More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenAndDistrictSAR/posts/889836724466620

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Tex78's "Avy Warning" use your head thread

There's no way in Hell I would consider going to Gorman
I love gorman, or well used to lol

If conditions permit it's a awsome area, vast and many challenges, I really love riding circue, but it's also the same zone as east quartz

There's just so much area there

But now living in sicamous, owlshead from the lot has 4 times the area as gorman ect does and with way way less risk

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't u guys think on some level that accidents are going to happen and that slides can happen anytime and anywhere even if u think your in a safe zone! Even experienced guys with Avy training could be caught in and a slide ! I know when I go sledding sometimes u just forget about the dangers because ur having such a great time !

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't u guys think on some level that accidents are going to happen and that slides can happen anytime and anywhere even if u think your in a safe zone! Even experienced guys with Avy training could be caught in and a slide ! I know when I go sledding sometimes u just forget about the dangers because ur having such a great time !
Oh forsure u just never no

But most this year to date have been huge, loaded avalanches, in areas that have consequences and traps that could be easy to just not go there terrain

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sure....but nothing in that picture even remotely fits in any of your statement. Being anywhere near that is just plain stupid....IMHO! :crazy::crazy:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

I love gorman, or well used to lol

If conditions permit it's a awsome area, vast and many challenges, I really love riding circue, but it's also the same zone as east quartz

There's just so much area there

But now living in sicamous, owlshead from the lot has 4 times the area as gorman ect does and with way way less risk
What's Gorman ect?

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is that slop south west facing ?? And where in the hell would you even ride in to that ???

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Tex78's use your head thread

Every time a special avalanche warning was issued this winter my first thought was "someone's going to die this weekend". In fact is was more than a thought. Co-workers and I talked about it. Every time I was right. I hate being right. I don't even read the condolence threads any more because I'm so fed up with being right.

PLEASE people.....make me wrong! :rant:

ok, as of the mass snow falls and high danger rating I went and got silly stuck on the dead flat cut blocks that no one was riding...guess there all playing in the shoots. Lucky me it was an epic day and only injury was a beer can that had a pin hole in it...I saved it by doing mouth to can. Everyone made it out safe that day.
My feel good storie for yah.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I plowed right up the middle of that one time way back when I first started into the sport, with other people on it..
I got a picture of it, that haunts me and makes me realize how stupid I once was, not even knowing I was doing something wrong, and how fast stupidity can affect your life and other peoples life. I'm just glad I'm here and able to talk about it, and share how stupid one can be. Please go out get the proper training. Don't let a incident or close call to be the thing to push you to do it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I plowed right up the middle of that one time way back when I first started into the sport, with other people on it..
I got a picture of it, that haunts me and makes me realize how stupid I once was, not even knowing I was doing something wrong, and how fast stupidity can affect your life and other peoples life. I'm just glad I'm here and able to talk about it, and share how stupid one can be. Please go out get the proper training. Don't let a incident or close call to be the thing to push you to do it.
I also have been past, up and down it

And also feel that it was retarded, at that point no avy training

Looking back, that picture gives u the big picture of it

Yes when ur on it, or through it, it may not seem like that

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

You figure it out as you think your so smart
That was a serious question. I've never been there. I thought maybe you meant east or something.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here ya go tex a place for you to tell people to be careful every time an avalanche happens so you can keep your advice and opinions out of threads meant to show respect and pass along condolences.

From here on before you even go into a thread about an avalanche come in here clear your mind. And then continue on to pass along your sympathies with a clear cool head

This is the dumbest idea for a thread ever...

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Tex78's "Avy Warning" use your head thread

And here is your place to say it

I have no issue what what you or the others have to say. I don't think your wrong in saying people make stupid decisions sometimes. But would it not be a better practice to come into this thread or another thread when a warning is issued and post. " hey guys be aware the Avy rating it at considerable, or there is a special bulletin issued, play safe out there Check the conditions in the area tour riding. Etc."
much like frozen pirate or Zacs does on a regular basis rather then every single time one happens going into a thread and derailing it.

And yes in this last one I saw you posted you condolences....... But then felt the need to come back and make a comment taking the focus of that thread away from paying respect.

You don't need to use this thread this one wasn't intended to last. But maybe if the conditions are bad post it in that riding areas thread. BEFORE. Rather than after the fact

Jmo. Please continue on with your informative posts

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But to post something here about something over there is the hardest and dumbest thing to follow or understand

And yes I will keep my informative posts where I think best, just like where your informative posts u make and where u think they are best

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And here is your place to say itBut maybe if the conditions are bad post it in that riding areas thread. BEFORE. Rather than after the fact

Canadian Avalanche Center already does that.....and people don't listen. What makes you think they'll listen to Tex, or anyone else for that matter? Human beings are stubborn creatures. Sometimes you have to be brutally blunt to get them to listen and change their thinking, but sadly it seems to only be effective AFTER a tragedy happens. I'll take some flack for this but, Tex has the balls to say what a lot of us including myself are thinking. Good on him for it. Is a condolence thread the right place for it? Beats me. I don't read them any more.

Flame on fellow sledders. I've got big shoulders. :beer:

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Canadian Avalanche Center already does that.....and people don't listen. What makes you think they'll listen to Tex, or anyone else for that matter? Human beings are stubborn creatures. Sometimes you have to be brutally blunt to get them to listen and change their thinking, but sadly it seems to only be effective AFTER a tragedy happens. I'll take some flack for this but, Tex has the balls to say what a lot of us including myself are thinking. Good on him for it. Is a condolence thread the right place for it? Beats me. I don't read them any more.

Flame on fellow sledders. I've got big shoulders.
Thanks dude

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was listening to CBC today and they said so far this winter season there has been 7 deaths cause by avalanche. All snowmobiler's.
Out of the seven sledder's six were Albertan's. They said that it's a troubling trend.

A huge black mark for sledders in general and IMO there is something very wrong with this trend.
The info is out there people concerning the dangers.

Top Bottom