Thinking about selling my '06 Cummins. Questions

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I I have an '06 2500 cc/lwb Cummins with around 190 k on it. It needs a few things we just can't afford to do right now, so thinking of selling it.

Its a 5.9 six speed Laramie. It was owned by an older gentleman before I got it and there's a stack of receipts for everything he's ever done to it. Really well maintained.

Thing is ut needs a clutch and flywheel, tires, and has what appears to be a power steering leak and a few other little issues.

What at should I ask?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It don't need much money worth of work if you do the work your self. You should be able to turn the flywheel down appose to a new one. 5.9 are well liked engines so I would say around $16000 but most likely less with a bad clutch and tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years ago I know a guy who barely got $16,000 and it was mint 2005, 120,000 km one ton with no problems,your better off to keep it i think.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I I have an '06 2500 cc/lwb Cummins with around 190 k on it. It needs a few things we just can't afford to do right now, so thinking of selling it.

Its a 5.9 six speed Laramie. It was owned by an older gentleman before I got it and there's a stack of receipts for everything he's ever done to it. Really well maintained.

Thing is ut needs a clutch and flywheel, tires, and has what appears to be a power steering leak and a few other little issues.

What at should I ask?

Make sure you have a solid plan on your needs and what you plan on replacing it with, for the money you are going to get out of it what can you replace it with? You have one of the most desired setups for sure but nothing lasts forever... I priced out a new 2017 super duty $75k for the new body style, looks like i will put a little more work into the 2012. Good luck.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't let the A-holes bug you with their offers (they are only kidding) but Sirkdev is right. Replacing one of those is expensive. You will probably only get in the 12 to 14,000 range without the work being done. 16 tops if it is. Good luck.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

What at should I ask?

Up in your area I think you'll be lucky to get more than $10k in the condition it's in, 10 yrs old needs work and few people are buying much right now. A guy at work bought an '08 last year with about 170k for $15k and its was in decent shape.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my (today) 06 3500 Megacab 5.9 diesel, automatic with 19200km. Good overall shape for $17500.00 plus gst.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way truck prices have went in the last 5 years it will only go up in value! That truck shouldn't be worth more then about 5-6k but if it's decent other then listed repairs probably see north of $10k. You gotta factor in if someone took it to a shop you're looking at dropping like $3500 into the truck. But if someone will pay a high price, why not?

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold on to it. Your list of work is on the small scale of replacement value. And the last of the 5.9.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hold on to it. Your list of work is on the small scale of replacement value. And the last of the 5.9.

Last of the 5.9, but not the good one's. 06's are plagued with injectors issues. It's still a good engine, but I personally wouldn't buy a 5.9 anymore, too old and the new 6.7 has proven to be very reliable, more power and still as good, if not better mileage. That being said if you got one and it's reliable, i'd drive it until it's no longer reliable.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last of the 5.9, but not the good one's. 06's are plagued with injectors issues. It's still a good engine, but I personally wouldn't buy a 5.9 anymore, too old and the new 6.7 has proven to be very reliable, more power and still as good, if not better mileage. That being said if you got one and it's reliable, i'd drive it until it's no longer reliable.

I have an 06 5.9 and it sucks on fuel but it's a dually so I thin they are harder then a srw on fuel. And it has an injector issue while idling.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't want to derail the thread but how do you tell if an injector is going? Buddy has an '06 completely stock and I notice it's quite hazy exhaust especially when cold. Other than visible grey exhaust it runs fine.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
We decided to list it. See what happens. It's not my daily driver so not super concerned about it until next spring. If it sells, great. If not, then I'll fix it!

Cummins610

Reaction score

Yup, still good engine but has possibility of breaking rings and gets les mileage than the older trucks. 2003-04.5 or buy a 6.7L

Last edited:

Cummins610

Reaction score
Good luck with the sale, I sold my 2006 last year for good money.

Top Bottom