Think outside the box-store

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post something that always gets to me this time of year....

Christmas is a holiday that encourages us to be generous with one another, and it feels good to give... But it is also a hectic time, and sometimes we lose the site of doing it responsibly, globaly.

Most don't consider the impact their purchases have on the environment, or their communities. The wrapping paper, boxes, and trees that fill the landfills after the holiday rush is just a bump on the surface.

I'd like to encourage people to think about some alternatives to shopping in the big box stores, where most of the merchandise is made overseas.

Here's a link to some ideas on how to keep your Christmas out of the stores. If you have any ideas that aren't on here, feel free to post.

Merry Christmas!
:xmas-smiley-018:

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post something that always gets to me this time of year....

Christmas is a holiday that encourages us to be generous with one another, and it feels good to give... But it is also a hectic time, and sometimes we lose the site of doing it responsibly, globaly.

Most don't consider the impact their purchases have on the environment, or their communities. The wrapping paper, boxes, and trees that fill the landfills after the holiday rush is just a bump on the surface.

I'd like to encourage people to think about some alternatives to shopping in the big box stores, where most of the merchandise is made overseas.

Here's a link to some ideas on how to keep your Christmas out of the stores. If you have any ideas that aren't on here, feel free to post.

Merry Christmas!
:xmas-smiley-018:

I so agree....I perfer small local businesses where the money stays in the community...

With my sisters....the gift is whatever we get for free......it can be anything as we are not choosy......it is the thought and we all have enough already...:eek::eek:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I so agree....I perfer small local businesses where the money stays in the community...

With my sisters....the gift is whatever we get for free......it can be anything as we are not choosy......it is the thought and we all have enough already...:eek::eek:

We love making presents for Christmas. Lots of love in the gifts. We adopted Rookie as our family Christmas present, and we ordered TV for our house as another family present.

I'm blessed, the kids are very thankful for the real meaning of Christmas.. I've never done Santa with them, just always focused on what it's really all about. We try to reach out a little more, and keep our eyes open for ways we can help out in our community.

sometimes we shop at second hand stores.. Why buy new stuff when you can recycle something already out there. Waste not, want not. The kids love the uniqueness of the gifts we find at the second hand store. We've found some really cool things over the years.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a lot of mine come from lost and found.......nobody claims it with in three months it gets thrown out......that is a waste so I shop....the rest goes to Vavenby Aux second hand store........:d:d

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do the second hand stores too... I've found some really cool stuff that brings back memories, and I love to recycle... Plus my favorite thrift store is run 100% by volunteers and donates all the money to buy much needed equipment for the local hospital, so it's a triple-threat LOL.

I found the board game Mouse-trap, which was a blast from the past on Christmas morning. It even had MOST of the game pieces!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:wtg:

I'm curious if anyone other than us rural peeps from BC post on here...LOL ;)

I grew up making everyone Christmas presents...you name it, I made it and everyone got it.LOL Usually involved some form of recycling...jars were a popular multi-use item. hahaah. Few years ago Steve and I took pics of the local scenery...hoodoos, etc. We then built our own rustic wood frames, which we'd never done before LOL...banged them up to age them and threw some stain on them...everyone got them and they look pretty darn good hangin on everyone's walls ;)

We like to pull names off the local Angel Tree for the less fortunate at Christmas. My business partner and I made it an annual tradition. We take minimum 6 names and always support the small local stores, and local craftspeople and artisans. I love to shop in the local artisans market :) Lots of talented peeps in the Kootenays. :cool:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:wtg:

I'm curious if anyone other than us rural peeps from BC post on here...LOL ;)

I grew up making everyone Christmas presents...you name it, I made it and everyone got it.LOL Usually involved some form of recycling...jars were a popular multi-use item. hahaah. Few years ago Steve and I took pics of the local scenery...hoodoos, etc. We then built our own rustic wood frames, which we'd never done before LOL...banged them up to age them and threw some stain on them...everyone got them and they look pretty darn good hangin on everyone's walls ;)

We like to pull names off the local Angel Tree for the less fortunate at Christmas. My business partner and I made it an annual tradition. We take minimum 6 names and always support the small local stores, and local craftspeople and artisans. I love to shop in the local artisans market :) Lots of talented peeps in the Kootenays. :cool:

Oh for sure!!
We make everything from Aromatherapy bath salts, massage oils, salves, aromatic pillows, slippers touques, bags, baking, gift certificats to exchange services, .. It's neat trading with the artsy crafty holistic peeps here.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year, I am going to pitch to my hubby's family that instead of buying each other (the adults) gifts next year, we should pool that money, and go out and buy a truck load of groceries and donate it to a local food bank, or women's shelter. Really, what do Kevin and I need that we don't have (that we won't go buy ourselves). Will his brother die without a PS3 game, or a new BluRay. I think NOT! Besides, for me, the joy is in giving, not recieving!
Now I hope that they don't laugh in my face when I bring this up. LOL

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this is not a gift......but I am part of the Ladies Aux of the legion here in Blue......every year we do a Welcome To Winter Dance for the christmas food hampers and Senior Choc. Our food hampers include a turkey and a gift certificate for one of the local stores in town.....This year we had 16 to give out....makes me sad that in a town of 200 we have 16 families that need a helping hand. But I am glad we can help them out......

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this is not a gift......but I am part of the Ladies Aux of the legion here in Blue......every year we do a Welcome To Winter Dance for the christmas food hampers and Senior Choc. Our food hampers include a turkey and a gift certificate for one of the local stores in town.....This year we had 16 to give out....makes me sad that in a town of 200 we have 16 families that need a helping hand. But I am glad we can help them out......

That's awesome Lex. ... It is unreal how many people live below the poverty line. I was surprised to learn some people I see from time to time do not have the bare neccesities of life.

We have taken backpacks full of school supplies, tooth brushes, fruit baskets, women's hygiene products, vitamins and diapers, etc.. and left them on the doorsteps of people.
Some resist reaching out, as they are humiliated... so we kind of sneaky deaky leave stuff.. :)

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year, I am going to pitch to my hubby's family that instead of buying each other (the adults) gifts next year, we should pool that money, and go out and buy a truck load of groceries and donate it to a local food bank, or women's shelter. Really, what do Kevin and I need that we don't have (that we won't go buy ourselves). Will his brother die without a PS3 game, or a new BluRay. I think NOT! Besides, for me, the joy is in giving, not recieving!
Now I hope that they don't laugh in my face when I bring this up. LOL

Great idea Femme :wtg:...my suggestion to the extended family to buy a goat for a family instead of trading gifts didn't go over well.:( They opted for lottery tickets that we trade each other. I'd feel better knowing that an unfortunate family had a goat to provide for them :)

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sneaky deaky LMAO.

I have a tradition of making Christmas ornaments. I stamp the bottom with the year, and usually tie it onto a package of homemade cookies or chocolates.

I love the thought of people pulling them out at Christmas time to hang them on the tree.

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all have more stuff than we need, and I think most of us hate the "obligated giving", where you HAVE to buy something because they always buy something for you. I like random acts of giving.

I love getting a jar of someone's pickles or jam. I make the popcorn twist recipe, you can get it from the package or the internet, and give that away to friends that have done favours. Peanut brittle, or almond brittle, in the microwave, too. Takes no time at all (unlike baking.)

Top Bottom