The Effects of Reducing Weight on a Snowmobile

Justin @ C3 PowerSports

Reaction score
Website
www.c3powersports.com
The information provided here shows the advantages of using C3 Power Sports carbon fiber products, but is applicable to other methods of weight loss as well.

Reducing the weight of a snowmobile improves many of its characteristics such as responsiveness, acceleration/deceleration, floatation, and climbing ability. When carbon fiber is used to replace other materials to reduce the weight, increased strength and rigidity are also achieved. On top of all that, carbon fiber looks simply amazing.

By reducing weight, the machine becomes more responsive to rider inputs (easier to turn, lean, and control in the air). This is because the moment of inertia of the machine is reduced. The moment of inertia depends not only on weight, but the distribution of weight. Reduction of weight furthest away from the center of gravity will have the largest effect on response (C3 front and rear suspension components, and hood). This is also why manufacturers try to position the weight of the motor and rider close together. The weight of a given motor can't really be reduced much, but moving it close to the rider allows the rider to maneuver the machine easier. Anything that makes the machine require less force to maneuver will also decrease rider fatigue.

Weight reduction also means it takes less force to accelerate/decelerate the snowmobile and allows it to float on top of the snow easier because there is less pressure between the skis/track and the snow so these characteristics are also improved.

A snowmobile's acceleration and climbing ability is closely related to its overall Power-to-Weight Ratio. The overall weight is the total running weight of snowmobile including fuel, oil, coolant, and rider. Generally speaking with a properly tuned and clutched sled, the greater the ratio, the greater the performance.

Weight reduction modifications are excellent for people who are inexperienced with tuning, looking to improve handling/responsiveness, want a unique look, or have already done the power modifications and are looking to maximize those gains with one of the most advanced materials to ever be used on a snowmobile.

C3 Power Sports - manufacturer of carbon fiber snowmobile products such as chassis, suspension, hoods, tunnels, and other lightweight custom sled parts and complete mod shop.

Last edited:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
good info...

a few years back a friend didnt think loosing weight didnt make much of a difference...

so i told him to make a mark on a hill, so he did. then i told him to take off his jerry can/back pack and make another mark. climbed 20feet higher.

later he picked up his jerry can/back pack and was never able to hit that mark.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the easiest weight to shed water

ride hard get stuck

shovel dig and pull for an hour and a half sweat your bag off

lose 20 lbs of water

its just that easy

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys on the hill could/should shed 50# and ride better and live longer and yes it's free!!!I'm not like that at all as I only need to loose about 49#:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the easiest weight to shed water

ride hard get stuck

shovel dig and pull for an hour and a half sweat your bag off

lose 20 lbs of water

its just that easy

climb steep hill, roll sled down hill you just climbed. parts fall off, now your sled is lighter. :D combine this with the water weight loss above and you're probably close to 50 lbs :eek::eek::eek: Super simple :D

Justin @ C3 PowerSports

Reaction score
Website
www.c3powersports.com
We have just finished a few sled builds and have been able to reduce the weight by over 70 lbs on most 800 XP's (the lightest factory sled in its class)

On a 2009 Turbocharged 1200cc 4TEC with a 174" track and 3"lugs we were able to reduce the weight to 467lbs dry. The Stock version of this has a 137" track with 1.25" lugs no Turbo Kit and weighs over 529lbs dry.

Go to Sledbook.com to check out more C3 Sled Builds

1200 Turbo.jpg

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy wieght loss. Bring 10 beers with you in the woods. If you feel like you need to increase your performance, simply drink a beer. Repeat until your backpack is empty. Impress your friends with your new found ability/sled performance levels.

Flawless. :d

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have just finished a few sled builds and have been able to reduce the weight by over 70 lbs on most 800 XP's (the lightest factory sled in its class)

On a 2009 Turbocharged 1200cc 4TEC with a 174" track and 3"lugs we were able to reduce the weight to 467lbs dry. The Stock version of this has a 137" track with 1.25" lugs no Turbo Kit and weighs over 529lbs dry.

Go to Sledbook.com to check out more C3 Sled Builds

View attachment 37422
Just curious what is the cost and i am sitting down.

Justin @ C3 PowerSports

Reaction score
Website
www.c3powersports.com
Just curious what is the cost and i am sitting down.

A bare XP carbon fiber chassis costs $4695 (which is very reasonable if you need to replace a stock chassis)
Ou Chassis components kit costs $1495 (includes running boards coolers drop brackets bumber...)

Here Is a Picture of a Rolling Carbon Fiber 800XP Chassis​

rollingxpchassis.jpg

A Complete Carbon Fiber 800XP 162" with stock engine/suspension costs around $22,500 Call 250-833-3538 for more pricing and details

800polaris

Reaction score
Easy wieght loss. Bring 10 beers with you in the woods. If you feel like you need to increase your performance, simply drink a beer. Repeat until your backpack is empty. Impress your friends with your new found ability/sled performance levels.

Flawless. :d

THATS THE WORST THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN, your one of those drunks on the trails and backcountry that everyone else has to worry about.....:rant:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THATS THE WORST THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN, your one of those drunks on the trails and backcountry that everyone else has to worry about.....:rant:

Dude, I was kidding. I would have imagined the flawless and smiley face would have given it away. Enjoy your weekend.

Top Bottom