The next problem in our snow pack

carbondaddy

Reaction score
Here's a photo of some surface hoar in the Revy area. Some of the crystals in the pic are about 3 cm across. With the recent high pressure weather system, there's been extensive valley cloud and bands of cloud at lower to mid altitudes. This has caused a lot of surface hoar which I've seen a couple inches deep in some areas. With daytime heating on sun exposed slopes we are also getting some surface crust developing. These two issues may create problems after the next significant snowfalls.
DSC02454.jpg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we will re-embrace ditchbanging and prairie poker rallies with a newfound enthusiasm this year. :(

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Nice post CD....when we didn't get the general, big heavy dump in our area to bring everything down, I was thinking....it is gong to be a long and dangerous winter. Be careful out there guys and gals....

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are seeing the same thing in the Fernie-Sparwood area...keep your guard up everyone!

I noticed it in Rolling Hills on Sunday; I dug down about 3ft and found sugar snow. Top three feet were set-up but under that was worthless!

carbondaddy

Reaction score
Ya. I think the lower facets will be in the snowpack all season, unless it slides. This new layer will be a concern when we get additional snow. Here's a link to the Canadian Avalanche Center - Regional Forecast This a regional forescast for the South Columbia region. Other regional forecasts are also available on the site. Place a shortcut of your region on your desktop, so it is easy to get to, and look at it and study the conditions before you ride!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we saw the same thing at Blue Lk but they were only in sheltered areas, treed meadows so may not be a problem.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup and up here in the north we just had 2 weeks of plus 8 straight .....all roads driveways ....were hard to walk, drive on .....so add snow ontop of that ..gonna be very very unsafe in the future ...

so we had 8 weeks of -35 to -47 straight ....that sure drys the snow making the same conditions as in the pics above ....then we get the heat wave right now its raining ...I was heading down the hiway this morning ....on ice covered roads with the wipers on hi ....turned around and came home .....truely an unpredictable winter

try it again tomorrow

Top Bottom