The little sled that couldn't, but now can. The Polaris 120 modded out.

Monsterworksinc

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
MONSTER WORKS Here is a story for all you guys and girls out there with kids that want to sled. This started out as a stock Polaris 120. Last year we installed a new Honda engine to increase the horse power and changed the gear ratio to make the power transfer better. That changed the machine substantially , but it still fell short in real snow.
SOOOOO. The next step was a long track kit that added a different suspension, wheels, drivers and the huge wide open running bounds and tunnel tail kit. Also added was a new set of skis to help the front end float. To add even more power we bored out the carb, shaved the head and ported the engine. NOW we have a real sled for our customer. And it rocks. The next step is to change the clutching to an system similar to a normal sled, if he wants. MONSTER WORKS 780-963-1847
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 826

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much to do the mod? I just bought 2 mini rev sleds and would be looking to modify one of them in a couple years.

Monsterworksinc

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
I will be putting it on the snow for some testing this week. I will have some then. I just have to figure out how to post it.

Monsterworksinc

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Unfortunately the cost is high. The kit alone from Recreational motor sports was $3000 by the time I got it, and about 20 hours of labor for install. That does not include the engine kit that was installed last year. It was around $2000. To complete the sled it would need a set of real clutches. That kit is another $800 but the install is crazy. You have to relocate the engine and drive shaft, and suspension. Big job. But now it will actually go pretty good. The engine kit did wonders. This kit is for a customer, so I don't get to give you long term results but I always talk to him and he sends me videos. I have two drank children now and have dibs on getting the machine back first.

Monsterworksinc

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Thanks. My youngest son working with the company,Jesse 20 did just about the whole thing with my supervision, and he is unbelievably committed to perfection, even more than myself. So the machine is done so nice.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What track did you get on there?

Maverick Max XRS
570 Berg.

Monsterworksinc

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
That turned out great. Nice job on the extension. We looked at going that way also, but everyone likes them a bit different.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing a couple of years ago and would never do it again. Even worse depreciation than a larger sled. LOL

If you are going to put this time and effort - I would recommend starting with a 300 Tundra (if you can find one). Easier for kids to handle in deeper snow than a 120. More flotation. More useable power. Wayyyyyy cheaper to mod.

If I were to do it again - I would get a younger kid one of the mini-snowbike kits once they are past the stock 120. They can actually ride those, zip pretty good through the deep attached to a Kawi 110 and half-azz keep up to you. Ca even get grip heater for them. Then if they wanted to sled - get them a 550 fanner once they get a little bigger. Or put them on a 200cc snowbike when they are 12 and watch them run circles around you. :)

I think those snowbike kits are the boss for those tweener ages.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the cost is high. The kit alone from Recreational motor sports was $3000 by the time I got it, and about 20 hours of labor for install. That does not include the engine kit that was installed last year. It was around $2000. To complete the sled it would need a set of real clutches. That kit is another $800 but the install is crazy. You have to relocate the engine and drive shaft, and suspension. Big job. But now it will actually go pretty good. The engine kit did wonders. This kit is for a customer, so I don't get to give you long term results but I always talk to him and he sends me videos. I have two drank children now and have dibs on getting the machine back first.

And people think Mountain Magic is expensive.

Top Bottom