throttle response question?

mikey11

Reaction score
What is the best or one of the best ways to improve throttle response?
I have a honda 420 with fuel injection, just wondering if i should spend the money on
a fuel optimizer and pipe, and maybe a K&N filter......

Thanks in advance

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the best or one of the best ways to improve throttle response?I have a honda 420 with fuel injection, just wondering if i should spend the money on a fuel optimizer and pipe, and maybe a K&N filter......Thanks in advance
I wouldn't go and spend that much money looking for performance on the little 420 you could upgrade to a machine with a bigger motor for near the same $$$ The gains won't be worth the money spent

mikey11

Reaction score
I disagree, I'm not looking for more power, I can keep up to any of the big bore machines, especially on the trails, I just want
a little more responsive throttle.....
Everyone I ride with all have big bore machines, and a few 500 s so far my "little" 420 always comes out first.
but to each their own

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree, I'm not looking for more power, I can keep up to any of the big bore machines, especially on the trails, I just want
a little more responsive throttle.....
Everyone I ride with all have big bore machines, and a few 500 s so far my "little" 420 always comes out first.
but to each their own

I agree with you, too much go big or go home attitude sometimes with some people. Not saying thats the case with drew, but you deffinetly see it alot.

Some friends of mine have the 420 and its a great quad. I was surprised by it. You want more throttle response, but I found the 420 to be great off the line for the type of quad it is. Is there possibly an issue with your quad? Is it sluggish?

The only item they changed was the exhaust (either an FMF, or HMF can't recall) and it woke up the motor quite a bit although it is not steathy quiet now and put a UNI filter in it. Supposedly it flows better. Who knows really. I am not familar with any programmers although I am sure they are out there.

Biggest thing to remember, the quad was designed for reliability. It is perfomance minded, Honda built their reputation on the platform you are riding. It is a work horse. It isn't geared to stand up on two wheels when you walk onto the throttle.

If thats what you are looking for, then yes, you most likely will have to invest some dollars into it. There is a honda atv forum around, check on there for performance parts.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any fuel injected motor today, be it truck, quad or dirt bike....can have better throttle response by letting them breath, but by changing the air filter and exhaust and not tuning it with some type of programmer....now that is a waste of money and can actually harm the motor has the internal programming cant adjust and add more fuel. So do all three or leave it stock.....

It has been the same with carbureted motors, add air and exhaust and don't re-jet and see how it runs....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any fuel injected motor today, be it truck, quad or dirt bike....can have better throttle response by letting them breath, but by changing the air filter and exhaust and not tuning it with some type of programmer....now that is a waste of money and can actually harm the motor has the internal programming cant adjust and add more fuel. So do all three or leave it stock.....

It has been the same with carbureted motors, add air and exhaust and don't re-jet and see how it runs....

I am not trying to argue with you, but the stock onboard computer will/should adjust to the increase air will it not? It may not gain the full effects of an aftermarket programmer with improved curves, but on an injected motor it already senses those items. That is why they work so well at all elevations and temperatures, unlike carbureted motors.

I am sure you have more experience with this than I, but I just wanted to ask anyhow.

mikey11

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
No the machine isnt sluggish, i was just thinking about dumping a couple hundred bucks into one of my toys, and thought it would be fun to be able to wheely my honda..........

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to argue with you, but the stock onboard computer will/should adjust to the increase air will it not? It may not gain the full effects of an aftermarket programmer with improved curves, but on an injected motor it already senses those items. That is why they work so well at all elevations and temperatures, unlike carbureted motors.

I am sure you have more experience with this than I, but I just wanted to ask anyhow.

No it won't adjust fuel since it's a programmed fuel injection system. They take reading on start up/and run to measure altitude, and temp and adjust that way, but they can't read air/fuel and compensate without an o2 sensor, and that would become very costly to produce. Especially since it's not needed.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it won't adjust fuel since it's a programmed fuel injection system. They take reading on start up/and run to measure altitude, and temp and adjust that way, but they can't read air/fuel and compensate without an o2 sensor, and that would become very costly to produce. Especially since it's not needed.

Actually...the stock system will adjust for altitude and temp as most do have an O2 sensor in them, where they fall short is the parameters of their programing are set to handle adjustments given the stock air intake and exhaust out put. So when you change the air filter to allow more air to get in and open the exhaust to allow it to breath, the stock programming can not adjust that much to compensate for the changes the fuel systems needs .....you need an aftermarket programmer to give you that ability...

The simple equation More air + open exhaust + more fuel = more HP

Another anomaly with the stock programming is they have to make assumptions ... they are made in the same plant and they don't know if you will be riding at sea level or 5000' above sea level so the programming theory is pick the middle....so even when you have the aftermarket programmer tuned on a dyno and then drastically change one of the input parameters, the motor is not necessarily running at peak performance. This is one of the reasons why when the unit is programmed on a dyno you will notice in some throttle positions they will actually take fuel out....

So along comes a product like DynoJet Power Commander Auto Tune .... this unit continuously reads your inputs and sends the programmer updatded information to make adjustments on the Fly.... it works very well...and it's not new technology, it's been around the car racing circuit for a number of years already, it just new to small engines....

mikey11

Reaction score
Thanks, I think Im gonna start off with a good air filter and then try a different exhaust pipe....
I'll let u all know how it turns out

Top Bottom