Thin Ice

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use caution on ice in the alpine only 1/2" of ice covered by 12" of slush, as we had a guy find out the hard way.
This small pool was smaller than half a skating rink and we couldn't probe the bottom 25' from the shore line.
Eye opening scenario I wish I never witness again. All are well, recovered the sled and drove it down the mountain.

IMG_1040.JPG
How would your riding group handle this situation?

JDmotorhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use caution on ice in the alpine only 1/2" of ice covered by 12" of slush, as we had a guy find out the hard way.
This small pool was smaller than half a skating rink and we couldn't probe the bottom 25' from the shore line.
Eye opening scenario I wish I never witness again. All are well, recovered the sled and drove it down the mountain.

View attachment 162570
How would your riding group handle this situation?

Ran into the same deal in Revy last weekend by the Frisby cabin, a guy didn't even realize he was on thin ice until he went through, but with good old fashion sledders team work we managed to pull out his sled (11 of us) and he was lucky he was close to the cabin where he could go in a dry up, I got a feeling it would have been a bad deal if he was further in the backcountry! My buddy took pics, will try and get them and post.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been in the -30, -40 range for a couple weeks and we still don't have enough ice to be on. Big bodies of water but still....

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scary stuff right there, thanks for the photos to remind us all of early season hazards.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drilled the lakes and beaver ponds east of Edmonton on the Tri-County Club trails and only 2" of ice (Nov 25/13) with a foot of powder snow cover...did not freeze any more when we had 1 week at -20...so the snow is a fantastic insulator on the ice....and at not time ride near the water exits of lakes or ponds as the flowing water might never freeze very deep--- just enough to hold the snow on top---- not sure of the ice depth - stop and chop a hole, it will give you a better idea as to go or not

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drilled the lakes and beaver ponds east of Edmonton on the Tri-County Club trails and only 2" of ice (Nov 25/13) with a foot of powder snow cover...did not freeze any more when we had 1 week at -20...so the snow is a fantastic insulator on the ice....and at not time ride near the water exits of lakes or ponds as the flowing water might never freeze very deep--- just enough to hold the snow on top---- not sure of the ice depth - stop and chop a hole, it will give you a better idea as to go or not

Same is true around Whitecourt. Having to go around places we normally cross this time of year.

Top Bottom