thoughts about giovanni 140cc dirtbikes????

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my parents are encouraging me to get a cheap dirtbike since i just sold my old quad and am planning to buy a sled, so anyway my parents want something to keep my occupied when im not working, so i was thinking about getting a 140cc giovanni dirtbike, are they good enough bang for buck? any of yoy guys have one? any input would be appriciated.:)

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how long do you plan to have it,and what kind of riding?a few friends bought the 125's for pit bikes and we broke them withing hours,put together poorly
and cheap parts,invest in an older honda and you'll be fine

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend the thing is they are cheaply made chinese bikes. And you will spend more time fixing it than riding.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my parents are encouraging me to get a cheap dirtbike since i just sold my old quad and am planning to buy a sled, so anyway my parents want something to keep my occupied when im not working, so i was thinking about getting a 140cc giovanni dirtbike, are they good enough bang for buck? any of yoy guys have one? any input would be appriciated.:)

in my opinion anything giovanni is crap. you would be better off buy a older brand name bike. you can get an old 80cc 2 smoker for like $1000 or less, and there not even that old (1994-2000).

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion anything giovanni is crap. you would be better off buy a older brand name bike. you can get an old 80cc 2 smoker for like $1000 or less, and there not even that old (1994-2000).

lol, 80cc might be a little small for a 16 year old. im not into jumping and all that just something to zip up and down dirt roads,

hamwallet

Reaction score
There are TONS of giovanni forums out there. Also the Gio website has it's own costumer feedback which you can read. I've read and it's pretty mixed reviews. Some parts come damaged after delivery or some parts are missing, etc. They are either air cooled or oil cooled, neither of which I'd feel safe riding on a hot summer day. There are also lots of youtube videos of people gio bikes. They look cheap and small, well that's because they are cheap and small. You're going to end up doing oil changes far more often on the Gio's than on a regular bike (not that you shoudn't be changing it after a heavy ride anyways). You'll notice your oil is black as tar, that's because of the metal shavings. These bikes experience a lot of wear and tear. If you think that biking is something you will be getting into, invest in something that will last and you'll be proud to take care of, not some beater. I'd give'm to a kid as a starter bike, but at 16 you're old enough to want to do some crashing.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought three of them so far and my buddy bought four,Here is what I know...............The little ones work pretty good with the odd little repair,I have had one 50 and two one tens,was happy with what we got out of them,Now the other side of the story is my budd,he bought four 150's and they are junk.They are built cheap so the bigger ones have more torque and bigger riders which equal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy a old honda as stated above!
catmando!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought three of them so far and my buddy bought four,Here is what I know...............The little ones work pretty good with the odd little repair,I have had one 50 and two one tens,was happy with what we got out of them,Now the other side of the story is my budd,he bought four 150's and they are junk.They are built cheap so the bigger ones have more torque and bigger riders which equal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy a old honda as stated above!
catmando!

they are hit and miss.....some have bad luck some have no luck...i know its hard to tell a customer we dont want to work on it.....but its not cost effective to spend time trying to fix it...

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An old friend had a 250cc. and it was no where near 250 caliber lol. my old honda 150f kept up with it.lol. junk. we were riding in a sand pit and he laid it ver fairly easy and broke the brake lever! haha then a month later seized it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, 80cc might be a little small for a 16 year old. im not into jumping and all that just something to zip up and down dirt roads,

A 140-150cc gio bike likely has the same hp/torque as a Jap 80-85cc dirt bike.

Put the money towards an older bike that will last longer with potential less wrenching. Don't much experience with the bikes, but had some friends who bought the quads and they couldn't give them away when it came time to upgrade.

Keep an eye out for a 2-stroke KX100, or a 4-stroke CR150f and it will usually be easier to maintain and should it break, easier to get parts for unless you have a gio dealer who stocks parts. Even an older XR100 would be a good bike.

Top Bottom