Tell me why you ride without a radio?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a radio but its a bit annoying some people never shut up haha . U guys are right people should have radio, gps with bar mount , extra gas ,plugs food , know how to make fire , flashlight , avy gear , training etc. Most people don't have ****.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question Ray. Can't read the screens on anything once my reading glasses fog up or I lose my glasses in the snow. Cause then I can't find my glasses without my glasses. Or I like hearing myself hollering to find someone in the thick bush, or to see if your voice will carry over to the nest drop off or draw. I like to make random fires to kill time and people ask why. Then I ask them if they can and usually the answer is no, or why would they.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radios are great, but make sure your emergency contacts have your radio channel and they can relay that to S&R, we started leaving a bold noteon the dash of the truck with out names and radio channels on it just in case.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radios are great, but make sure your emergency contacts have your radio channel and they can relay that to S&R, we started leaving a bold noteon the dash of the truck with out names and radio channels on it just in case.

That’s exactly what we have been doing. We leave all the names, radio channel and approximate ride area.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Good question Ray. Can't read the screens on anything once my reading glasses fog up or I lose my glasses in the snow. Cause then I can't find my glasses without my glasses. Or I like hearing myself hollering to find someone in the thick bush, or to see if your voice will carry over to the nest drop off or draw. I like to make random fires to kill time and people ask why. Then I ask them if they can and usually the answer is no, or why would they.

Seems like we should have radios when we go to the bar so we can find you. LOL...

Radios are an awesome tool. Helped out on many occasions.

I still think everyone should carry a whistle also.
Man can you ever hear those things....

I still beleive in making a plan and sticking to the plan.
When you stop in an area to play, keep an eye on each other. Have set pairs of people to watch each other if group is large, etc.
Only ride a set distance and regroup to ensure everyone is there......

Hard to use any of these devices if your azz up in a tree well or sled is on top of you....

Had a tree avalanche on me...Damn things pop up eveywhere. Could not move or reach the mic button.
Funny as hell when the boys got there....I did not think it was to funny at the time. Little panicked for a few minutes. LOL

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been dirt biking and snowmobiling for 35 years...never carried a radio once. I also don't ride in groups of 40, or with someone who would just leave me or anyone else alone on the mountain for the night. Christmas day and Boxing day I rode around the Nelson area, as we spent Christmas with the inlaws. Both days it was a group of 6 people, nobody had a radio. I did bring my Garmin Inreach though incase I had to text the wife out location for a helo rescue or something. I guess that I'm just old school or something. I do practice with my beacon, as does my wife and daughter. I carry a shovel, probe, and beacon, but no airbags or radio. Who knows maybe in 2040 I will have both of those to, I did start carrying a probe and beacon in 2005, didn't have those before then...and got an Inreach in 2018, so baby steps.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was down in a deep gully with a lot of trees and seemed like my Gps couldn't point me in the direction to get out but may have been the guy operating it too.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Inreach works in deep valleys, trees, etc just fine!
A radio isn't going to reach town from a mountain valley to call for help.
Actually these will.
Have tagged the house in town from back by turbo on boulder mountain.

Also work good for talking with helicopters and search and rescue.

But some kids are just too cool.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you guys won't ride without..... radio plus spare battery, beacon, shovel, probe, enough supplies for two nights, cellphone, GPS, spot x, inreach, avalanche bag, jerry cans of gas, tool boxes, 3 spare belts, 4 spare plugs, extra sox and underwear, extra gloves, pizza oven and a outhouse.

You guys must look like the grinch stole Christmas out there.

All that "wont go without" gear but still complaining about trail fees.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you guys won't ride without..... radio plus spare battery, beacon, shovel, probe, enough supplies for two nights, cellphone, GPS, spot x, inreach, avalanche bag, jerry cans of gas, tool boxes, 3 spare belts, 4 spare plugs, extra sox and underwear, extra gloves, pizza oven and a outhouse.

Who complains about that??

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You forgot beer....

Top Bottom