Thoughts on buying a Suzuki SV650

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking at purchasing a 2003 Suzuki SV650. I've heard a few good things about it, but is there anything i should pay close attention to? I am currently riding a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450, am i wasting my time looking into the SV? I only use my bike for riding around the city and going to work (about 20kms each way).

I am about 6'4, will i find this bike too small?

thanks!

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great bike, but at 6'4" you will likely find it to be to small, the V-Strom 650 would be a better choice. Same motor but a bigger overall bike, JMO.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I think your quite big for it. I kept one in the home inventory for 11 years now as the other bikes come and go. Always puts a smile on my face to ride it with that great little motor. I'm a few inches shorter than you and I consider it a small bike.

Attachments

• IMG_6843.jpg
    IMG_6843.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 101

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your budget? I bought a new 2010 model aprilia shiver in the fall that I will sell for what I have into it less the gst. Comfortable bike but I decided too late that I prefer a different style of bike.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this one I'm looking at is up for trade. Was thinking about letting the sled go for it (2003 Skidoo Summit 800HO).

96sherm

Reaction score
I'm 6'1", test rode one for my wife. It was slightly cramped, but depending on how long you spent riding at a time it wouldn't be too bad. I really liked the motor, it was a torquey little thing, quite a hoot.

Not quite as comfy and zoom-zoom as my Hayabusa, but I wouldn't mind one for a city runabout...

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks 96sherm, I'm not gonna lie i feel pretty cramped on anything i ride. I usually never sit down and ride any longer than 45minutes to an hour. (Ring road around the city). Like i said most of my time will be the 20kms I ride to work.

Coming off the 450 Nighthawk, it will do 110 on the highway with not much trouble. Its a little iffy on the cold mornings getting it started, but runs well other than that. I think the 650 will give me just enough power and fuel injection should be a nice upgrade.

Might go check it out next week.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SV is a nice little bike for sure but you will be pretty damn big on it. Why not look into something like a KTM 500EXC (then add supermoto wheels) or a KTM 690 Duke? Lots of fun to ride and if you are only going to be in the city they would be great.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SV is a nice little bike for sure but you will be pretty damn big on it. Why not look into something like a KTM 500EXC (then add supermoto wheels) or a KTM 690 Duke? Lots of fun to ride and if you are only going to be in the city they would be great.

Honestly, I was checking out this bike because i had a chance to trade it for my sled. The guy has since backed out, we'll see what happens in the spring.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, not much of a market for a 2003 Summit with a new engine in it... I'd be lucky to get back what I spent on the engine.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold my 2000 summit 700 for 2700. The price keeps going down as the new sleds come out.

Top Bottom