The Dore to Barkerville & back

skookum1

Reaction score
I'm looking for advise on routing a trip to Barkerville and back from the South Dore. Whether it was a successful trip or not, if not what were the problems? I've heard it's been done by dropping over the glacier. What about following the valley creek until it swings North and going west from there to Isaac lake? There is a set of rapids, are they manageable or bypassable? I'm going to find out next trip in. But I would appreciate any input, Thanks.

skookum1

Reaction score
I'm looking for information on routing to Barkerville from the South Dore. Even if it is info that is "Don't go this way." I've heard it has been done by dropping over the glacier? Looking at MapSource it looks like following the valley NW until the creek turns North then go west to Isaac Lake looks possible? The creek has a set of Rapids on the map, are they doable or bypassable? Thanks for your input.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for information on routing to Barkerville from the South Dore. Even if it is info that is "Don't go this way." I've heard it has been done by dropping over the glacier? Looking at MapSource it looks like following the valley NW until the creek turns North then go west to Isaac Lake looks possible? The creek has a set of Rapids on the map, are they doable or bypassable? Thanks for your input.

Passable on not you will need a skidder of fuel each and the climbs are tough enough with a bare tunnel never mind a skidder full of fuel. Don't want to discourage your travel plan but google the distance??

sledhunter

Reaction score
Other than fuel requirements there is also a Provincial Park that might take a dim view on snowmobiling in the Park. Something you might look into.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you want to ride Dore be prepared for what I have posted under March Conditions.....still your cup of tea?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way avvy conditions are these days, this may not be the year to attempt an epic treck through the mountains.

skookum1

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. I failed to check for a park, there is, I won't be making tracks there. I will be pushing the envelope to find untouched snow. I've got a couple of ideas of finding a safe connection between N & S Dore.
Note: Map Source actually names 2 lakes Isaac Lake, one is Bowran Lake.
Ride responsibly, ride safe.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. I failed to check for a park, there is, I won't be making tracks there. I will be pushing the envelope to find untouched snow. I've got a couple of ideas of finding a safe connection between N & S Dore.
Note: Map Source actually names 2 lakes Isaac Lake, one is Bowran Lake.
Ride responsibly, ride safe.

Don't push the envelope to hard, the trail you are looking for is there but this is not the year to do it. You must climb south facing chutes and that is just suicide. I have been riding the area for the past 8 years 2-5 trips a year and I won't go near those areas this year. Sketchy at the best of times. We are a hardcore group and you can ask anyone who has ridden with us and none of us are going back there this year. Bowran Park by the way used to have ontrail riding in the past which took you to Mitchel Lake which is the lake you look down on from Mount Roberts.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Don't push the envelope to hard, the trail you are looking for is there but this is not the year to do it. You must climb south facing chutes and that is just suicide. I have been riding the area for the past 8 years 2-5 trips a year and I won't go near those areas this year. Sketchy at the best of times. We are a hardcore group and you can ask anyone who has ridden with us and none of us are going back there this year. Bowran Park by the way used to have ontrail riding in the past which took you to Mitchel Lake which is the lake you look down on from Mount Roberts.

I will vouch for snochuk's credibility on this area. I have experience riding with these hardcore mofo's :eek: The Dore is a risky venture :nono: You will have very little or NO support from S&R should you get your arses in a sling. I'd rethink that trip if I were you.

skookum1

Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals. The info and the warnings will be headed. This is the wrong year to do chutes. The dream is alive, and will live longer if postponed for a safer time.

Top Bottom