TimberSled rear skid issues???

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with their Mtn Tamer bottoming out? I have been having problems with it since the install last season. We have tried different pressures in the Floats, different locations for the mounting holes on the rear H arm, but still no fix. Now I see that the top shaft is bent on the idlers!!!:mad:
WTF??? All the measurements have been checked by 2 different shops to make sure all is good. Have extra spacers in where it couples & still bottoms out. I guess I should have spent the extra cash on the Racer's Edge kit!!!

RN

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to get an update kit from Mtn Tamer with new shock lower shafts, straps and a few other bits. $150US + frgt. that will stop your bottoming and make it up to 30% stiffer. Also ask them about an updated rear arm, they will give you a deal if you bought a skid last year, it has a lot bigger upper shaft. Just did a bunch and I haven't had a chance to ride yet but Sledslut and Tav were going out this weekend.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That update kit works WICKED!!! tryed it out today and well hammered down a whopped out trail for 5 km and no bottoming, only a little on the front shock inthe skid.. and well works so good for keeping the skis down.

BTW SLY sled worked good. i need to call u tomorrow about it anyways

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't gotten the 2010 upgrade yet but the only time I ever bottomed mine out was when I was carrying a passenger. But I also run an Apex not a Nytro so that might have something to do with it. And yes I ride just as hard as the next guy down the whooped out trails and through the trees.
:confused:Not sure what to tell ya Raspberry. Maybe to much of that good camp food?? lol jk;)

evan3000

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine, and spoke to Timbersled last year, they kind of kind of disappointed me with the lack of interest to take responsibility for the screw up, and I know I wasn't the only one who complained!! And now they have an update kit that you have to pay for, that's cute:nono: I will personally never consider using there products on my sleds.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be par for the industry. Last year Timbersled sent me some new arms at N/C. But we had to pay for the newest updates, still one of the better values out there imo

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't gotten the 2010 upgrade yet but the only time I ever bottomed mine out was when I was carrying a passenger. But I also run an Apex not a Nytro so that might have something to do with it. And yes I ride just as hard as the next guy down the whooped out trails and through the trees.
:confused:Not sure what to tell ya Raspberry. Maybe to much of that good camp food?? lol jk;)

LOL........not much good camp food in the Middle East my friend!!! :eek: Lots of Goat & Camel steaks.:d

RN

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you wanna see what the update looks like i can show u on mine. Sly just did it last week.. I loved it yesterday in the mnts!!

tapex

Reaction score
Haven't tried the update yet, have it in my sled and am sure it will help. There is also an optional rear shock for the skid w/ comp & rebound adjustment (still waiting for it). I think that will make the biggest difference. I know replacing floats w/ float x's on the front were night and day.

SNAFU

Reaction score
My suspension was bottoming out on the front shock and I called Timbersled with the intention of buying the update kit, but they talked me out of it. They told me, that I would also have to get the shocks revalved due to moving the bottom mount location. Instead, they suggested that I increase the nitrogen pressure in the shocks. The original pressure was about 150 psi, and they suggested increasing it to 300 psi which I did. I haven't tried it yet.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 psi in the front skid shock sounds a little off to me. I would call them back and verify that. The shocks are 150 psi shocks, I could see maybe going up a little, but 300?? Even before the update I only ran about 100-110 in the front. With the update we are starting them much lower :confused:

SNAFU

Reaction score
Sorry, if I was not clear. The float shocks dampening is done with shock oil and a nitrogen chamber just like a normal gas shock. The nitrogen comes precharged from the factory and was about 150 psi in my shocks. The air part of the Fox Float is what provides the spring force of a normal shock. It is the nitrogen pressure that I changed to 300 psi in both the front and rear skid shocks. There is a plug at the end of the shock opposite to the air end. You need to use a nitrogen needle and insert it through the fitting to change the pressure.

I am running about 90 psi of air in the front shock and 120 psi in the back.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a little confusing as the damping is changed by adjusting the shim stacks, not by nitrogen pressure. You always lose pressure when checking nitrogen charges so it is not really something that is normally checked. I will ask the guys at Timbersled about that the next time I talk to them. I have nitrogen equipment here so if the shocks need higher charges I will do them, thanks for the heads up

rotax

Reaction score
FWIW, I'm running ~75 (I think) on the front, and 150 on the rear.

I may increase the front PSI a bit further to help with bottoming..but concerned about trenching in the deep.. Maybe, tighten up the limiter a notch while I'm at it..

Zedeff

Reaction score
Bought the Timbersled rear skid in fall of 07 and the rear arm bent at the top where the shock is attached. Got the updated one for 08 and it bent too. Gave up and took it off. I'm done with Timbersled and bought a FAB CAFT rear skid. :rant:

Last edited:

easycat 1000

Reaction score
Serious problem with my rear skid. Bent my tunnel and then snaped my brackets for my top idler shaft. Running all the numbers they told me. Not happy if I have to pay for an upgrade.

Top Bottom