Three 850s go out together ...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Bad clutch design, poor engine mounts , bad alignment....All lead to heat and heat will take belts out PERIOD. If your seeing that your sleds or the sleds you ride with are not taking belts out its because you dont ride them long enough or hard enough to over heat the belt. Hold your sled to the pin for 30kms and see if your belt blows. Trust me I have been around ALOT of sleds.

Where do you ride that you can hold your sled to the pin for 30 seconds? Maxwell rides sleds hard enough trust me I get them back every year after hes done with them.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you ride that you can hold your sled to the pin for 30 seconds? Maxwell rides sleds hard enough trust me I get them back every year after hes done with them.

Out on the coast on the glaciers you could easily drain a tank of gas riding full pin in waist deep snow. This is where BRP needs to do there testing. Lower elevation than colorado so the motors are still putting out good power and heavier snow which results in better track hook up. This puts the most strain on what is in the middle, clutch, belt, chain etc.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out on the coast on the glaciers you could easily drain a tank of gas riding full pin in waist deep snow. This is where BRP needs to do there testing. Lower elevation than colorado so the motors are still putting out good power and heavier snow which results in better track hook up. This puts the most strain on what is in the middle, clutch, belt, chain etc.

I've never burnt more fuel than the pemby ice cap. Almost out of fuel by 11am.

• Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Broken Record

Sounds like a broken record, or worse the guy on the street shouting the end of the world is near.

I would rather hear from the guys on the street shouting the end is near, so i can make up my own mind, than not here from the one guy that knows the end is near because it will save his own a$$.

Last edited:

Daag44

Reaction score

Good point on location testing and power to elevation. Part of this testing needs to be done on a track dyno which I imagine they have done. So it remains to be seen how they keep the belt temps down for those long climbs.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a broken record, or worse the guy on the street shouting the end of the world is near.

The record is not broken the clutch needs fixing...maybe not much either who knows, no one is sayin?
Floated secondary would help but again $ to consumer???
Where is the correct answer?

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the right of he Y at Horsey creek up the chute.
My cousin has me on video for 1min57 seconds to the bar and I turned out in the powder. The 06 Rev could not sustain steady RPM any longer - had another minute to hit the top. Bordering on abuse to that poor 151!

Not a lot of spots around McBride but on deep days you can really get long duration pulls in the two minute range.
Spirit Lake (Presbitarian Mt. out of the pit to the saddle and over the top)and South Dore have a few also. Straight up off Cribou Lake or the pull up of the backside of Dore glacier are both 2000'+ elevation change, distance =???

These are good for showing how well tuned your clutching is when loaded up spinning wide open.

Last edited:

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 seconds WOT.....no problem and then some. 30 KM.....that's about 15 mins of sustained WOT @ 120km/H.....not an easy feat in the mountains....even for the hero riders out there.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 seconds WOT.....no problem and then some. 30 KM.....that's about 15 mins of sustained WOT @ 120km/H.....not an easy feat in the mountains....even for the hero riders out there.

30 minutes was probably not meant as serious time but pembeton is huge.
In 3' deep snow you will get 70kph tack speed on a summit and 40kph forward speed.

30 min would still be a dam long 20km pull.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think its the alignment. ive been around ALOT of snowmobiles and any one that was a belt blower was an alignment issue. always. which explains why some are belt blowers and some arent its very hard to set that alignment perfectly and with the increased power and torque of that motor its just that much more critical. judging by the new engine mounts for 2018 im guessing skidoo is seeing that these machines are not staying within their specified alignment and torque specifications under load
a lot of other people are under this impression as well. Some even say they have had motor mounts broken without knowing it as well. That cannot help!

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OP said hold your sled to the pin for 30 KM.....not sure where everything else went sideways with 30 seconds....30 minutes....don't know any sleds where I could hold them WOT for 30 KM straight. Maybe one of the heroes here, have read some outlandish tales so.... :BSmeter:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
out on the coast on the glaciers you could easily drain a tank of gas riding full pin in waist deep snow. This is where brp needs to do there testing. Lower elevation than colorado so the motors are still putting out good power and heavier snow which results in better track hook up. This puts the most strain on what is in the middle, clutch, belt, chain etc.

30kms wide open throttle? I gotta see that place lol

Daag44

Reaction score

The record is not broken the clutch needs fixing...maybe not much either who knows, no one is sayin?
Floated secondary would help but again $ to consumer???

Where is the correct answer?

You will recognize the right answer from those who have understood how/why the belt temperatures soar. Perhaps by continuously hitting our heads against the wobbly sheave theory someone will come along and help before anyone suffers an injury?

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Daag44 - who sounds like a broken record ? Your talkin the talk for Brp, don't work for Brp, don't have an 850, don't ride in the west......but you seem to think you should be telling the
guys that actually put down the money to buy a "game changer" sled, how to ride and to break out your wallet again and fix Brp,s F$$k up and make sure to let Brp know what you did to fix it
so the 2018 sleds work better.

My 850 has been awesome so far, I have not blown a belt, motor destroyed or broke a module - just perfect. Only problem is I only have just over 100km on mine as I work in the drilling industry and
trying my best to make sure Alberta has more $$ to send down east for a higher equalization payment this year. Maybe Brp can afford to properly calibrate the 18,s.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You will recognize the right answer from those who have understood how/why the belt temperatures soar. Perhaps by continuously hitting our heads against the wobbly sheave theory someone will come along and help before anyone suffers an injury?

My apologies I must have missed the answer, could you be so kind as to repost it or put up the link since you have the answer.
Would be appreciated since silly me missed it and I would like to forward your info to BRP so they can get it in a service bulletin or did I miss that one also.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He said 30kms. My bad

yup, its called Hyperbolize.

Heat destroys belts, no other way to slice it. You can baby a piss poor setup and it will survive. Ride the **** out of a bad setup and it will destroy belts. The 850 has a bad clutch setup from the factory and its quite obvious.

Top Bottom