment.

The bill before GST is revenue. GST goes into a separate account for remitting to the government. The tip amount would go into another account to be split with all employees or allocated to the waiter or waitress whos name is on the receipt.

Also, for all service workers the government knows they receive tips and if nothing is declared on your income tax return you may be audited.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've discovered that tipping on debit or credit card don't always make it to the servers. Some managers/owners "forget" to pass it on to their staff. I try to tip in cash now so the servers get what they've earned...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is illegal for any manager/supervisor to receive tips. It is also illegal for a business to hold an employee responsible for any thefts.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is illegal for any manager/supervisor to receive tips. It is also illegal for a business to hold an employee responsible for any thefts.

Tell that to my neice that got fired because a group of customers walked out without paying their tab......(or rather because she reminded the boss that it is technically illegal to make them put money in a kitty to pay for walk-outs)

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've discovered that tipping on debit or credit card don't always make it to the servers. Some managers/owners "forget" to pass it on to their staff. I try to tip in cash now so the servers get what they've earned...
i work in a restraunt in blue river, and when you tip with debit or a credit, the waitress 's keep the receipt for the meal and shows tip amount, and at the end of the night they put them in the till and take the money out that the tip is ( or this is how they do it here) and they got the tips, and then the kitchen staff gets like 2% of how much money the server brings in over the course of her /his shift, and that 2% of the restraunt earnings comes out of the servers tips. thats how the tip system works in our restraunt anyway

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay based on service. If my drink remains full (without me asking) and the food comes out on time, and nice and warm, I will leave a good tip. It goes up from there based on some things, like how nice the server was, and I hate to say it, but good looking girls always do better. I'm a sucker, I know.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah this is bs. i was in a restraunt the other day and the server was trying to tell me how 20% is pretty standard now...lol ooooooooooooooook. good luck with that.

the way i see it. if i get excellent service and food i will give what i feel is the right amount whether it be 5-20%. maybe nothing who knows.

the other thing i love now is when you buy fast food and the tip option is on the keypad!

give me a break.

i see that tip thing at subway now

Top Bottom