Tillotsen tuning ?

bigneily

Reaction score
Can anyone school me on tillotsen carbs? I've been trying to get this old elan working for the kids to peel around on with no luck. Not sure what model it is ? but it has ahigh and low screw in the side of the body, I had it going and it would get a bad bog and seem to be barfing out alot of excess fuel from the carb throat. So would this mean not enough air? and maybe back the high or low screw out? to increase air? Sometimes i could limp it around with the choke almost fully closed. Open to suggestions fellas Thanx

bigneily

Reaction score
Thanx for the link, Funny thing is i just finished reading that page a few minutes ago and went to set the high low screws as read in the post it would run but as soon as i stabbed it the bog was bad to the point that it would die and i would feather the choke to keep it running, Leading me to think that it is not getting enough fuel and starving itself to death. Ever hear of anyone putting on a mikuni ?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the link, Funny thing is i just finished reading that page a few minutes ago and went to set the high low screws as read in the post it would run but as soon as i stabbed it the bog was bad to the point that it would die and i would feather the choke to keep it running, Leading me to think that it is not getting enough fuel and starving itself to death. Ever hear of anyone putting on a mikuni ?
a buddy of mine is rebuilding a '76. He replaced the Tilllotson with a mikuni. Those Tillotsons are apparently just a big PITA. I think the later ones came with mikuni carbs.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a metering needle in the carb that controls the fuel flow and it sounds like its not sealing correctly or the metering needle lever is set incorrect. take the bottom of the carb apart and have a look, make sure all the diaphrams are installed in the correct orientation and the needle is clean and moves freely.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your self a favor and just buy a mikuni and a fuel pump. Only time the tillotsen's ever work decent in my experience is under -20.above that and the diaphram vapor locks all the time. I have a 71 elan with a 320 single in it. 30mm mikuni was the only way to make it run consistent.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Titan

Reaction score
Do your self a favor and just buy a mikuni and a fuel pump. Only time the tillotsen's ever work decent in my experience is under -20.above that and the diaphram vapor locks all the time. I have a 71 elan with a 320 single in it. 30mm mikuni was the only way to make it run consistent.

X2 on this

bigneily

Reaction score
What kind of a donour sled would have a 30mm mikuni ?

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of a donour sled would have a 30mm mikuni ?

I'm pretty sure I got mine off a dual carb 377 citation ss. Been a while though.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I got mine off a dual carb 377 citation ss. Been a while though.

I believe those are 34mm. We have several running 28's and 32's. I just picked up another 34mm and am going to try it as well as they are way more popular. Sounds like the check valves on your tiltson are not pulsating to me and your pouring fuel to it and not actual regulating it when pulling a vaccum. Have you installed a complete and correct model rebuild kit in it. Just cleaning it is not enough.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe those are 34mm. We have several running 28's and 32's. I just picked up another 34mm and am going to try it as well as they are way more popular. Sounds like the check valves on your tiltson are not pulsating to me and your pouring fuel to it and not actual regulating it when pulling a vaccum. Have you installed a complete and correct model rebuild kit in it. Just cleaning it is not enough.

I'm sure you are correct. It probably is a 34 on there.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recreational supplies used to sell converion kits so you could toss the tillison in the bush , that was a quite a while back

lshobie

Reaction score
Tillotsons are great carbs if you rebuild them correctly and with genuine or very good aftermarket parts. Tilltoson still makes rebuild parts, they also make a new carb that i'll be testing for them on my elans in the next couple of weeks.

Also, check my rebuild video for a detailed rebuild process:

Vintage sled Tutorials #5 Rebuilding a Tillotson carburetor. - YouTube

Here's my first start of the year - havent rebuilt the carb in 3 years:

Starting the old elan after sitting in the field. PowerModz! - YouTube

Have fun!

bigneily

Reaction score
great videos ishobie i really like the 540 elan build on your power mods site, I had a local shop put in a carb kit a couple years ago and thought i had it running not bad but ended up breaking the steering column and the old elan got thrown to the wayside until yesterday when i welded up the column. Should i pick up another carb kit at cambodian tire or should the old one be ok with careful disassembly? And where about is the mark or stamp showing what model of carb it is , I remember reading something about there being something like 3 models ? thanx for the replies men. Neil

Top Bottom