Time for a fix kit

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
I've got a 2010 800 rmk, checked the compression last night out of curiosity and fear for the grenade I ride. I had 100 psi on both and I figure I may aswell put some money and work into it since I'll be on it for a few more years. Now my main concern is which kit, I've done lots of reading and have no first hand experience with either the Rk Tek drop in kit or the PMS kit, are both the kits equally as good? Is the Price difference worth any real world results? I only have a mbrp can and a timbersled intake. Just not sure if the price difference is worth it with the Rk tek and the acclaimed hp increase. Which would be my best option?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think people have had good luck with the pms kit and the rk tek, depends on how much you want to spend. for the price difference are you going to notice the power? doubtful.

the durability kit sounds good, same as the pms but has the same piston manufacture as the rk tek, wossner or something?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I ran the PMS fix kit in my dragon and it ran great. If i were to do it again i would try the bikeman durability kit. I think the Wossner piston is better than the Wiesco. Depends on your budget of course, but im running the RK Tek kit in my pro with the 13.1 head. Its a bit more money but will have some more hp. Like sledneck said, the difference in hp is minimal, so if the the budget isnt there jsut go with either the PMS kit or Bikeman kit. Both have a taller, lighter pistons and a spacer under the cylinder.

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna go with the bump durability kit! I'll make a post when I've got it installed how it's working. Should I be getting the cylinders honed before putting the new pistons in? Or is it not a big deal

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
I took the motor apart this morning, the mag side was worse then the pto side and the cyclinders are fine just really glazed. Isn't a huge deal if some coolant gets in the bottom end while taking the top end off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 239

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those don't look too health, almost looks like lack of lubrication

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
The exhaust side of the piston didn't have any of this wear on it it was just on the intake side of both pistons.

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
Should I be getting some pink springs for the exhaust valves? I read in a few threads in regards to the pms fix kit that the softer springs helped out too

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talk to Crisco I got the fix kit,pink springs,pcv,coolant bypass,and it runs great! those pistons r typical, motor has too short of a stroke they wipe the oil off the cylinder . I also put a little oil in the tank like 100:1

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
Inspect your cylinder skirts carefully for cracks while you have it apart. If your haven't already I'd turn up your oiler a couple turns as well.

DragonRMK800

Reaction score
I haven't inspected the cylinders to much yet got busy with work, and haven't ordered the bikeman kit yet but the site now says yet are out if stock! Does anybody in canada carry that kit ?

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of a Artic Cat fix kit for these 800's? I have a riding buddy that just had his motor crap out on him and the sled shop is telling him That Arctic Cat makes the best fix kit for this. Sounded a little hinky to me so I figured I would through it out on here and find out what other people have heard. Good, Bad, or run like hell from this idea?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MTNTK piston kit is the one to use 650.00 and do the exhaust valve springs as well 17.00 each . We have sold over 200 of these kits and are great for this engine and the pros.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of a Artic Cat fix kit for these 800's? I have a riding buddy that just had his motor crap out on him and the sled shop is telling him That Arctic Cat makes the best fix kit for this. Sounded a little hinky to me so I figured I would through it out on here and find out what other people have heard. Good, Bad, or run like hell from this idea?

DO NOT USE THAT KIT IT IS ****!!!!!!! There is a reason MTNTK did not use that cat piston. RUN LIKE HELL If your going to do it do the mountain tech kit. The kit the sled shop is selling is a copy of the MTNTK kit with cat pistons that he has no testing or R&D on. There are many FAKE kits out there but the founder of the kit is MTNTK.

Hammer800

Reaction score
I've got about 900 miles on my 2010 and have been considering installing the mtn tek kit. I am stock except for an slp can. I have the 2010 flash and have never had any issues. Can I stick with the same flash or should I be getting it reflashed to another map once I install the kit.

Top Bottom