Thundercat Starter Issues

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 Thundercat quad that the starter won't engage.I installed a new battery on it and now all I get is clicking on the solenoid when you hit the stater button.I can't feel anything on the starter when you hit the button.Would it be a starter issue or solenoid?Is it possible that the starter is still engaged from the first dead battery?Any help would be great!:confused:

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
grab a test lite, and chek to see if the starter is getting power from the switch. Find Starter power wire(usually directly on top,side or back of starter) hold test lite to this power wire, if Test lite lights, starter ius pooched, if not, check starter relay/solenoid. there should b power going in from battery, when u hit the button, should b power goin out to starter. use test lite again. Is there a starter fuse on this cat??

Snorked N' Torked 1000

Reaction score
if the starter is pooched sometimes you can still start the engind by hitting the starter a few times with a wrench to bounce the brushes into place to make contact. this wil be a temporary fix so you can move the machine. if this does work your starter is forsure pooched.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's three diodes in the fuse box have you removed any of them?
The arrows on them have to line up with the arrows on the case

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a wrench to the starter.

Occasionally it happens to my brute to. Last time I had to use the handle off a tie down right before the first red deer suds and buds.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues this fall with my t-cat, it's an '09 but the same quad. My battery would just go soft and it would crank over weakly. I charged my battery a few times on low amps and it seemed to fix the problem so far??? I was advised by a member on this site that it maybe a poor connection at the starter?? Check that first I guess. Good luck!

Top Bottom