Things I have Learned in My Years of Riding Motorcycles

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything I know I learned on a Motorcycle

1. Dogs are cute and make great pets, but should never be allowed to play tag with your motorcycle.
2. Road rash is not fun
3. Scratches and gouges in your helmet are far better than scratches and gouges in your scalp.
4. Night bugs taste just as nasty as day bugs no matter what the bumper sticker says.
5. Whoever decided on a bag limit for deer should have an open season declared on him.
6. The first scratch on your bike wounds the heart.
7. Cars can move into your lane faster than you can move out of it.
8. Blind spots are wherever you are positioned behind any other vehicle.
9. Gravel sucks. So do lawyers…both about the same!
10. You will never have been seen by the person who hits you.
11. Your insurance company does not have your best interests at heart.
12. Leather is not for cool looks but rather is for survival.
13. Cage drivers who have never ridden a motorcycle in traffic are idiots.
14. Leather that has allowed you to survive looks cool.
15. You can slide a long way on asphalt.
16. The rock you just saw leave from under the wheel of the cage in front of you will, in all probability, leave a mark.
17. A small bird can remove a very large rider from his motorcycle at 65 mph.
18. The memories from one motorcycle ride are more intense and gratifying than a thousand memories from as many rides in a car.
19. A ride on a motorcycle is a special means to relax; a ride in a car increases tension.
20. When recovering from a motorcycle accident, the most prevalent thought is to get back on your bike and ride.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not IF you will crash its WHEN'...

this is the first rule every new rider needs to live bye,,, its reality if you are going to ride a few years,,,,

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Number 17 hits close to home. I nailed an owl at night doing 110 k. I was able to stay on the bike. What an impact that was.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit a sparrow doing about 60mph and that hurt bad enough, I couldn't imagine an Owl. The thing got caught in my jacket and lived, though it was a long time from 60 to 0 so I could get it out. I also got hit once with a fist sized rock that came out from between the duallys of a one ton, thank God for that windscreen and my full face helmet, no injuries other than to my shorts. Remember ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#20, I've been there, but it took four years to get back in the saddle. The price to fix, then alot of jitters to jump back on the bike.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#20, I've been there, but it took four years to get back in the saddle. The price to fix, then alot of jitters to jump back on the bike.

lol #20 for me I was out for a ride after fixing everything on my bike with my cast on still,,, ohhh to be real young again,,,, just a quick ride lol,, it was my right foot so I could still shift....:rolleyes:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
#20 for me - and it is tough to spend 8 weeks strapped into some kind of contraction because I busted my scapula.

Scapula fractures (the shoulder blade) account for approximately 1% of all fractures.
The scapula is sturdy and located in a protected place, so it rarely breaks. When it does, it is an indication that the individual was subjected to a considerable amount of force and that severe chest trauma may be present. High-speed vehicle accidents are the most common cause, but falls and blows to the area can also be responsible for the injury. Signs and symptoms are similar to those of other fractures: they include pain, tenderness, and reduced motion of the affected area.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing that happened to me about 20 years ago. Going home from Calgary on an 850 Norton Commando. I was coming up fairly quickly on an old air cooled Beetle. It was smoking a bit from the pipes. Just as I start to pass it, the VW blows its engine. I get hit with hot oil and pieces of piston. I got home without anything else happening. My buddy sees me pull up to the yard. He looks at my oil stained jacket and pants. Then he says "I don't understand why you ride that old junk". It still makes me smile when I think about it.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Race City i took a gopher off the knee at high speed, that leaves a mark.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as i sit here tonight back from 8 wonderfull days in the foothills i would like to thank everbody for my life and shall wear the pain of 8 broken ribs on lh side lh scapula + shoulder and collar bones and 3 rh ribs and of course badge belongs to all how have share the joy of laying down thier bikes now gentlemen how do we get over the (Your going to sell that thing or i am leaving conversation) any advice would be helpfull

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
as i sit here tonight back from 8 wonderfull days in the foothills i would like to thank everbody for my life and shall wear the pain of 8 broken ribs on lh side lh scapula + shoulder and collar bones and 3 rh ribs and of course badge belongs to all how have share the joy of laying down thier bikes now gentlemen how do we get over the (Your going to sell that thing or i am leaving conversation) any advice would be helpfull

Ouch!!!

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Time is about the only thing that will help get past that conversation, as the old saying goes you need to get back on that horse. Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dude!!!! That sucks man!! Was hoping to see you again at the next suds night, at this stage I'm hoping to see you again in one piece bro!!!! Get well soon man.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks B i will be at the next suds night no problem am a tough old bird so this is just a minor set back (Hurts like Hell) who nows a little physio might just be the inspiration i need to loss some weight for sleddn the good news is this summers vaction will have to happen in jan/ feb next year

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#20 for me...Bought the Busa the weekend after I was released from the U of A. Still wearing the clamshell and neck brace while I signed the cheque. More titanium in my back than on the bike.:eek: Can offer advice. There was no discussion...the wife just knows.:)

Top Bottom