The rising cost of eating out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What have you seen in the last little while?

I'm thinking the rise in the minimum wage is the biggest driver of higher prices on the final tab of a restaurant meal. Not only are the "newbies" at a restaurant making higher wages but it seems to me that all employees would get the same kind of raise (i.e. even the workers that are well above the minimum wage would receive a raise). Delivery/transport costs are higher due to an increase in minimum wages, production costs are higher due to an increase in minimum wages, cleaning/repairs/advertising.....etc have all contributed to the rising costs.

We used to be able to have a meal for two in the $50-70 range and now it is easily in the $70-100 range. I might be knit picking but dam it, I want some money left over for the high price of sled gas this winter!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working by Whitecourt, I feed my guys every night. Went to Boston Pizza for pasta Tuesday and fed 7 guys for $100. Not bad I think. Original Joes on Monday had $3 tacos. That bill was close to $100. No drinks though as we have a no drinking during the week.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbon tax instantly bumps the price of everything 10%. Those burgers had to get to the store somehow.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We go out for dinner once a month and it's usually to a healthier establishment and not any of the fast food chains. The days of going out for us are long gone as we are trying to keep expenses down and besides its cheaper for us to grab a pack of ribs, steaks make a salad,.. etc at home on the bbq.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ate this bad boy last night. Was only $30. The Trading Post just west of Sangudo has the best food.

Attachments

• 0D18CE5D-2836-4E1B-9C3F-ED945D66EDAA.jpg
    0D18CE5D-2836-4E1B-9C3F-ED945D66EDAA.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 419
  • 161A8656-0F51-40BC-B20D-1111C6C21783.jpg
    161A8656-0F51-40BC-B20D-1111C6C21783.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually $50 for two of us to eat out without drinks. We've been trying to do less of the quick fast food eat out for convenience when we're busy and instead plan a decent meal out ever couple weeks or so. Same money spent but at least on a much more enjoyable meal/experience.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eating out is getting expensive. 2 meals at McDonalds, not upsized, $21.00 total, when before, $12-15.

Since the min pay raise, I do find myself not tipping as much as before. Max, 10%. They get paid quite well hourly now that the tipping should be reflected as such.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking the rise in the minimum wage is the biggest driver of higher prices on the final tab of a restaurant meal. Not only are the "newbies" at a restaurant making higher wages but it seems to me that all employees would get the same kind of raise (i.e. even the workers that are well above the minimum wage would receive a raise). Delivery/transport costs are higher due to an increase in minimum wages, production costs are higher due to an increase in minimum wages, cleaning/repairs/advertising.....etc have all contributed to the rising costs.

We used to be able to have a meal for two in the $50-70 range and now it is easily in the $70-100 range. I might be knit picking but dam it, I want some money left over for the high price of sled gas this winter!!
The last time the gov't raised the minimum wage the senior workers at my wifes employment were told the employer couldn't afford to give everyone a raise so their wages stayed the same while the recent hires got increases. The end result was some people getting pissed off and quitting, not all were replaced (ostensibly to keep from raising prices to cover increased expenses)

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A&W coupons guys, can get a full breaky for $5

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wages go up in most industries so does consumer products. I think the rise in minimum wage is a good thing, especially when a apartment is 8-1000 a month, the cost of making a attempt to get a higher education is very expensive.
All due respect, I do believe your nitpicking, there are folks out there trying to get by, put food on the table, and put some gas in there car.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........ I do believe your nitpicking, there are folks out there trying to get by, put food on the table, and put some gas in there car.

To each their own opinion. I am sure the immigrant workers progress, save and eventually do just fine. These jobs in restaurants generally aren't meant to be major wage earner jobs but rather those for students or second/third/forth income in a family unit. The point I tried to make was that the cost has risen significantly and maybe higher than the small increase in the minimum wage. I have also noticed that in some establishments there is no 10% for tips as it has been increased to 15% and 20%.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each their own opinion. I am sure the immigrant workers progress, save and eventually do just fine. These jobs in restaurants generally aren't meant to be major wage earner jobs but rather those for students or second/third/forth income in a family unit. The point I tried to make was that the cost has risen significantly and maybe higher than the small increase in the minimum wage. I have also noticed that in some establishments there is no 10% for tips as it has been increased to 15% and 20%.

The minimum wage also helps those at the hardware store etc, not just the food industry. I see alot less foreign workers at timmies then in the past. Im not sure if your seeing something different where you live, but I see my friends and locals who are not foreign workers, out there on minimum wage trying to make a living or supplement the household income.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The minimum wage also helps those at the hardware store etc, not just the food industry. I see alot less foreign workers at timmies then in the past. Im not sure if your seeing something different where you live, but I see my friends and locals who are not foreign workers, out there on minimum wage trying to make a living or supplement the household income.

I agree but the old adage still holds. If you want to have a decent wage, get an education. Too many people think they are entitled and don't know how to work whether it is in the service industry or wherever.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Higher minimum wage leads to fewer jobs, and it hurts the least skilled people the most because they are the first to be let go.

If you bring value to a company they will pay you more than the minimum wage. If somebody is willing to work for 7$ an hour to
gain experience in the workforce, why should the government tell them they can't?

Top Bottom