throttle body coolant line

Apocalypseknight

Reaction score
hey everyone, im doing the top end on my dragon and i noticed the coolant bypass line that goes to the throttle bodies then to my turbo and dumps into the coolant resivoir. i was considering bypassing the throttle bodies and going straight to the turbo then to coolant resivoir as i dont beleive i would have any risk of freezing on the throttle bodies being boosted. does this make sence? anybody for see any problems doing this? i just dont see any benefit of heating the incoming air charge anymore than needed?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see what it hurts by leaving it hooked up though, its not really going to heat the air up the split second that it is in the throttle bodies. But if your throttle ever sticks wide open form freezing open you're in a world of trouble.

Apocalypseknight

Reaction score
so you dont think the hot coolant will heat the incoming air charge at all? i have never had a problem with injesting snow since putting the turbo on unlike the factory airboxs on na sleds. and i think the incoming air charge is warm anyways from the turbo, i do have an air to air intercooler but dont think it cools the charge to below freezing. also i seen the slp coolant bypass kit which used the port on the mag side of the head and tees into the return line to the resivoir which i belive will moves coolant more evenly across the head before the tstat opens. so i was going to build my own kit and bypass the throttle bodies. im going to give it a try and if my throttle plate did happen to freeze shouldnt the throttle switch kill the sled if the ecm gets a open plate reading from the tps and the throttle swith back to closed? i know my edge did when they froze on me.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i don't think it'll heat the air enough to make any difference, the surface area inside the throttle bodies is so small and the air moves so quick through it i doubt you'd raise it's temperature by even a single degree, it would however melt any ice off of it that may form. Yes the throttle safety switch should kill the sled in the event of the throttle stuck wide open, but who ever checks them? Obviously it would be a very slim chance of happening but the possibility is there. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, my point is if your doing it solely to reduce intake temps then your not going to realize a noticable gain, Putting in an air to water intercooler cooled by a seperate cooler in the tunnel would yield far more results in that aspect.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW, MTNTK turbo kits bypass the coolant around the TB's.

Top Bottom