temperature fluctuations

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 5.9 cummins with 107,000 k
Noticed as i was driving today temp was higher than usual around 90 -95 c.
Im wandering if this is normal, never noticed this before. I think the problem maybe the thermostat not opening up properly. i don`t have a lot of experience with cooling systems, so any advice
I herd that on these large cooling systems the thermo cycles a lot and the stem scores up and sticks closed.
Thanks

mel.h

Reaction score
I have a 06 Cummins, that is where mine has run right from new so I wouldn't worry about it. If it climbs up over a 100 when towing in hot weather or a long pull, then you may have a issue. Last year I went over the Coquihalla pulling my holiday trailer, grossing out close to 14,000 lbs & the temp would climb over 95, close to 100, the fan would kick on & cool it back down. if your lugging the engine & the heat is building, normally the trans should shift down to keep a higher rpm which of course helps lower the heat quicker. P.S. If you still have the converter in the exhaust, that keeps the temps up too.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey mel.h
These temps were just driving in the city, no load.
When i was pulling the trailer this summer my temps seemed normal like yours, seems weird because i never noticed the temp gauge fluctuate before, would always stay steady on 90c city driving, mel.h i have the turbo back exhaust so should be good there.
Maybe im just paranoid and theirs no issue.
Thanks

mel.h

Reaction score
I have a AFE stage II air intake, no cat & the full 4" magnaflow exhaust & my temp runs around 95 all day long, even in the city. Keep a eye on it, but for now I personally would not be too worried.:beer:

Top Bottom